ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

I think the physicality of the game back in the 80’s and 90’s gets way over romanticized.
As in "the game wasn't as physical as it was made out to be"?

Or as in "it was sometimes too physical and that took away from the art and beauty of the game"?

I think the physicality of the game back in the 80’s and 90’s gets way over romanticized.
No, it was real. No hype of romanticization. Here's an example of what we mean. Kevin McHale clotheslines Kurt Rambis in the 1984 Finals. Today this would be a Flagrant 2 foul with an automatic ejaculation and 1 game suspension without pay. You know what the actual call was on this play? This was a simple common foul. Two free throws and the game moved on. Nothing else.

Back then, there was a "no layup" rule that was common from the NBA all the way to HS ball. Teams were coached to never give up a layup under any circumstances and if you didn't you were considered a pvssy by your teammates, coaches and opponents. That's why the game was so physical and why I will always be convinced that Michael Jordan was the greatest of all time. Not even close. He had guys beating up on him night in and night out and he still beat their sorry asses. You remember the "Jordan Rules"? Every team was coached to bump him, hold him, grab him, elbow him, knee him, whatever it took to try and disrupt his game. It never worked. The guy just played and beat you. No whining to the refs, the media or anyone else. He just beat you and went home. Unlike all the bitches today like Lebron who believe they should have a different set of rules just for them.

No, it was real. No hype of romanticization. Here's an example of what we mean. Kevin McHale clotheslines Kurt Rambis in the 1984 Finals. Today this would be a Flagrant 2 foul with an automatic ejaculation and 1 game suspension without pay. You know what the actual call was on this play? This was a simple common foul. Two free throws and the game moved on. Nothing else.

Back then, there was a "no layup" rule that was common from the NBA all the way to HS ball. Teams were coached to never give up a layup under any circumstances and if you didn't you were considered a pvssy by your teammates, coaches and opponents. That's why the game was so physical and why I will always be convinced that Michael Jordan was the greatest of all time. Not even close. He had guys beating up on him night in and night out and he still beat their sorry asses. You remember the "Jordan Rules"? Every team was coached to bump him, hold him, grab him, elbow him, knee him, whatever it took to try and disrupt his game. It never worked. The guy just played and beat you. No whining to the refs, the media or anyone else. He just beat you and went home. Unlike all the bitches today like Lebron who believe they should have a different set of rules just for them.

Automatic ejaculation? Autocorrect wins again! 😂

EDIT: and btw, you are absolutely correct on everything else you said.

Automatic ejaculation? Autocorrect wins again! 😂

EDIT: and btw, you are absolutely correct on everything else you said.
Q will the Celtics make NBA history tonight and become the first team to come from being down 3/0 and win the series?

I say yes
anyone else got an opinion

Well, glad I didn’t put money on it. I’d have lost my ass.
I didn't see it but I just saw the score. Apparently Miami dominated from start to finish and Jimmy Butler came up huge give him credit. Game 7 NBA finals on the road.

So now we more have Miami/Denver.

As in "the game wasn't as physical as it was made out to be"?

Or as in "it was sometimes too physical and that took away from the art and beauty of the game"?
No, the game was definitely physical back then. But I just believe it is over romanticized about how physical it actually was.

You put that 2017 Warriors team up against any of those teams from the 80's and 90's and they beat them in a 7 game series. Skill beats physicality any day in basketball.

I don't need to watch highlights. I grew up in the late 70's and 80's and watched plenty of basketball.

No, the game was definitely physical back then. But I just believe it is over romanticized about how physical it actually was.

You put that 2017 Warriors team up against any of those teams from the 80's and 90's and they beat them in a 7 game series. Skill beats physicality any day in basketball.
I don't disagree that the sharp shooters would definitely be a hand full early in the series.
But it becomes really hard to shoot with a sprained wrist, jammed middle finger, twisted ankle, and hyperextended knee- which is what most of them would have after about game 3.

I just don't see today's point guards penetrating the lane on a guy like Ewing or Rodman and nor walking away with some bruises.

Reactions: freeper
I don't disagree that the sharp shooters would definitely be a hand full early in the series.
But it becomes really hard to shoot with a sprained wrist, jammed middle finger, twisted ankle, and hyperextended knee- which is what most of them would have after about game 3.

I just don't see today's point guards penetrating the lane on a guy like Ewing or Rodman and nor walking away with some bruises.
That's the thing, that Warriors team would beat you from the outside and wouldn't have to get into the paint. Look, I loved watching basketball in the 80's and 90's as that was the era I grew up in. I just think the physicality gets a little over hyped from that era is all.

Who ever thinks that today's game isn't at physical as it used to be isn't watching the NBA. Has anyone here watched Kevon Looney? The guys a thug what he got away with in the Kings/Warriors series was ridiculous.

And there was the other guy on the Warriors Zaza Pachula that cheap shot he took on Kawhi Leonard a few years ago destroyed the spurs chances in that series.

Bruce Bowen, Draymond, I could go on and on.

I don't need to watch highlights. I grew up in the late 70's and 80's and watched plenty of basketball.
I grew up in the same era. It was far more physical and demanding back then. Shooters had a very difficult time getting open because of the holding and pushing that was allowed on the perimeter. No way Klay or Steph would get the open looks like they do today. Because today you’re not allowed to hold or push guys who are trying to get open. It’s a foul today but it wasn’t a foul in the 80’s. The “hand check” rules were instituted in the late 90’s to make the game more pleasant to watch and to increase scoring. Back then, teams had a hell of a time to score 90 points. Especially in the playoffs where scores were sometimes in the 70’s and 80’s

Today it’s common for teams to score in the 120’s because of the way the game is called. Fans wanted more scoring and less ground and pound defense.

I grew up in the same era. It was far more physical and demanding back then. Shooters had a very difficult time getting open because of the holding and pushing that was allowed on the perimeter. No way Klay or Steph would get the open looks like they do today. Because today you’re not allowed to hold or push guys who are trying to get open. It’s a foul today but it wasn’t a foul in the 80’s. The “hand check” rules were instituted in the late 90’s to make the game more pleasant to watch and to increase scoring. Back then, teams had a hell of a time to score 90 points. Especially in the playoffs where scores were sometimes in the 70’s and 80’s

Today it’s common for teams to score in the 120’s because of the way the game is called. Fans wanted more scoring and less ground and pound defense.
Amen. Watch the hand checking in that era. Doesn't matter how quick you are if the defender just "guides" you away from the goal.

Reactions: Metcalf #2

Kind of like this great physical defense?? Teams had a hell of a time scoring because there was maybe 3 to 3 guys on a team that could shoot the basketball. Now everybody from the 1 to the 5 can shoot the ball. Like I said, that era of basketball is over romanticized.

These are 2 of the best teams of the 70's 80's and 90's and look how pathetic that defense is.

Last edited:
Kind of like this great physical defense?? Teams had a hell of a time scoring because there was maybe 3 to 3 guys on a team that could shoot the basketball. Now everybody from the 1 to the 5 can shoot the ball. Like I said, that era of basketball is over romanticized.

These are 2 of the best teams of the 70's 80's and 90's and look how pathetic that defense is.

It's funny because in the clip, Hubie Brown is flat out saying that nobody is playing any defense-- like they normally would play.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Amen. Watch the hand checking in that era. Doesn't matter how quick you are if the defender just "guides" you away from the goal.
It's widely accepted that Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward ever to play. Even Charles Barkley said so.
Duncan played against Jordan at the peak of his powers 97-98- as well as after Jordan retired and came back to Washington.

Duncan's mentor, David Robinson, warned Duncan early in his career about how physical the game was and how important it was to take care of all the bumps and bruises.

Then in 2004- the hand checking rule vanished. The game became more about skill than strength and power. As Kevin Garnett said "Can you imagine NOT being able to hand check Jordan?". And "the game is less physical now..."
He's right. Jordan would fvcking cream people in today's game.
It's pretty simple- you throw Gary Payton on the court with today's rules and he fouls out before half time.
You throw Steph Curry on the court in 94 and he'd be shooting everything from half court-- because that's as close as he'd be allowed to get to the basket.
Yes- the game has changed.

It IS more about skill now- and that's fine. But like everything else in life, we've NERFed the sh!t out of it. Intimidation is no longer allowed. Bullying on the court is not longer allowed. You can't HAMMER a guy going up for a dunk to send a message. You can't body check a guy coming down the lane.

I fvcking hate it.

Here's Garnett-

A tweet from a Russell Westbrook fan. Speaking of no defense 😂 😂 😂

Lol. Jokic is great. C’mon man. I just like giving Cali a hard time.
It's going to be good series wouldn't surprise if it goes 7. These teams matchup very well.

And a special shout-out to Miami coach Erik Spoelstra.

Last edited:
So what does the roster currently look like?
Disu
Abmas-- dude is really good
Mitchell
Hunter
Brock
That transfer from Virginia

Somebody help me out. Front court looks good. Starting guards look solid. I'm forgetting a few

So what does the roster currently look like?
Disu
Abmas-- dude is really good
Mitchell
Hunter
Brock
That transfer from Virginia

Somebody help me out. Front court looks good. Starting guards look solid. I'm forgetting a few
Chendall Weaver was another transfer from UTA. Kid was highly underrated coming out of high school and has tons of upside.

Great to see SirJabari Rice picked up by the Spurs on a 2-way contract. Great pickup by the Spurs as an undrafted free agent. He’ll be playing mostly in Austin for the Spurs’ G League affiliate.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT