ADVERTISEMENT

California game thread

Very proud of the offense for putting up 44 pts. Proud of the defense for pitching a shutout in the 4th quarter.

Baby steps, I said at the beginning that this team is going to be salty by the end of the year. Well, Baylor better watch out because they are moving ahead of schedule.

Without sounding like a moral victory. Texas was the better team, but lost on a fluke play. This is the type of loss young teams have, they need to put it behind them and move on. Learn from their mistakes and don't make them again. I don't usually feel good after a loss, but this one is different. I feel pretty good that the offense is moving in the right direction.

I love you Tyrone, I'm proud that you are part of this University and I hope you graduate and have a successful career. But this team now belongs to J Heard and he is the undisputed leader.

Heart breaking loss.
If there is such a thing as a moral victory this game could be it, for players, for coaches, for fans.
I think everybody gained more confidence tonight from top to bottom... Well except for the defense.

We lost, but the team is making progress, should we cry about losing? Maybe, but few expected us to win and those of us that know this team know that it is improving which is what we want to see.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I actually believe Texas will make a bowl game now. Cal would be a middle of the pack Big12 team. Good offense, bad defense. I really think Texas had a much more athletic team than Cal.
Texas will face a ton of bad defenses from here on out and I expect them to take advantage. The DL is a disaster, but this is not a line of scrimmage league. It is a QB, and perimeter player league. Unless the Cal defense was other worldly bad, Texas may have a QB. The skill on the perimeter is above average.

The next 4 games for Texas will tell the tale.

If Texas goes 0-4 I doubt we make a bowl game. And strong will be coaching for his life next year.

If Texas goes 1-3 I think we will end up 6-6 again and likely end the season just like last year.

If Texas goes 2-2, I don't think Texas loses another game until Baylor.

If Texas goes 3-1, I think Texas ends the season undefeated until their bowl game.

If Texas goes 4-0, Well who am I kidding, this one ain't happening.

I think Texas goes 3-1.

I know we said this about Cal, but OSU is really going to set the stage for this season.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Strong should turn these officials in, two absolute terrible calls

I had to miss this whole game, although I have it taped. I read through this thread and my biggest take away so far is that madcow will have a huge hangover today, and I will never take anything he says seriously from this point forward.

Other than the Offensive turn around Texas is having the best thing I saw from the Cal game was NO QUIT!....I loved that they fought and kept fighting......good things happen when you keep fighting and playing hard......

I am super concerned about our defense....the defensive line is not young and that is not an excuse they can use......We lost Hall and Haines in the first half which wasn't good........but I didn't see much of Boyd out there......our young secondary should be good in the future......we have GOT to get some DTs NOW...

I know we changed QBs but how BAD was Watson???? Good grief.....our OL looks better our playcalling actually took me by surprise a few times......I liked this offense and if Heard can become a better passer LOOK OUT.......

Reactions: westx
Longtime reader and occasional poster, A&M by blood, UT by graduate school. Just wanted to come on here and say that game was awesome. Despite the loss, have to think that team finds a way to win 6 if not 7-8 this year. TCU and OU are winnable games because of those teams' D and I have to imagine each week y'alls D will take a (tiny?) step forward. Not going to face many O's that good again. If things go the way I think for A&M, think there's another good chance UT/A&M could be matched up in a bowl. Spare me the debate, just excited that both of these schools' futures look bright.

Also, maybe a topic for the recruiting thread but, does Strong even let Watson go out on the recruiting trail after this? His credibility doesn't exist at this point.

Actually, I'm concerned we lose Buchele if we can Watson, Well I'm about 30% concerned. Buchele is in a perfect position that if he redshirts next year he will go into his redshirt freshmen year while Heard is a redshirt Junior so he will get PT and grooming for a 2 year run as the starter.

My take is this. UT has a QB and I am shocked their coaches could not tell the difference in which QB to start the season with. Cal is a good team but made a lot of mistakes, just as UT did. If UT can use Heard and help him to progress, the opposing defenses will have to start putting a "shadow" on him, which should help Gray look better. The Texas D didn't slow down ND, Rice, or Cal, so the Big XII offenses should be licking their chops.
If I were a UT fan, the bottom line would be that there is real hope for the first time in a few years. Strong needs a couple more recruiting classes before the program will really show whether he is "the man" or the former UT coach.
The next four games will be tough for Texas, but they sure better shut down OsU, because the chances of victory will decrease until later in the season.
The biggest thing is that a Mack Brown team would likely have folded in that fourth quarter but this team fought back in a big-time way. This year may be bad for UT, but this team showed the fact that they can take lemons and make lemonade instead of simply making sour faces and quitting. In this game, they did not quit, and that is the most important hope for the future.
Just don't get any better before they get to the RRS!

Actually, I'm concerned we lose Buchele if we can Watson, Well I'm about 30% concerned. Buchele is in a perfect position that if he redshirts next year he will go into his redshirt freshmen year while Heard is a redshirt Junior so he will get PT and grooming for a 2 year run as the starter.

Well, if Kai redshirts this year, Shane may only get one year as a starter.

Yeah as I've said before I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see somebody transfer. I would hate it, but it could be Kai. If he stays though, I'd look for Shane to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT