ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Daniels commits to Texas

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Daniels makes Big 12 decision
Jason Howell | Recruiting Analyst

glo0ksqpdwgjhhmo3x1y

The mystery is over, and the ink is drying. Euless (Texas) Trinity Rivals250 defensive tackle Chris Daniels is done.

“I’m going to Texas,” Daniels said.

There were several reasons for his decision, but one of the biggest reasons was who will join him in Charlie Strong’s 2016 class.

“To be honest the players that are coming in, a lot of people don’t know we’re about to make history at UT. A lot people that are silently committed, a lot of people who are committed. A lot of four stars. We’re about to make it happen. We’re about to make history.”

Of course, his future teammates were not the only reasons.

“The coaches too,” Daniels said. “Out of all the coaching staffs I’ve been around, these coaches are the most genuine, and I have so much in common with these coaches. They’ve been through what I’ve been through. Honestly I feel at home here and I love Austin.”

The Texas head coach also played a major role in his decision.

“To be honest coach Strong is like Uncle Charlie,” Daniels said. “He went to school with my grandfather and uncle so we had some history there. Then we started talking about where we are from. We’re from Arkansas and he just had a real good connection with my father and grandparents."

Daniels had to make some tough decisions in the final few months of the recruiting process. Texas offered just before he committed to Oklahoma in December. Texas A&M re-entered the picture in January. Oklahoma was always there in his corner.

The Sooners remained in the picture even after his decommitment, but even before he knew he would be a Longhorn there was a point Daniels began to see the tide turn for the Longhorns.

“A couple of days before my official coach Brian, the linebackers coach, came in and he was talking to me and I was really into it,” Daniels said. “I was like man, this is some place I could really go. I was really considering them. That was the first time I really thought about considering a college I hadn’t visited the campus yet. Or taken an official visit yet.

“It was something real special when I was listening to what he had to say about what he could do for me and my life. Even after football. That really turned it up for me when I was listening to him. Because God forbid I get injured would I like living there, check mark for Austin. Could they offer something outside of football, check mark. There were just a lot of checks about them”

Daniels then took his visit to Austin, and after taking his final two official visits to Tennessee and Texas A&M, he arrived at his decision.

Now he is looking forward to his days in burnt orange

“I’m just looking forward to grinding. I’m ready for this college football,” Daniels said. “I know there’s a difference between high school and college, and I’m definitely geared up for my boy Patrick (Vahe). He said just grind it out. He said we’re both from the same hometown and everything. He said if I can do it, you can do it. That’s like my big brother so I’m ready for it. I’m ready to grind as a Longhorn.”

With his decision made and his papers signed, there was only one thing left to say.

“I’m a Longhorn,” Daniels said. “Y’all be ready, I’m coming in.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News