ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Del Conte's first major coaching change..?

Back to softball for a minute......

Walton seems more like a pipe dream. He has Florida on a roll and a BRAND new facility is coming. Not sure any big name head coaches will be in the works and Cat would be nice but she's never been a head coach before. Also, and this is the scary part about softball, many of the kids she would be recruiting nationally don't know who she is. There is no sense of history in the young softball recruits. They know the teams that go to the World Series or the teams that have gaudy facilities and most of recruiting is controlled by club coaches that only "allow" their players to go to those teams.

Texas can become a major player again but I believe it will be with a grinder of a coach that wants to recruit his/her butt off in addition to a MAJOR investment in the program. Just my thoughts.....

Back to softball for a minute......

Walton seems more like a pipe dream. He has Florida on a roll and a BRAND new facility is coming. Not sure any big name head coaches will be in the works and Cat would be nice but she's never been a head coach before. Also, and this is the scary part about softball, many of the kids she would be recruiting nationally don't know who she is. There is no sense of history in the young softball recruits. They know the teams that go to the World Series or the teams that have gaudy facilities and most of recruiting is controlled by club coaches that only "allow" their players to go to those teams.

Texas can become a major player again but I believe it will be with a grinder of a coach that wants to recruit his/her butt off in addition to a MAJOR investment in the program. Just my thoughts.....
Cat has been recruiting for Texas State the last few years and doing it very well. Kids today may not of seen her play but she’s not exactly an unknown on the circles either.

Plus being able to put Olympic gold on the kitchen table isn’t a bad tool either. If we can’t get a big name hire an up and comer like Cat. I know everyone likes proven names but sometimes the up and comer is the way to go.

I'm actually surprised a school bigger than Texas State hasn't hired Cat by now. Her pitching prowess is alone worth her pay, not to mention the instant recruiting edge you get by having a legend and Olympic gold-medalist as your pitching coach. Texas State has done very well for themselves in the years Cat has been there. I'm curious why a big-time school hasn't tried to bring her into the fold as an Assistant/pitching coach.

I'm actually surprised a school bigger than Texas State hasn't hired Cat by now. Her pitching prowess is alone worth her pay, not to mention the instant recruiting edge you get by having a legend and Olympic gold-medalist as your pitching coach. Texas State has done very well for themselves in the years Cat has been there. I'm curious why a big-time school hasn't tried to bring her into the fold as an Assistant/pitching coach.
Understand that just because Cat was a phenomenal player, that doesn' mean that she knows how to coach..

Understand that just because Cat was a phenomenal player, that doesn' mean that she knows how to coach..
She’s already proven to be a good coach/recruiter. That’s not really a question. The only question is can she go from good assistant to a good head coach. Which is a hurdle all coaches have to clear eventually.

Reactions: westx
Cat has been recruiting for Texas State the last few years and doing it very well. Kids today may not of seen her play but she’s not exactly an unknown on the circles either.

Plus being able to put Olympic gold on the kitchen table isn’t a bad tool either. If we can’t get a big name hire an up and comer like Cat. I know everyone likes proven names but sometimes the up and comer is the way to go.

Yeah, the Olympics are the pinnacle for women's softball and if you're playing in college that is your ultimate dream. If you don't know who Cat is you're either a dumbass or don't really give a shit about your sport. Same goes for the "club" coaches.

Reactions: westx
Yeah, the Olympics are the pinnacle for women's softball and if you're playing in college that is your ultimate dream. If you don't know who Cat is you're either a dumbass or don't really give a shit about your sport. Same goes for the "club" coaches.
I was going to respond to d1softballfan because he mentioned recruits don't know who she is. Cat's wikipedia page has too many accolades to even list. I believe that her number was retired in the pro league and also has set records in addition to her collegiate and olympic records.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I wonder when we will hear news on this. I'm guessing CDC is waiting until the WCWS is complete next week and all the coaches are "available."

I wonder when we will hear news on this. I'm guessing CDC is waiting until the WCWS is complete next week and all the coaches are "available."
Only reason to wait that long is if you are going to try to lure one of those big name coaches.

If you could make a splash hire before the weekend, Texas could possibly obtain a ton of media attention with the WCWS going on. A splash hire would definitely get talked about during the broadcast.
On a side note, if yall haven't watched a top level softball game, make that an item on the bucket list. The atmosphere is electric and the talent is off the charts.

If you could make a splash hire before the weekend, Texas could possibly obtain a ton of media attention with the WCWS going on. A splash hire would definitely get talked about during the broadcast.
On a side note, if yall haven't watched a top level softball game, make that an item on the bucket list. The atmosphere is electric and the talent is off the charts.
Yeah. Softball is a very underrated sport. A lot of fun to watch when played at a high level.

I’m surprised you think Texas will be better than A&M.
I don't know if you will be better but you should be based on schedule. Every major team you play is replacing a good QB (TCU will probably be an upgrade). You have both of yours back, plus your defense should be good. Also, your players should be more familiar with the coaching staff and system this year. That is what I used as evidence for my prognostication.

I don't know if you will be better but you should be based on schedule. Every major team you play is replacing a good QB (TCU will probably be an upgrade). You have both of yours back, plus your defense should be good. Also, your players should be more familiar with the coaching staff and system this year. That is what I used as evidence for my prognostication.

But the Ags schedule is not tougher...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT