ADVERTISEMENT

Could Jonathan Cunningham be UT's second LB take in the 2025 class?

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
53684724887_f5b353e29d_c.jpg

Linebacker Jonathan Cunningham has a handful of official visits coming up, starting with a trip this coming weekend. The North Crowley standout will be at TCU beginning on Friday. In June, he’ll take official visits to Arizona State (June 7), Texas (June 14) and Kansas (June 21). Those four schools would seem to have the inside track for Cunningham’s eventual commitment, but he said he’s keeping all options open.

“I’m looking at them and then I’m going to add some more,” Cunningham said.

The 6-2, 195-pound Cunningham took an unofficial visit to Texas in mid-April, where he had a chance to take in UT practice. He liked what he saw on the field and liked the interaction with Texas assistant coach Johnny Nansen.

“I like how they practice, the intensity of the practice. When I went down there, they weren’t in pads so they barely had contact, but the energy was still there,” Cunningham said. “Then I like coach Nansen. He’s been calling me.”

The message from Nansen is pretty clear and direct.

“I like how he tells me how I’d really fit in.”

Cunningham said he’d like to make a decision in the summer, probably in June or July. Texas is in a good spot in this one and a summer commitment feels like a very real possibility, although Cunningham said he’s simply taking things day by day.

“I don’t know. It all depends on where my heart is at,” he said on the possibility of Texas shutting down his recruitment during his official visit.

Be it one of the four schools he’s scheduled to take official visits to, or a wildcard that enters the race late, Cunningham said his final choice will simply come down to a gut feel and his overall comfort level.

“Really it’ll be what place makes me feel like home,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News