ADVERTISEMENT

Fix Da Boys and Dak

echeese

IDMAS. . it don't make a shit
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Frisco
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

So let's start with some givens:

• Dak is Dallas' QB for at LEAST 2 more seasons, and I would not be shocked if he is extended for 2-4 beyond that. There is no rational way to trade him or cut him and there is nobody to replace him.
  • Dak is a 12-18 level QB in the NFL. He's not close to elite, or even really good but he is slightly above average
  • Magic Mike not getting fired this off season and no Sean Payton to the rescue.
  • Most likely, Dan Quinn is gone, he's clearly the best coach on the staff and in line for an HC gig.
  • FINALLY, consensus in Dallas is that Kellen Moore is a failure at OC, very good against weak teams, weak against good teams. #1 problem, his WR/TE route combinations. Too many hooks into zones, flat routes etc that all prevent YAC. And he does not run the very popular/effective mesh routes which pop pass catchers open (see Iggle, see SF, see Sean McVay see good offenses)
  • Moore also is clearly not able to coach Dak up. Dak seems to be regressing as a QB.

#1 thing Dallas needs to do (will they? I'm not betting on it and I doubt the NFL is collectively dumb enough to hire Moore away as an HC), is get a new OC who will incorporate 21st century route running/mesh routes etc into the offense. Dallas left a good deal of "meat on the bone" this year including a trip to the NFC title game. This isn't about "fixing" Dak, he is what he is. It's about getting as much out of him as you can.

#2 Zeke needs to go, I said it then, don't over pay for RBs and Zeke's contract is hurting the team. Per over the cap, cut him as a post 1 June player saves $11,000,000 in cap room.He is reduced to being a short yardage guy. If Bijan falls to Dallas, I'm all over him but I'm not calling the shots and sadly Dallas has a bunch of needs. Re-sign Pollard if you can get a 2 year team friendly deal, make him the feature back in 2023. Valid run game makes play action better, Dak is best out of play action.

#3 Need at least 2 new pieces on the offensive line. McGovern may walk in FA and Tron is done though he proved he's a good back up. (Cutting Tron post 1 June saves $13,000,000 in cap space) New OC should determine keeping the OL coach or not. No cap on coaches, Dallas/Jerry is rich, go buy the best.

#4 Find a #2 WR. Not sure if Gallup was fully recovered so maybe fully healthy he is that guy but WR needs to be an off season priority. Gallup a guaranteed $11,000,000 in 2023 so we hope he returns closer to 2021.

#5 Who replaces Quinn? Same scheme/different scheme? And if he's an HC, he's likely taking coaches with him. Have a plan lined up for that and hopefully the scheme does not need to change radically.

#6, Get Dak a QB coach who can help him with his game. There was a guy before Moore took over (former NFL QB whose name escapes me) who did great work with Dak. Sorry, Moore failed badly there too.

#7 Need a CB opposite Diggs. Can't believe they took Joseph over Assanti but Quinn likes size. Good news, they have drafted well in the secondary but CB 2 is likely not on the roster, CB 3 is likely Bland.

#8 Go after one premium FA. Going cheap isn't adding enough talent to get over the hump.

Cap moves (all post 1 June):

Simi Fehoko WR $1,000,000 cap savings
Kelvin Joseph CB $1,400,000

Dallas will do well with comp picks again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News