ADVERTISEMENT

Future game in Dubai?

Dubai! Rather small West Texas oilfield town of my youth had two major grand options--after senior year drop out of high school start roughneckn on drilling rigs or join the Marines. Several of these guys that stuck with the oilfield ended up Superintendents of majors taking overseas positions..30days on 30days off. Talkn' blue collar working class folk.

When working in the middle east, Dubai is where major oil companies set up family that did not have kido's in school..they could stay or fly back to Texas whenever--oil companies wanted'em big time. Loathe any&everything in the middle east but Dubai is the place, cosmopolitian or the wives would not have gone if not for shopping, safety & clean enviroment.

Regardless..playing football in Dubai-haha. Maybe cricket.

Dubai! Rather small West Texas oilfield town of my youth had two major grand options--after senior year drop out of high school start roughneckn on drilling rigs or join the Marines. Several of these guys that stuck with the oilfield ended up Superintendents of majors taking overseas positions..30days on 30days off. Talkn' blue collar working class folk.

When working in the middle east, Dubai is where major oil companies set up family that did not have kido's in school..they could stay or fly back to Texas whenever--oil companies wanted'em big time. Loathe any&everything in the middle east but Dubai is the place, cosmopolitian or the wives would not have gone if not for shopping, safety & clean enviroment.

Regardless..playing football in Dubai-haha. Maybe cricket.

Where in west texas you from?

^^"Where in west texas you from"

From a couple of towns that were in my district at one time.
-Seminole
-Levelland
-Monahans
-Denver City

Starting out in 6months could make close to $200K after base salary, overseas bonus, travel..etc. Additionally, contributions to various retirement accounts were significant (my wife's dad). And, this was when the average salary was approx $21,750. Then there was the North Sea deal.
--Petro Engineers, Geologist et.al. were in the approx range of $85,000. after 3-5yrs.

Helluva deal for some guys that dropped out in 11th grade..not due to lack of intelligence but school was not their cup of tea.

^^"Where in west texas you from"

From a couple of towns that were in my district at one time.
-Seminole
-Levelland
-Monahans
-Denver City

Starting out in 6months could make close to $200K after base salary, overseas bonus, travel..etc. Additionally, contributions to various retirement accounts were significant (my wife's dad). And, this was when the average salary was approx $21,750. Then there was the North Sea deal.
--Petro Engineers, Geologist et.al. were in the approx range of $85,000. after 3-5yrs.

Helluva deal for some guys that dropped out in 11th grade..not due to lack of intelligence but school was not their cup of tea.

Same area as me. I am from Pecos

Not worried about security issues in Dubai. I just think it's an idiotic waste of time.

There's nothing wrong at all with having Mack represent the athletics program. As long as he's not involved with the team or in any way stepping on Charlie's turf, which he won't be, then there are useful roles for him to play.

I don't know it doesn't seem to me that American College football is one of those things that would be too popular in the Mid East.

"Not worried about security issues in Dubai. I just think it's an idiotic waste of time".

Traveling anywhere beyond Denmark is ludicrous..hell, go to Dublin. Entire oversea's deal, in his mind a huge publicity coo. All about big time national news along with national coverage on a game that would probably not otherwise be cast. This grandstanding of our program is over the top.

Evidently Patterson needs to quit listening to Jerry Jones on expanding the 'brand name' issue.

EDIT: hell, hit Comstock Texas-serves the same national shock value.

Last edited:
The bigger question to me is if by chance Brown were to get kidnapped while promoting your university would UT pony up or would they let Brown use his negotiating skills to free himself? That's the question

"Same area as me. I am from Pecos"

Man, y'all dealt us ten kinds of hell back in the day..only the district champ would advance to the playoffs. Last game of the season (undefeated)-playing you guys & guess what. :)

OK-back on topic.

The bigger question to me is if by chance Brown were to get kidnapped while promoting your university would UT pony up or would they let Brown use his negotiating skills to free himself? That's the question

I'd give 1999 Mack Brown better than even odds at talking his way out of the mess.

I was talking to an old friend that actually plays "professional" football over there. The reason for the interest is the people with money in Dubai see a tremendous amount of money in youth football from everything from shoes to pads to stadiums. They know their professional teams and college teams are no good, but they are getting an interest going for the youth to profit on.

First of all, bad idea Patterson. Pure and simply, it's not safe. Period.

Ever been there? Sure, Dubai is an ultra modern city, but have you checked out the neighborhood they live in? And jamming 80k people in a stadium, many of them "greedy devil antichrist oil executives" would present a tempting target for any up and coming jihad wanna be.

Expand the brand, I'm all for it. But let's start a little closer to home first.

How about Texas vs USC in Estadio aztec, in Mexico city. Short flight, texas vs california, 125,000 people, fans that are familiar with the two states as well as the rules of football.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT