ADVERTISEMENT

Guy gets accused of racism by his doorbell...Amazon shuts down his smart home

I read this earlier today.

I'm going to hold off for a few days before I render my judgement.

Do I know for a fact that our phones and devices listen to us?
Yes. I know they do.

Do I know they use voice recognition and AI to monitor your habits and conversations? Yes. I know they do.

But did this exact thing go down the way the article says it went down-- I'm not sure yet.
Is it possible it did? Absolutely.

Am I totally tempted to try it myself and see if it happens? Absolutely.

Too many people are becoming slaves to electronic devices and gadgets. Did you know when Alexa rolled out a few years ago it was not advertised that Amazon could listen in on their end?? Nothing was disclosed until someone discovered it and Amazon, begrudgingly, admitted it and turned off that capability.

You can't open their device. That's when I knew what it was. The mother in law bought on for us and now its taking orders from fish.

the article has been pulled. I guess AI decided it was not fit to read....

You can't open their device. That's when I knew what it was. The mother in law bought on for us and now its taking orders from fish.
Did the same with mine. Literally tossed mine into the Guadalupe river.
Then I move to SA and buy the house of a retired AT&T executive who had them "smart rig" the ENTIRE HOUSE-- the fvcking LED lights in the backyard can change to any color I want with a voice command-- and I'm totally freaked out by it. Want to turn on the stove- the BBQ pit- the fireplace- change the AC- turn off the motion sensors- turn on or off the ceiling fans- unlock or lock all the doors- turn on the hot tub- pretty much anything and everything is controlled via voice by the phone or one of the freaking smart tablets mounted on the wall around the house.
I HATE IT.
But I can't rip it all out. It's in the walls. I can't turn it ALL off because the security system is attached to it. My garage door is attached to it. My lawn sprinklers are attached to it. It's like an electronic baby sitter.

Too many people are becoming slaves to electronic devices and gadgets. Did you know when Alexa rolled out a few years ago it was not advertised that Amazon could listen in on their end?? Nothing was disclosed until someone discovered it and Amazon, begrudgingly, admitted it and turned off that capability.
And you know they turned off that capability, how?

Oh yeah, they said so.

Reckon the NSA kept a passthrough open? Nah, they'd never do that...

Reactions: westx and Drtxhorn
I read this earlier today.

I'm going to hold off for a few days before I render my judgement.

Do I know for a fact that our phones and devices listen to us?
Yes. I know they do.

Do I know they use voice recognition and AI to monitor your habits and conversations? Yes. I know they do.

But did this exact thing go down the way the article says it went down-- I'm not sure yet.
Is it possible it did? Absolutely.

Am I totally tempted to try it myself and see if it happens? Absolutely.
Looking forward to your case study report. Should be epic.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I don’t think this happened. The lust for attention in this country has reached whorish levels. People will do or say about anything to get clicks and likes.

Reactions: DHHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT