ADVERTISEMENT

History of Texas Longhorns Quarterbacks

The problem with Mack was he wouldn't offer kids who he didn't think he had a shot at. Strong has a completely different philosophy. He doesn't seem to care about head to head numbers or offering kids who are strong verbals at other schools. The chances of flipping Murray were slim to none but he got the kid on campus for a visit. Mack would have never done anything like that.

The hell with the offers!...The reason Mack went downhill he said himself...."people I trusted told me....." Mack got lazy and too damned busy to watch over his program.I will forever appreciate what he did bringing Texas back as a program, but he got too successful to run it.

Why are people still so obsessed with what Mack did or didn't do. Give it a. Rest. I could argue for against so much of this BS. Shoot Gilbert got a damn Super Bowl ring as a rookie without stepping on the field, Manzel is in the doghouse with Cleveland, Griffin is in major jeopardy of losing his staring job, Stafford hasn't won a playoff game, most of the rest are backups. Maybe we missed, maybe not. Other than Luck, Foles, and Stafford, we have no clue what would have happened. Shoot we don't even know what will happen with Winston. After drooling over him most of 2013 when he won the Heisman, almost every single one of you soured on him once character issues came out. I'm worried same will happen Locksley. Ther are way too many armchair coaches on this site posting. Griffin and Manzel have been a bust so far. Who says Winston won't be as well.

Busts? Lol. I think we are more concerned with what they could've done for Texas in college. Facts are facts, and no amount of Mack Brown lying about can change that. Fact is both Johnny Douchebag and and RG3 wanted to play at Texas. Fact is Mack didn't think they were good enough to play QB at Texas. Fact is both won Heismans playing QB, making Mack look really stupid. On to Winston. Yeah, if you really believe he had some "source" telling him he had no shot with Winston, then I got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Bullsh*t. That's just his excuse because he knows yet again he ignored yet another Heisman winner. That's 3 Heisman winners in THREE CONSECUTIVE YEARS Mack completely flaked out on. Do you realize how ridiculously incompetent that is?

Even if somebody did tell him he had no shot. He had the kid's HS coach repeatedly telling him Winston was interested. You're the coach at The University of Texas, so you wimp out and ignore what his own coach is trying to tell you, just because you're scared you might not get him??? Wtf??? Thank god Strong isn't a spineless coward.

That article over a year old. This week Wall Street Journal covered the same topic but a little more updated. Like how did UT recruiters miss on JT Barrett of Ohio State (Wichita Falls) and Boykin from Dallas. Amazing how many outstanding college QBs came from Texas. And Horns only wound up with Young and Colt. Not that they did not do great things. But 5 seasons after Colt and still not much production at the position. OU has its own problems. But only two years since Jones left and 2013 was not a disaster. Maybe Mayfield (Austin HS QB) will help.

Frankly, Mack switched to looking only at pro-style QBs and avoided Dual threat QBs. It explains a lot ---but not Luck.
They had committed to 4 Star Connor Brewer and did not care about Dual Threat Winston.

The biggest mistake is that we have not had a redshirt Fresh QB stay until Heard. Since Colt, we have been forced to burn redshirts on every one of our QB's. I'd love to have a red shirt sophmore QB at some point.

the strange loss of Sherrod Harris in the summer prior to Garrett Gilbert's sophmore year hurt the program.
If Heard Starts a game next year he will be the first REDSHIRT to start a game since Colt in 2006. Amazing

Gilbert- No redshirt plays sparingly behind Colt and in the MNC game. 2009
Summer 2010 Sherord Harris leaves team after waiting to play for four years
Case McCoy- is GG's back up as a true Freshman. Plays limited role.2010
Red shirt Connor Wood transfers out because he is low on the depth chart. 2011
GG crashes and burns against BYU- 2011
True soph Case McCoy and true freshman David Ash finish the year.2011
Soph Ash shows signs of promise. 2012 4* QB Connor Brewer Redshirts 2012
Brewer transfers out after being depth-charted behind EE Swoopes.2012
Ash gets hurt and McCoy forced into starter role Swoopes Shirt is burned as backup with minimal PT 2013
McCoy throws pick sixes in crucial games. OK St, Baylor & Oregon. Pulls out big win against OUSux
Swoopes shows flashes but folds against Quality D's. Team forced to start many drives behind the 20 and unable to move 10 yards. Heard able to Redshirt.

Stunning.... 9 years. And people wonder why they did not play Heard this year. Bravo Charlie

This post was edited on 2/7 11:32 PM by Tired Horn

A plethora of 2nd string and 3rd string QB transfers hurt. As did the previous' staff going all-in on certain Qbs that simply put werent good enough to make that kind of gamble

Hard to argue with alot of that. My only question continues to be if Johnny was such a no-miss recruit as a QB why didn't Sumlin offer him at UH? There you have to send out 200 offers to get 25 - clearly Johnny should have been one of them. And P.S., Johnny would have failed miserably at UT b/c there is no OLine to block for him. Perhaps Ash would have been talked about as a draft pick had he gotten blocking instead of getting his head caved in week after week.

Great article but they could of even gone back one more year to 2004 where we missed out on the top qb in the nation and top rb also. Yes he went okie but we had a clear chance. He did run into trouble and went to sam Houston and played but he did also get drafted by the Giants as the last player in the draft. But Mack was being mack and decided not to ever come to his high school and try to recruit hard. Okie came in with the whole staff took over practice for a day and that's what sold him and also laying out the red carpet for when he went on his visit to okie. I won't get into that for the respect of that guy cause I personally know him and also went to high school with him and played baseball with him. The okie team that Bradford lead to the the natty was built for my friend with high hopes for the next 4 years. And I also met peterson when I went to the all American game and the kid was just big. We had chances for both of them. If mack would of came to the dfw area and visited we would of had him cause he wanted to go to Texas but mack was acting mack.

Hook Em
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT