ADVERTISEMENT

How do you rate the Horns Position Groups?

mm42

Feb 10, 2015
Wondering what you guys see as your areas of strength or weakness. Not that you guys care, but this is how I see my team.

QB - Like Allen a lot, but depth is scary. If Murray goes MLB, we are a play away from disaster.
RB - 3 solid #2 guys. Nothing special.
WR - Reynolds, Noil, Kirk, RSJ, & Iheanacho are great on paper. I think they will be really good. Depends a lot on QB.
OL - Mathews, Ifedi, Cheeks are all solid. We need last years highly rated JUCO redshirts to be as advertised. Really like Koda Martin (not sure why). My guess is solid, but not special.

CB - Scary. Harris can cover, but can not tackle. But he'll start for sure. Davis is not fast enough, Harvey & Noel are a little small for my taste. Worried.
S - I like more than I should. Watts is a favorite. Wilson was better than I expected. Coaches love Evans, but I won't believe it until I see it. Like the 2 freshman, but relying on Freshman is fool's gold.
LB - Alaka, Walker, Hilliard, Washington are ok I think/hope (really like Alaka). Not a bunch of stars, but maybe ok. After those 4, see CB.
DE - Myles Garrett is pretty special. I think Hall, Cunningham and Johnson can play. Obioha is JAG to me.
DT - I don't love Mack as much as others, but he looked great at UA game. Williams and Walker are ok. I like Henderson the best. Washington is said to have a great first step, but redshirting last year makes me wonder. Arnold and Manning: anything will be a plus.

Jefferson & Holton Hill would have helped a lot. A lot. Could have used the corner from Gilmer, but I worry he is a knucklehead.

What about the Horns?

I don't want your opinion of the A&M position groups. Get that you don't care. I really was wondering about the UT defensive groups. I have a good idea about the offense, but no clue on your defense. Hard to tell from spring game. Don't blame anyone for ignoring. I was just bored.

I don't want your opinion of the A&M position groups. Get that you don't care. I really was wondering about the UT defensive groups. I have a good idea about the offense, but no clue on your defense. Hard to tell from spring game. Don't blame anyone for ignoring. I was just bored.
I'd love to hear your informed opinion of our offense and who you think will be key contributors... Make sure you include both Foreman brothers (they will be big contributors). It might enlighten us to how well you understand the game.

Last edited:
Wondering what you guys see as your areas of strength or weakness. Not that you guys care, but this is how I see my team.

QB - Like Allen a lot, but depth is scary. If Murray goes MLB, we are a play away from disaster.
RB - 3 solid #2 guys. Nothing special.
WR - Reynolds, Noil, Kirk, RSJ, & Iheanacho are great on paper. I think they will be really good. Depends a lot on QB.
OL - Mathews, Ifedi, Cheeks are all solid. We need last years highly rated JUCO redshirts to be as advertised. Really like Koda Martin (not sure why). My guess is solid, but not special.

CB - Scary. Harris can cover, but can not tackle. But he'll start for sure. Davis is not fast enough, Harvey & Noel are a little small for my taste. Worried.
S - I like more than I should. Watts is a favorite. Wilson was better than I expected. Coaches love Evans, but I won't believe it until I see it. Like the 2 freshman, but relying on Freshman is fool's gold.
LB - Alaka, Walker, Hilliard, Washington are ok I think/hope (really like Alaka). Not a bunch of stars, but maybe ok. After those 4, see CB.
DE - Myles Garrett is pretty special. I think Hall, Cunningham and Johnson can play. Obioha is JAG to me.
DT - I don't love Mack as much as others, but he looked great at UA game. Williams and Walker are ok. I like Henderson the best. Washington is said to have a great first step, but redshirting last year makes me wonder. Arnold and Manning: anything will be a plus.

Jefferson & Holton Hill would have helped a lot. A lot. Could have used the corner from Gilmer, but I worry he is a knucklehead.

What about the Horns?

It's way to early for you to do a SWOT analysis on A&M. Half the guys you mentioned will probably get arrested by August 1st.

Reactions: utisdabomb12
I'll play along mm42,

QB - I'm not very excited here. There is some skill and talent, but that doesn't equal wins. The belief in a crucial moment that you're going to get the job done is lacking in Swoopes' game...we don't know if it is in Heard's game. I'll be nervous until proven otherwise

RB - I think Jonathan Gray is going to have a well above average year...1000-1300 total yards from scrimmage. Catalon, Warren, and Foreman are going to add some quality depth. This will be a much improved group.

WR - There are a bunch of "guys" at this spot. Daje, Armanti, Joe, Leonard, Warrick are all nice players but there isn't a game breaker. One of these dudes needs to step up and take a 5 yard slant or hitch to the house...Texas needs that threat. McNeal, Burt, Newsome are more of the same IMO.

H/TE - I think this could be a decent group with Beck, de la Torre, Whitely and Clarington. It can't get worse than last year.

OL - There will be so much more depth this year. It was a struggle to find 6 guys, this year there should be 10 that can play at a decent level. They will be a year stronger and smarter. The depth will help with any ailments

DT - This group will take some time to rebuild. Tank coming back will help and Ridgeway is going to be a beast. Ford, Nelson, Norman and Boyette add some depth but they aren't game changers...yet.

DE - Cottrell was a real suprise in the Spring game. This unit is going to be down from a year ago, but Davis and Vasser should be more than serviceable. Hughes as a stand up DE is going to be a monster.

LB - This group will be nasty and athletic. Tim Cole finally seems to be playing with speed and attitude. Jinkens will get significant playing time and do some good things. The real excitement is in the freshmen...Jefferson, Wheeler, and Cherry will all play and make a difference. Freeman will add some positive things.

CB - Not real excited about this unit. Echols had a nice spring game, but he'll be facing better WR's and QB's than what he saw. Thomas is the best returner??? That is a problem. Boyd, Davis and Hill will have to come in and make an immediate impact. Pass rush is the best thing for this group.

S - Hall will be an animal. Bonney seems to have figured it out and will be a play maker. Haines will give solid effort but he is a step slow. Other than that, Colbert is a non factor and Elliot won't be ready IMO. Gonna have to stay healthy here.

K - Rose is going to have a great year! He can boom it and seems to be growing in confidence.

Didn't mean to claim I knew everything about the Texas offense. To me, it will depend on OL and QB. RB & WR seem solid. I think you guys should roll with Heard, even if he plays poorly. I'd also play young tackles (like Williams & Hodges) and live with the growing pains. Whereas, I don't even have an opinion on the defense.

Didn't mean to claim I knew everything about the Texas offense. To me, it will depend on OL and QB. RB & WR seem solid. I think you guys should roll with Heard, even if he plays poorly. I'd also play young tackles (like Williams & Hodges) and live with the growing pains. Whereas, I don't even have an opinion on the defense.

DL is the strength of the team, Backers are gifted in the youth department and will wreck shop with Freeman and Jefferson, but that youth will get burned from time to time, the secondary will be serviceable and will have freshman on the 2 deep so it will be very young. Davis and Hill will push the starters. I doubt Boyd pushes what we are seeing out of Bonney and Hall is a big hitter as long as he doesn't get lost. The unit will be top 30 material in total D.... It is what our coaches do best.

I'll play along mm42,

QB - I'm not very excited here. There is some skill and talent, but that doesn't equal wins. The belief in a crucial moment that you're going to get the job done is lacking in Swoopes' game...we don't know if it is in Heard's game. I'll be nervous until proven otherwise

RB - I think Jonathan Gray is going to have a well above average year...1000-1300 total yards from scrimmage. Catalon, Warren, and Foreman are going to add some quality depth. This will be a much improved group.

WR - There are a bunch of "guys" at this spot. Daje, Armanti, Joe, Leonard, Warrick are all nice players but there isn't a game breaker. One of these dudes needs to step up and take a 5 yard slant or hitch to the house...Texas needs that threat. McNeal, Burt, Newsome are more of the same IMO.

H/TE - I think this could be a decent group with Beck, de la Torre, Whitely and Clarington. It can't get worse than last year.

OL - There will be so much more depth this year. It was a struggle to find 6 guys, this year there should be 10 that can play at a decent level. They will be a year stronger and smarter. The depth will help with any ailments

DT - This group will take some time to rebuild. Tank coming back will help and Ridgeway is going to be a beast. Ford, Nelson, Norman and Boyette add some depth but they aren't game changers...yet.

DE - Cottrell was a real suprise in the Spring game. This unit is going to be down from a year ago, but Davis and Vasser should be more than serviceable. Hughes as a stand up DE is going to be a monster.

LB - This group will be nasty and athletic. Tim Cole finally seems to be playing with speed and attitude. Jinkens will get significant playing time and do some good things. The real excitement is in the freshmen...Jefferson, Wheeler, and Cherry will all play and make a difference. Freeman will add some positive things.

CB - Not real excited about this unit. Echols had a nice spring game, but he'll be facing better WR's and QB's than what he saw. Thomas is the best returner??? That is a problem. Boyd, Davis and Hill will have to come in and make an immediate impact. Pass rush is the best thing for this group.

S - Hall will be an animal. Bonney seems to have figured it out and will be a play maker. Haines will give solid effort but he is a step slow. Other than that, Colbert is a non factor and Elliot won't be ready IMO. Gonna have to stay healthy here.

K - Rose is going to have a great year! He can boom it and seems to be growing in confidence.

I think you have a nice pair of safeties in Hall and Bonney.

One of the key parts of Texas game that I expect to see a huge improvement from and the group that cost Texas several games is ST. The Ex-Gilmer coach is going to have lots of toys to play with and one of those is his ex-player Kris Boyd!

It's not just Defense/Offense! The kicking game/ST were worse than anything else on this team in 2014. Complete Fubar and they need to shave Nick's head!

Last edited:
I like the future of your back 7. Just was wondering if 2015 was too soon. Was unaware of kicking game issues last year. Thanks guys

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT