ADVERTISEMENT

"I knew it was my time after the playoffs." - Byron Murphy

CodyCarpentier

every like is another Jonathon Brooks rushing yard
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2023
Roanoke, VA
www.thedraftrankings.com
Texas players LB Jaylan Ford and DLs T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy were scheduled on Wednesday to meet with the national media at the NFL combine. Both Ford and Murphy held their interviews at scheduled times, but Sweat was absent for the first couple of hours. As of posting this, Sweat is walking onto the podium for his media availabilities. In the meantime, here is what Byron Murphy had to say as he begins his journey to the NFL draft (Alex Dunlap has the Jaylan Ford update HERE). All three are scheduled to take part in their on-field physical testing on Thursday afternoon.

Byron Murphy, DL

How does it feel to be the last team to beat Nick Saban at Alabama?

I think it was three years since LSU beat them, it means a lot, you know, getting the win down there cause not too many people win at Bama, you know, it's hard to win. So beating Alabama and Nick Saban, you know, I say that was a big win, a big win for us. And that's something I'll never forget.

Have you met with the Dallas Cowboys yet?

Uh, no, not yet.

What are some of the things you bring to an NFL franchise and have the Bills been in contact with you?

What I bring to an NFL franchise, I'll say, I bring hard work, I bring leadership, grit, you know, determination, and just being a great team player. Yes, I talked to, I had a meeting with the Bills as well.

While we're talking about teams, have you met with the Broncos?

No, sir, I haven't.

Do you plan to or not?

No, sir.

Byron, you had a higher pressure rate than any other defensive line prospect in this class. Your pressure numbers would be impressive for an edge rusher. How is it that you bring so much pressure up the middle?

First I'll say just, you know, having the mindset of just being, you know, I can't be stopped, won't be stopped, and you know, doing my best and just to try to be disruptive at all times, just trying to get after the quarterback, rushing at all times, each and every play, just going hard, giving it all 110 percent with great effort.

What feels better, beating a double team in the backfield for a TFL or catching a touchdown?

I'll say beating a double team, but I also love the touchdown play. But beating the double team and getting the TFL.

To follow up, for those of us who will never do that, right? Beating a 300-pound guy to get into the backfield and get a big run stop. What does that feel like in that moment?

I feel like that's one of the best feelings in the world. Cause obviously, you know, you're doing your job, but to split a double team and get a TFL, you know, that's, that's pretty hard to do. That's hard work right there. And a lot of guys can't do that.

Have the Packers interviewed with you so far?

Man, a lot of teams, Seattle, Atlanta, Minnesota, The Bills, Jets pretty much every team.

What's the feedback been like from some of them?

The feedback is, they say, you know I'm a great player, I play good. I stay square and have great leverage. I play with my hands, I'm violent and you know and I'm also great at stopping the run.

Do they want you to 3-technique or do they want you to shade like you were in Texas?

I've been hearing a lot of zero shade, 2-I, 3-Tech, and probably the 4-I as well.

All right, you said you haven't met with the Dallas Cowboys yet, but what would it mean to be a part of that organization?

You know, it'll mean a lot, because, you know, I'm from Dallas, so you know, it'll be a blessing, you know, to play back home, play. Play for my home city. So it'll mean a lot for sure.

Just talk about your journey. You weren't a five-star recruit. What you came from where you were to being maybe the first defensive tackle drafted.

Man, I say just really, you know, just putting in the work, you know, just working hard each and every day, you know, and also I feel like, my tape, my tape speaks for itself. I put a lot on tape this year, and I feel like I showed a lot of NFL teams what I can do, and what they can get from me.

Do you know Von Miller?

Yeah, I do. I know Von Miller.

Have you talked to him this week?

No, sir, I haven't.

What was it like watching him grow up and how much did you kind of model yourself after some of the things he did?

First off, just watching Von, same hometown, watching him go from DeSoto, you know, to A&M, to the NFL, you know, he just motivated me as well, you know, and also I feel like, you know, he set the foundation at DeSoto. He is one of the guys that created the pipeline. You know, it really all started with him and, I'm just blessed, you know, to have a guy like that, alumni like that as well.

Aaron Donald is the player who broke the mold of players who look similar to you and to him. Um, do you look up to him and is that a guy that you, or a pattern that came up?

Yes, sir. I look up to him, I watch AD a lot. Also guys like, Ed Oliver, Kenny Clark, and guy s like Da'Ron Payne for the Commanders. I try to model my game after them guys, you know, I just like the way they play, how disruptive it is, and also, their violence.

Have the Packers interviewed you?

The Packers. Yes, they have.

How did that go?

You know, it went well. It went great.

You said Kenny Clark is the guy that you kind of modeled yourself after? What do you like about him?

What I like about him, is how he's a force in the run game. How violent he plays. You know, he's a disrupter, he just had that mindset of just being dominant and being the most dominant out there. That's what I like about him.

Have you had the opportunity to meet with the Raiders?

No, sir.

What would it be like if you did and got to play with Maxx Crosby?

It would be you know, a blessing to me with the Raiders and to play with a guy like Maxx Crosby. That would be crazy. Cause, you know, I never played with a guy like that. I feel like he would make my job much easier as well.

Byron, was there any thought at all to me returning to Texas for another year and playing a year in the SEC?

No, no sir. After this year, it was kind of a no-brainer for me to enter the draft. I feel like it was time and I feel like my tape spoke for itself.

At what point did you make that decision? Like at what point during the season were you really thinking that, okay, this is going to be it for me in Texas?

I want to say like after the Big 12(title game), and also when we got to the playoffs, I knew, I knew it was my time after the playoffs.

What would it mean to go to the Houston Texans, to play for a coach like Demeco Ryans and that swarm of talent to defense?

Man, it would mean a lot, getting drafted by Houston, You know, also just staying in Texas, I'm familiar with that cause I'm from Texas, But, It'll mean a lot playing for Demeco Ryan, you know, a young African American coach.

How did the offensive role come into play? Were you campaigning the coaches or did they come to you as far as your offensive role? Like running the ball and catching it. Did they come to you or were you campaigning them?

Well, Coach Flood and Sark, they came to me with the opportunity and I just took it you know, right away.

And which is more satisfying? Pounding it in as a runner or catching the ball?

I want to say pounding it in because you know, I grew up playing running back. So just being able to get the ball again, just brought back so many memories.

What's the best fit for you schematically? When the next level, what scheme do you feel like you would thrive in the most?

I like a 4-3 scheme. I feel like I'm a 4-3 guy, but I also play, you know, whatever scheme any team wants me to play in.

Are there players at the next level that you want to be teammates with to find success with at the NFL level?

Man, I'd love to, you know, be with really anybody, like Bosa, really any of the good edges in the league, you know, I feel like that'll just make my job easier, having the quarterback step up right into my hands. Cause you know I'm a rusher as well. So, whatever team drafted me, it'd be a blessing just to play with any good edge guys.

Who are the young guys on the Texas team, that the Texas fans, need to keep an eye on next year?

I say on defense, I'm pretty sure y'all heard of him, he's a freshman, I say, Anthony Hill Jr., when it's time for him, you know, for him to come, you know, and do this process, I feel like he's gonna be a first-round guy, so be on the lookout for him.

Have you seen Mike Tomlin yet at all?

Uh, yes I have, yesterday.

What was your first impression?

I loved it, I really enjoyed the interview with Mike Tomlin. I feel like I can relate to him in so many ways. him and his staff and Pittsburgh as a whole.

What makes you the best defensive lineman?

Just my style of play. How I play, every play. Play in, play out. I say my effort. My effort is like no other. I don't think nobody has the same effort as me, the same determination, or the same mindset as me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News