ADVERTISEMENT

If you could spend your summers anywhere, where would you spend them?

Iceman

lake@simplyradiant.com
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
After a decade of wishing away 1/3 of every year due to the oppressive Central Texas heat, my wife & I have finally made the decision to take advantage of the fact I can work from anywhere, and actively look for a place to spend each summer from June through August. I know of no other group with as much collective knowledge & experience. So, where would you go & why?

If anyone wants to make recommendations for us, we're looking for someplace in the US that has daily highs (in the summer) from 65 - 85, with low or manageable humidity...........is on or near water (ocean, lake, river)..........has a lot of nature around, is not oppressively crowded in the summer, and has a nearby downtown (city or town) that's charming & inviting, with at least a handful of great restaurants. Nearby hiking would be a welcomed bonus. We're not looking for a place to buy immediately. Rather, we're looking to experience a new destination each summer until something really stands out as a place we want to continue returning to each summer. At that point, we'll consider buying.

I've spent about a month researching, and have found a few places that, at first glance, have peaked my interest:

CA: San Diego, Del Mar, Laguna Beach, Carlsbad, Avila Beach, Cambria, Santa Barbara
CO: I need recs!
CT: Madison
ID: Couer d'Alene
MA: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Rockport
ME: Portland, Bar Harbor, York Beach, Ogunquit
MI: Mackinac Island, Traverse City, Saugatuck, Petoskey, Charlevoix
NC: Brevard, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Boone, Black Mountain, Highlands
NY: Long Island, Alexandria Bay, Lake Placid, Clayton, Saratoga Springs, Lake George
RI: Newport, Block Island, Watch Hill
WI: Ephraim, Sister Bay

Any feedback on the above or recs would be appreciated. Also, I'm aware that there are no perfect places. So, feel free to make recs that may not fit my wish list to a T, but you personally think are worth the sacrifices/shortcomings. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News