ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions to Sark's KSU Presser (via MyPerfectFranchise.Net)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET

Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

*****​

Here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions to Steve Sarkisian's Kansas State-week press conference, coming off a nice win at home behind backup QB Maalik Murphy, and headed into a much bigger test at DKR versus the newly ranked No.25 K-State squad:

- Alex Loeb lets us know that Texas has a 67% chance to win against Kansas State, their chance will jump from a 61% to 85% chance to get to the Big 12 championship with a win against KSU, with a loss, they will fall to just a 13% chance per ESPN Analytics. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Well I guess it's a hell of a big game we've got on tap. Goddness gracious, I knew it was consequential but didn't think Texas' Big 12 hopes would be dashed to such a great degree with a loss. Then again, ESPN analytics can be extremely cockamamie.

- Sark said that Texas' versatility continues to shine through after the BYU game: 3 turnovers, opponent 2 of 13 on 3rd down, limiting explosive plays. You don't have to put the tape on to know the defense played well. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Well, some of us HAVE to watch the tape. ;) As I'm going through it last night and through today, I will confirm the defense played really well.

- Sark said offensively, 2 of 5 in the red zone isn't good enough and that neither is two turnovers. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The turnovers were sort of expected, but the lack of RZ efficiency after being such a focus over the bye week is concerning and needs to continue to be a focus.

- Ewers, Catalon and Burke are all still week to week. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Translation - none of them will play versus K State. TCU would be the best possible outcome for Ewers.

- Big Noon Kickoff at FOX will be in town. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Good deal, I like it better than ESPN Gameday. I'm sure that won't be a popular take, but it's better programming.

- Danny Davis asked about K State: They play well together, play as a team, aggressive, get you off of double teams at LOS, good tacklers in secondary, force a lot of 3rd and longs. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark has to come in with a game plan to stay ahead of the chains. Easy, quick throws to start out with Murphy. Get him comfortable and stay in manageable third downs situations.

- On Maalik Murphy's response to the game: He stayed consistent. Hasn't changed his habits since he's playing now, his work has stayed the same.

- Chip asked about level of comfort w/ Murphy: "I like to call the plays he likes." Every QB manages the game differently than the next one. How they manage it, the tempo, their comfort level is important to know. Where do his eyes go on specific plays ... going into next opponent, you know where he's comfortable, less comfortable and just not there yet. "I do think finding his rhythm is really important ... I love to throw deep out routes, but I'm not good at it." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: haha. People do sometimes become enamored with the things they aren't that good at while thinking the things they are technically best at are sort of boring. Weird quirk of human nature I suppose.

- On Texas' room to grow: Defensively 3rd in the country on 3rd down, top 10 in RZ defense. On defense, we've rectified some of the issues. On offense, we have to finish these drives. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark said he'd be lying if he said he wasn't frustrated by it. I think the fanbase feels the same. They need to figure it out.

- Leah Vann asks how to evaluate a first start at QB: " I think that I have a level of understanding for the newness -- you can only create so much in a scrimmage. For example, the fumble in the red area - in a practice setting Maalik is not live, (D can't hit him) .. that's a cool lesson to be learned." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Maalik probably doesn't think it's "cool" lol.

- Joe Cook asked about playoff rankings: "It just seems pretty early to me. I think we have a good football team, very verstatile, started a backup QB versus a 5-2 team and won 35-6. I'd argue we have the best win in the country right now. I hear so much about how tough the SEC is, but I haven't seen any of them going into Alabama and getting a win." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Whoa!

- Ced Golden asked about the offensive line in the RZ: "I'm pushing our guys hard ... I think there's a standard of offense our guys have established. When we don't meet those expectations my job as 1) make sure we're aware and 2) how do we fix that. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark said he had that talk with the whole offense this morning. RZ offense is clearly the theme for area of improvement right now. It needs to get fixed.

- Jim Vertuno asked key quality in kick returner: Have to be able to catch the ball. In high school, the punters are different; you don't always have to field the ball in the air when people are running at you. You have to have courage, natural instincts and feel. Xavier on Saturday, the left gunner was free. He caught the ball and literally at the same time, made him miss. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: That was a play that if you didn't stand on the couch and scream at the TV, you have better restraint than me. I was live on Sirius XM radio during the play, previewing one of the NFL games and just started yelling the play-by-play like Gus Johnson. "He's at the 20! the 10, the 5, TOUCHDOWN TEXAS! TOUCHDOWN XAVIER WORTHY!!!"

- Bob Ballou asked about touch on Maalik's ball: He's a very natural passer of the football. The deep ball to AD, that is natural to him. But the slant to AD was a fast ball. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I thought the placement on the deep ball was in the perfect spot even though Mitchell had to pull up a little bit -- any farther back in the end zone, he wouldn't have been able to get his feet in bounds, but if he took any more off, it would have been picked.

- Kirk Bohls asked if this is a toughness game: Kliemann has had really good football teams wherever he's been. You can see his imprint on that that team. This game is about toughness. Look at the last two years- tough, hard-nosed physical games. Two teams that run the ball and are tough. Now they've incorporated the QB run stuff (with both QBs they use) they have a multitude of scheme and run game to go along with the toughness. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Gonna be another game where the DL needs to hold up in their run lanes at times even on passing plays to not let either of those guys navigate forward in the pocket and squirt out for significant gains the way Dillon Gabriel did at times.

- Anwar asked about the RZ offense and if there is a common theme, and on 4th downs is it gut or analytics that makes the decision (good Qs): We just haven't executed great. When do you run it, when do you throw it -- a multitude of things come into play, but we just haven't done a good enough job. On analytics: it's more gut, I always find out what the analytics say but I go with the gut. President Hartzell didn't hire "the book" (the analytics) to be the head coach." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: LMAO. Excellent point, but so far Sark's gut has been a little questionable down there in the red and green areas. Maybe he should incorporate it some.

- Thomas Jones asked about playing a run-first team: In scout periods they have to prepare for opponent tendencies. We do good-on-good team run period for this exact reason. We don't throw a pass, we line up and run the ball. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I think with the way this defense is built, a mano-a-mano battle of physical nature and violence, a battle of wills to run the ball versus stopping the run; it should technically favor Texas as long as the DL starters are in the game. They have to get off the field quick though, because if we start seeing mostly Vernon Broughton, Trill Carter and God forbid Aaron Bryant, Jaray Bledsoe, etc. often as the frontline guys are getting breathers, things could take a turn for the bad. We want to see those guys in the game .... but only in the context of Texas being up big and giving them mop-up duty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News