ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions to Sark's Texas Tech Presser (via MyPerfectFranchise.Net)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET
Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions to Steve Sarkisian's Texas Tech-week press conference:

- Sark was right on time during the short week. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: We're all having to be a little more efficient this week.

- Sark talked about self-inflicted wounds which took two TDs off the board. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The Kitan Crawford block in the back on the Worthy punt return was just brutal.

- Sark complimented CJ Baxter and Jayden Blue and how liked how the team controlled the game down the stretch. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The way Texas was able to assert its will in the second half was one of the more heartening things I've seen out of them this season. It won't be remembered in the history books, but it felt like a little bit of something different, like a lightbulb coming on.

- Sark said it was the second night game of the year versus Tech? ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Wait .. There's Bama and Iowa State I can think of off the top of my head. Might have misheard him.

- Sark said Tech really had a tough start to the season, fighting the injury bug, but you can see them getting healthier and healthier -- running the ball extremely well. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The team needs to prepare for Tech like they are Alabama, but I don't see a complete team with those guys at all.

- Chip asked about injuries to DJ Campbell and Worthy and what about the transfer portal? - Injuries - he says he feels good on a Monday. Variety of guys that went down, and don't see any of them being out. Feels confident everyone available Saturday night will be available Friday. Portal: we haven't addressed it, we're in the midst of a championship run. Said he'll be understanding of guys wanting to leave when it comes time to have those conversations, it's part of the age we are living in now. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Good news on the injury front it would seem, but Sark says we'll know more for sure later in the week.

- Eric Henry asked about CJ Baxter in a more featured role: I thought CJ got stronger as the game went on, some really nice physical runs in the second half. Hard yards. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He showed what he needed to to let us see that, even if he's not Brooks, he can be depended on. Sark also mentioned Jaydon Blue, didn't have the wow plays we were hoping to see but ran between the tackles on 4th and 1 to seal a victory.

- Bob Ballou asked about honoring the seniors this weekend: Sark said the guys who were here when he arrived didn't sign up to play for him, naturally, you're trying to gain and build trust. The old adage is trust = time + consistency. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: There's Sark with the math again!

- Dennis De La Pena asked about the commissioner being open about rooting against Texas: "We've been on this kick here for months now, us leaving the Big 12 -- our players didn't choose to move (to the SEC) ... whether the commissioner is rooting against our players or not, they just want to win." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark doesn't want to start a firestorm for Yormark to call in his dogs to swindle Texas with the refs on Friday. He said he hopes that he can put a show on Friday and makes him proud because the Big12 is the conference we're in right now.

- Kirk Bohls asked if this is the best team he's been the head coach: I look at Bert Auburn, Sanborn, Xavier in the punt return game, the way we're playing defensive football ... offensively, I just love the balance we have. We haven't gotten all the points we want but we're averaging 450 yards a game, played with a backup QB for 2 games, lost the starting running back, etc. That's probably the best I've had. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Fair enough.

- Joe Cook asked about tie-breakers - We learned our lesson a year ago when our fate was in someone else's hands. This year, leave no doubt, this is on us, we control our own destiny. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Texas needs to beat the brakes off of Tech. Winning is clearly the only goal, but it would be nice to gain some style points just in case they are needed for the CFP committee.

- Danny Davis asked about Jaylan Ford: we didn't know a whole lot about him at first, but as we grew as a program, the play making ability continues to show up. Really good players are around the ball. Make tackles, force fumbles, recover fumbles, make interceptions and sacks and those plays happen at critical moments. WE learned that about Jaylan through Year 1, then of course in Year 2. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He's certainly the one guy on the team who basically plays every single play of the game. That says something.

- Ced Golden asked if this is the biggest game of his coaching career (biggest game for the program since 2009) Good question from Ced. - Sark said they haven't put more emphasis on this game because after the OU game the first thing I talk about each week is that each week is the Big 12 championship game. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: That's interesting, he's never said that before, he's usually always said his narrative to the team was just to take it game by game.

- Anwar asked what his goals are for the culture and how you can tell your reaching goals: Sark says it's organic and not a bumper sticker, basically. Talked about commitment, discipline, accountability, toughness, love, vulnerability, transparency. But you can't just say those things, you have to live those things. Have to celebrate the times you embody those things to drive it in. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I guess maybe the way I felt about the ISU second half might be a little instance of the team embodying this culture in a football game.

- Jeff Jones asked about Whittington, first meeting with him and how he's evolved: I think Jordan has really, really matured. When you're in college, where are you placing the value of your time. He was fighting through injuries, but for the last two years, he's the first guy in the building -- now he has 6 or 7 other guys showing up as early as him. But he was the first one to get there so early. When he broke his collarbone versus OU, he contemplated quitting football and I wouldn't let him. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Jeez, I'll bet he's glad Sark talked him out of that. I'll always be thankful for my friend who didn't let me quit football in my second practice of tackle football in 7th grade. I told him I was quitting and he said, "nope. I'm not gonna let you." Can't imagine how much different my life would be now if I had quit football. It's that times a million for J Whitt. He's gonna earn an NFL paycheck out of this deal.

- Roger Wallace asked about Tajh Brooks: "Great contact balance, the first guy has a hard time getting him down because of his abiilty to absorb blows, stay on his feet and get hard yards." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: It's true about Brooks, but he's not going to just bounce off Sweat and Murphy. He will be able to "absorb" hits from Trill Carter and maybe Broughton, but not those first two.

- Leah Vann asked if he had any idea when accepting the job that Texas would be going to the SEC (kinda weird, but good Q): He said No, but we always knew we had to recruit big humans, run the ball and stop the run. He said the formula has always been the same. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I can't wait until Texas gets out of the miserable and pathetic Big 12 and into the SEC, but I must admit, that I'm hopeful that Tech will not be the last Big 12 game that Texas plays in ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News