ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (April 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1066255.jpg

Let’s go ahead and dive right into some of the recruiting news from this week, starting with all the speculation that’s surrounded the talented Brenham duo of LB Malcom Brown.

In the last few days, there have been rumors of Texas and TCU leading for both. Rumors of Texas and Oklahoma leading for Brown. Rumors of A&M falling off the list (or being completely eliminated) for both players. Rumors of a weekend commitment to Texas for both players. Rumors of Texas A&M still leading for Brown and neck and neck for Tim Cole.

So, what to believe?

We all know that Cole and Brown visited Oklahoma late last week, returned to Brenham on Friday and then made the trip up to TCU on Saturday. The duo was tentatively scheduled to attend A&M’s practice on Sunday with a few Brenham teammates, but that trip did not happen.

We’ve checked with a number of sources this week and we were able to get some interesting updates, but let’s go ahead and issue a word of caution … nobody truly knows what to believe, even those that are in direct contact with Cole and Brown. But this information comes from reliable sources, the same people who told us back in mid-February that Texas made a relationship with his uncle and affinity for UT’s 4-3 alignment). We feel very confident that it’s accurate as of Thursday night. Now, ask us tomorrow and things could always change.

Yes, it is 100 percent true that Brown told multiple people inside the Brenham halls that Texas and Oklahoma were his leaders. In fact, Brown mentioned that A&M had fallen completely out of consideration. Eliminated, per people who spoke directly to the blue-chip DT.

It is true that at least one Brenham teammate was given indication that a commitment was possible by both players this weekend while in Austin.

On the surface, both pieces of information are obviously huge news if you’re a Longhorn fan. But with the way this one has gone, with unexpected twists and turns seemingly every week, I’d warn anyone from getting too excited just yet. Proceed with cautious optimism.

Cole told Huskers Illustrated this week that he’s planning to attend Texas A&M’s spring game. If that’s true, that visit in itself would rule out a commitment to Texas this weekend. But, both Cole and Brown have been extremely quiet and rather vague about their commitment and visit plans (look at last weekend’s surprise trips to OU and TCU and non-visit to Texas A&M for examples). And after talking to Cole on Thursday night, it doesn’t sound like any visits visit as set in stone.

Cole mentioned he’s pretty much taking things day by day. As he said, he’d prefer to not put his every though out there and he’s somewhat making decisions on the fly. Could a commitment happen this weekend?
“I really don’t know,” he said. “I’m just waiting to see. If I make a decision, I do. If I don't, I'll just have to wait it out.”

Cole did say on Thursday that he has no leaders (he listed Texas, Texas A&M, TCU and Oklahoma as the schools he’s considering), and he said the A&M spring game visit is scheduled but if he gets the urge before then to make a commitment, that trip would likely fall off the books. Again, everything is touch and go and he’s not locked into anything at this stage.

If we’re pooling the information we’ve accumulated this weekend, the most likely scenario is that Cole essentially holds the cards. If he commits to Texas, possibly as early as this weekend, expect Brown to follow. If Cole chooses somewhere other than UT, Brown has actually gone so far as to tell a couple people that he’ll wind up at Oklahoma. That’s right, if Cole were to choose Texas A&M, Brown is telling people this week that he’ll be a Sooner. That decision is easier said than done, and I’d have to see Brown go against the grain of his Brenham teammates who have chosen A&M before I’d believe it, but that’s the word being floated around this week.

There’s no way I’m coming within a 10-foot pole of making an actual prediction of how this one will play out with so many moving parts still involved, but Texas fans have to like the position their team is in compared to where things were a couple weeks ago.

This Sunday will be very interesting, and it could go a long way towards determining where both guys wind up. A commitment for Texas is possible, but if Cole/Brown leave Austin without giving a pledge, we could very well be back to square one. (Suchomel)

Let’s swing our attention to five-star running back Johnathan Gray

There was an article in MaxPreps on Wednesday that mentioned Gray does in fact plan to make a commitment on his birthday, April 22. We still believe that could happen, but Gray’s father, James Gray, said on Thursday night that date is not completely finalized. Mr. Gray said the date is tentative but it may have to previously-made plans. If an announcement is pushed back, expect it to happen in late April or early May.

Gray will visit Texas A&M on Saturday and his father said a trip through Austin for UT’s spring game on Sunday is still a possibility. Mr. Gray said the family is going to try to make the UT visit, but his son already has other plans for that day so they’re undecided. We should hear final word on that visit on Friday at some point.

Mr. Gray reported to us last week that he expects his son to have his decision all but made after Saturday’s visit to Texas A&M. Texas, TCU and A&M are the three finalists. No official leader has been named by the family, but we still feel it’s Texas out in front, followed by TCU, with A&M trying to make a late push. (Suchomel)

Pearland Dawson head coach Eric Wells said on Wednesday that there’s a good chance his star offensive tackle prospect, Kennedy Estelle, will be at UT’s spring game on Sunday. Don’t underestimate the importance of that position.

Estelle has been thought to be a UT lead ever since his Texas junior day visit, and another trip to the Forty Acres can only boost UT’s chances. In addition, there’s still a possibility that Estelle could return the following weekend for the Texas Relays and make a quick visit by the UT coaches’ offices while in town.

One rumor we’ve heard on Estelle of late … he wants to play with top players, and if Texas can secure a commitment from the likes of Johnathan Gray, it will greatly increase UT’s chances of securing Estelle’s pledge. (Suchomel)

In case you missed it, a link to our update this week Garrett Greenlea

Now up to about 310 pounds, Greenlea is ahead of schedule on working his injured right knee back to full strength and he’s hoping to arrive at UT with the chance to compete right away.

“I'm definitely going to get up there and do whatever I have to do to help the team. I still know how to play football. My mentality hasn't changed,” said Greenlea, who missed most of his senior year with the ACL tear. “I’m going to get up there and show what I can do.”

Greenlea attended UT’s scrimmage last weekend and said he was told by UT OL coach Stacy Searels that all the incoming freshmen will have a chance to play early along an offensive line that lacks depth.

“They're saying this is an opportunity for us coming in. Everyone has seen the o-line class coming in. It’s a pretty solid class at Texas with good, high caliber o-linemen,” Greenlea said. “It’s an opportunity for anybody to come in and play. (Searels) said he has no problems starting true freshmen or playing true freshmen. He said to get strong, get healthy and they’ll play the people they think can help us win.” (Suchomel)

Spring Game

Attending

Signees

Steve Edmond, LB, Daingerfield
Garrett Greenlea, OL, Klein Collins
Cedric Reed, DE, Cleveland
Jaxon Shipley, WR, Brownwood
Mykkele Thompson, DB, San Antonio Stevens
Josh Turner, DB, Oklahoma City (OK) Millwood

Commitments

Caleb Bluiett, DE, Beaumont West Brook
Paul Boyette, Jr., DT, Humble
Bryson Echols, CB, DeSoto
Camrhon Hughes, OL, Harker Heights
Peter Jinkens, LB, Dallas Skyline
Thomas Johnson, WR, Dallas Skyline
Cayleb Jones, WR, Austin Austin High
Hassan Ridgeway, DE, Mansfield

Uncommitted

Malcom Brown, DT, Brenham
Timothy Cole, LB, Brenham
Nicholas Coleman, CB, San Antonio East Central
Kennedy Estelle, OL, Pearland Dawson
John Michael McGee, OL, Texarkana Texas High

Cedric Collins, S, Dallas Skyline (2014)
Kyle Collins, WR, DeSoto
Naashon Hughes, LB, Harker Heights
Darius James, OL/DT, Harker Heights
Jeremy Nixon, DE, Dallas Skyline
Sergio Phillips, OL, DeSoto
Isaiah Williams, LB, Dallas Skyline
Dontre Wilson, RB, DeSoto
Taylor Young, LB, DeSoto

Not Attending
Commitments

Connor Brewer, QB, Scottsdale (AZ) Chaparral

Uncommitted

Johnathan Gray, RB, Aledo
Javonte Magee, DL, San Antonio Sam Houston
Kendall Sanders, CB, Athens - not planning to
Michael Starts, OL, Waco La Vega
Leo Thomas, S, San Antonio Sam Houston

Ricky Seals-Jones, ATH, Sealy

Not sure

Signees

Miles Onyegbule, WR, Arlington ? was in last week
Kendall Thompson, LB, Carthage - was in last week

Commitments

Alex De La Torre, LB, Denton Ryan - was in last week

Last week we took a look at the recruiting of Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU, so this week we take a look at Baylor, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma St., and the Texas Longhorns. We caught up with our friends around the Rivals network and weighed in ourselves this week. Here’s the look around the region.

Baylor Bears
Number of Commits: 3
Scholarships Left: 19-20
Latest Commitment: Terrell Burt, CB, Wylie, Texas (3/27/11)
Key Targets:
Bralon Addison, ATH, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Hightower (Oklahoma St. commit)
Cameron Bailey, OL, Athens, Texas
Corey Coleman, ATH, Richardson (Texas) Pearce
Will Hines, CB, Waco, Texas
Javonte Magee, DL, San Antonio (Texas) Sam Houston
Key Position Needs: QB, RB, stud WR, DE, CB
Early Headliners: Aiavion Edwards, S, Stephenville, Texas
Next offer: Orion Stewart, S, Waco (Texas) Midway
Next commitment: Cameron Bailey, OL, Athens, Texas

Houston Cougars
Number of Commits: 6
Scholarships Left: 14
Latest Commitment: Steven Aikens, LB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin (3/28/11)
Key Targets:
Tim Hines, OL, Bryan, Texas
Mac Long, OL, Edna, Texas
Key Position Needs: OL, DL
Early Headliners: Steven Aikens, S/LB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin; Terrence Taylor, RB, Diboll, Texas
Next offer: Jarell Crenshaw, S, Pearland (Texas) Dawson
Next commitment: Seaver Myers, OL, Friendswood, Texas

LSU Tigers
Number of Commits: 6
Scholarships Left: 17-19
Latest Commitment: John Thomas, TE, Bossier City (La.) Airline (3/30/11)
Key Targets:
Vadal Alexander, OL, Buford, Ga.
Landon Collins, S, Geismar (La.) Dutchtown
Quay Evans, DT, Morton, Miss.
Abraham Garcia, OL, Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) University School
D.J. Humphries, OL, Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek
Nick James, DT, Long Beach, Miss.
Key Position Needs: WR, C, LB
Early Headliners: Avery Johnson, WR, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Blanche Ely
Next offer: Davante Bourque, ATH, Crowley, La.
Next commitment: Denzel Devall, DE, Bastrop, La.; Davante Bourque, ATH, Crowley, La. (if offered)

Oklahoma State Cowboys
Number of Commits: 4
Scholarships Left: 10-11
Latest Commitment: Jeremiah Tshimanga, LB, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland (3/22/11)
Key Targets:
Trace Clark, DE, Wichita (Kan.) Collegiate
Barry Sanders, RB, Oklahoma City (Okla.) Heritage Hall
Key Position Needs: DT
Early Headliners: Kendall Sanders, CB, Athens, Texas
Next offer: N/A
Next commitment: Trace Clark, DE, Wichita (Kan.) Collegiate

Texas Longhorns
Number of Commits: 13
Scholarships Left: 7-8
Latest Commitment: Cayleb Jones, WR, Austin (Texas) Austin High (2/27/11)
Key Targets:
Malcom Brown, DT, Brenham, Texas
Timothy Cole, LB, Brenham, Texas
Kennedy Estelle, OL, Pearland (Texas) Dawson
Johnathan Gray, RB, Aledo, Texas
Javonte Magee, DL, San Antonio (Texas) Sam Houston
Michael Starts, OL, Waco (Texas) La Vega
Key Position Needs: OL, DL
Early Headliners: Connor Brewer, QB, Chandler (Ariz.) Chaparral; Cayleb Jones, WR, Austin (Texas) Austin High
Next offer: John Michael McGee, OL, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High
Next commitment: Timothy Cole, LB, Brenham, Texas

Lastly, let’s take a look at some notes/evaluations from UT’s Pro Day …

AARON WILLIAMS - Talked to scouts after pro day who feel like WIlliams really helped himself. Even if Texas' track is known for being fast, Williams ran - at best a 4.36 - and at worst - a low 4.4 in the 40. Where Williams really helped himself, however, is in the defensive back drills, where he got in and out of cuts, flipped his hips and caught the ball at its highest point. The Steelers' interest in Williams was real. Having Mike Tomlin seek out Williams and his father, Anthony, after the workout was a credit to both Williams and Tomlin, who told the WIlliams family how impressed he was with Aaron's interviews at the NFL combine. If Williams moved from the second round into the first round, he will have made himself a lot of money with his performance, according to the scouts I talked to. They all said Williams losing 3-4 pounds from his NFL combine weight of 204 made a difference. They thought he was too bulked up at the combine. They said he could stand to lose a couple more pounds to play at 197 or 196.

CURTIS BROWN - Curtis didn't really do anything at Texas' pro day, other than attempt to run some defensive back drills despite having the flu. The NFL people I talked to said Curtis is still a second-round pick because of his fluid performance in drills at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

CHYKIE BROWN - Chykie helped himself a lot by running at best - a 4.35 - and at worst - a low 4.4 in the 40. Chykie had the same questions Aaron Williams had from scouts coming into UT's pro day: can he catch the ball in the air? Brown caught the ball well and showed no effects of his broken forearm suffered at the end of last season. Brown also performed well in the drills. The question some teams had with Brown was in the interviews in Indianapolis about coverages and his ability to respond correctly to what teams were throwing at him. Chykie has already met with the Patriots and Ravens. Very few corners in the draft will be able to match his physical tools - 5-11 1/2, 191 pounds - with long arms and that speed and vertical (39.5 inches). But Chykie's film shows some mental errors and a penchant for a lazy play (pass interference). So if Chykie can solidify his interviews, the scouts I talked to see him possibly going in the third or fourth rounds after initially seeing him in the fourth or fifth rounds.

SAM ACHO - Everyone loved his speed, agility and interviews at the NFL combine. But they were worried about his size - just under 6-2 (6-1.6 inches) and 259 pounds as a 4-3 defensive end. He was starting to get penciled in as an outside linebacker at that size. So it was essential he performed well in the pass drop drills for the linebackers, and Acho did that. He flipped his hips and showed he can maintain his speed while backpedaling. Acho, too, may have moved into an early third-round pick after initially being tabbed as a third, fourth or fifth-round pick. Teams love his intelligence and work ethic. Acho told teams they'll never have to worry about him off the field. The Steelers showed a lot of interest in Acho, who was sought out by Mike Tomlin after the pro day.

MICHAEL HUEY - Huey may have helped himself quite a bit at UT's pro day. First of all, Huey showed up in great shape at 6-4, 304 pounds with a 33-inch vertical and 5.18 in the 40. But Huey grabbed scouts' attention with his ability to bench press 225 pounds 35 times. That's more than any offensive lineman did at the NFL combine (34). Add to the fact that Huey has been working out with a coach on snapping the ball from center, including short snap and long snap. If Huey can convince teams he can play any of the middle positions on the offensive line (both guards or center), then he may have even worked himself into being drafted. At the worst, Huey will go to camp with someone with a chance to make a roster, scouts said.

KYLE HIX - Hix did only OL drills at UT's pro day and otherwise rested on his performance from the NFL combine. He measured a legit 6-7 and 314 pounds, which impressed NFL scouts. But some scouts I talked to said they weren't overly impressed with Hix's film because he plays too high and doesn't finish blocks the way they would like. So they said he was not a lock to be drafted and may end up going to camp as a free agent. They all said he's a right tackle in the NFL and didn't see him on the left side. But they think he will go to camp with someone.

--Of the rest of the Longhorns working out for the NFL, John Chiles probably has the best chance of going to camp with a team, according to scouts I talked with. Eddie Jones, James Kirkendoll, Vondrell McGee, Jared Norton, Greg Smith and John Gold all worked out on Tuesday. And while Greg Smith (39.5-inch vertical) and James Kirkendoll (4.32 in the 40) turned in some impressive numbers, they don't have the film that Chiles does. Chiles ran 4.46 and 4.42 in the 40 with a 39.5-inch vertical at 6-1 and 212 pounds. Kirkendoll measured at 5-9.7 inches tall and 174 pounds. A couple scouts I talked to said Chiles may have to show he can tackle on special teams to make a roster. But they were impressed with his athleticism and versatility. Some wanted to know if he could return punts or kicks.

Hoops

The Longhorns will be looking to add at least one shooting guard or combo-guard in the 2012 class, and Texas is involved with some big names. One of the names Texas fans have heard before is five-star Archie Goodwin of Little Rock, Arkansas. The 6-4 scoring machine boasts offers from virtually every top program, and the Longhorns are one of those programs. Goodwin indicated tonight that the Horns are still checking up on him, and communicated with him throughout last week. He's beginning his AAU summer season now, but the possibility of a visit to Texas still could happen. I still get the vibe that he likes Kentucky more than most schools, but Goodwin has always counted the Longhorns in the race.

One of the newer names to keep an eye on in the 2012 class at that position is Ricardo Ledo. Once a Providence commitment, the nation's No. 7 player in the Rivals150 confirmed to Orangebloods.com tonight that he did recently receive a scholarship offer from Texas. Ledo attends Notre Dame HS in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, but is originally from Providence, Rhode Island. After talking with someone that covers recruiting in that neck of the woods, I got the impression that Ledo was fairly wide open. Also, this individual mentioned that Ledo talked about Texas before becoming a Providence commitment. This could be a name to really keep an eye on.

As I posted a few days ago, D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera of Indianapolis, Indiana is working on scheduling an unofficial visit to Texas. Smith-Rivera's AAU team is playing in Houston this weekend, but the plan is for a visit to happen sometime in late April. Texas is definitely interested in the five-star combo guard. His coach confirmed that a visit is in the works and that Smith-Rivera has been communicating with Texas regularly.

Baseball

Just a tidbit to pass along, but I wouldn't expect Cohl Walla to play this weekend. He's still working his way back after fouling a ball off very hard just below his left knee.
This post was edited on 4/1 9:33 AM by Jason Howell
This post was edited on 4/1 11:25 AM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News