ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (April 12th)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Brought to you by ...

1211564.gif

One of the most closely-watched positions for the Longhorns this spring was at the tight end spot. Texas was finally able to keep guys healthy at that position in 2011, and the hope is that the group of TEs will continue to improve this off-season and play an important role in the Bryan Harsin-Major Applewhite offense, which likes to line up multiple tight ends on the field at the same time.

We checked in with a source this week for a post-spring progress report.

"I thought all the tight ends got better," we're told.

D.J. Grant showed flashes last year of his big-play ability, including his three-TD performance against UCLA. He should be even better in 2012.

"D.J.'s knee is stronger than it has been and you can tell in the way he's moving now," our source said.

The guy who has everyone excited after a redshirt year in 2011 is M.J. McFarland, who also drew praise for his efforts this spring.

"M.J. McFarland is going to be great. Just wait," our source said. "Maybe not this year, but in the upcoming years."

Barrett Matthews was described as a player whose greatest assets are his strength and his ability as a blocker. Matthews has bought into his strengths.

"He's accepted that now and he's in more of a fullback role," our source said. (Suchomel)

We also spoke to someone with detailed knowledge of the Texas defensive backs to get some thoughts on that group.

"It doesn't take a genius to see that Carrington (Byndom) and Quandre (Diggs) will probably be the best corner tandem in the Big 12," a source said. "Kenny (Vaccaro) is the senior in the secondary and by this time, the game is really slow and comes easily to him."

Over the course of the spring, Mack Brown mentioned that Adrian Phillips will be a key player for the UT defense and a likely starter at safety alongside Vaccaro. Phillips didn't play at all in the spring due to shoulder surgery, but it sounds like there's no reason to worry about him bouncing back.

"Adrian Phillips will be back from his shoulder and he's one of the hardest workers on the team. He won't let anyone outwork him," our source said.

And the young guys?

"(UT) might have the best secondary in the Big 12. Duke Thomas and Josh Turner are probably going to be the back-up corners and Mykkele Thompson and Leroy Scott are the back-up safeties," we're told. "Mykkele is a great athlete. He just moves differently than pretty much everyone else on the team. He just needs to get stronger and be more physical, which will come in time.

"Leroy isn't as athletic. He's not a corner though. He's just an unselfish guy that loves contact and enjoys playing the game.

"Josh has really good technique. He's not the fastest guy but that doesn't get exposed because he's never in bad position. He also played some safety this spring." (Suchomel)

We also checked in on the wide receivers, a group that had a strong spring showing according to insiders. Last year the WRs were a bit snake-bitten. Injuries to guys like John Harris and Jaxon Shipley played a part. The loss of Malcolm Williams before the season ever started was a setback. Marquis Goodwin not going through spring ball or fall camp limited his development under Darrell Wyatt and a brand new offense. 2012 could be a bounceback year, according to a source with knowledge of the UT receiver corps.

"Mike Davis had a great spring. He lost himself a little bit during last season. He had some personal stuff going on but he bounced back strong this off-season and spring. I'm no expert scout but he's a special player. I'm sure he'll play in the NFL," our source said.

"Shipley is Shipley. I don't know what else to say about him."

DeSean Hales "had a good spring as well," our source said. The biggest concern with Hales is his consistency and "he just has to stay all the way healthy."

"Miles Onyegbule had an okay spring. Don't be surprised if you see him in the tight end room a bunch next year," our source said.

Bryant Jackson will undergo surgery on Friday for a broken bone in his foot, but he showed some flashes in spring practices. John Harris came back for the second half of spring ball and those two give Texas a different body type than the other guys on campus.

"Bryant Jackson and John Harris give the team that size outside that the other guys don't have. Those two could be described as players who can help move the chains," our source said. (Suchomel)

Had a good conversation with a source close to the situation who told me the offensive and defensive lines are light years more confident than a year ago.

"Last year, at this time, you had a bunch of young guys up front learning a new offense," the source said. "They were unsure and lacked confidence. Right now, the guys feel a lot more comfortable with what they are doing. Even after spring ball, they are working out together in the weight room and policing each other in terms of film study and extra work."

Last year, Stacy Searels and co-offensive coordinators Bryan Harsin and Major Applewhite were looking for starters on the offensive line. Remember? David Snow started off at center. Tray Allen was at left tackle. Then, Searels shuffled the deck. Well, this year, he appears set on Donald Hawkins at LT, Trey Hopkins at LG, Dom Espinosa at C, Mason Walters at RG and Josh Cochran at RT.

"This year, everyone knows who the starters are," the source said. "But it has been made clear by the coaching staff that backups become starters because of injury or lack of effort. Guys are told, 'You will be replaced by someone who is bringing it all the time.'"

The goal is to have a complete second-team line that can come in at times and provide relief to the starters, especially in the non-conference season, when the heat is a factor the most.

David Ash continues to be the leader in the off-season, but the coaches have indicated they will make Case McCoy a part of the game plan because he's earning playing time with his unselfish, positive attitude.

The coaches have told the players they fully expect a passing game that has no limitations. A big part of that will be a running game that can demoralize defenses. The coaches expect a running game that can average 200 to 250 yards per game on the ground. If that average can be reached, the coaches full expect being able to add another 200 to 250 per game through the air.

The progress of the defensive line - across the board, from a starter like Ashton Dorsey, to the continued progress of third-down/pass-rush guys such as Brandon Moore and Chris Whaley. No one has a bad thing to say about the progress of Dorsey, Desmond Jackson and backup DE Cedric Reed. The coaches know what Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat can do.

"There's a real swagger developing on the D-line that may be contagious," one source said. "If something special happens this season, it will be because of the strength in both lines." (BROWN)

William Russ, it appears, will have competition for the punting job from Alex King, a redshirt junior at Duke who finished No. 34 nationally in punting with an average of 42.1 yards per game. (Last year, Justin Tucker averaged 39.2 ypp.)

King visited Texas for the Orange and White game and will graduate in May. He has a year of eligibility remaining, and wants to use the Russell Wilson transfer rule to play for Texas this fall, op-. (That rule states if you graduate and there's a graduate degree plan at another school that's not offered at your current school, you can transfer and be eligible immediately.)

King is a walk-in starter at punter, unless Russ really ups his game. Nonetheless, it sets up a heck of a battle and some depth. (BROWN)

A lot of y’all have asked why Cameron Ridley didn’t sign in the first period, and I too have wondered that.

While I was at Fort Bend Bush, I asked around, and chatted with several people about just that. The general consensus was that those around Ridley wanted to make sure he was ready for college. That simple. Before signing away on the dotted line, I got the impression that everyone around Ridley just wanted to make sure that he was ready to make the jump, which is probably where the reclassifying to 2013 rumor came from. It didn’t seem like there was anything fishy according to the people I talked to, and grades weren’t an issue. Keith White referenced it in the story I wrote, but Ridley has blossomed into a very humble, hardworking young man that really didn’t talk to anyone when he first started playing basketball. Despite being a giant on the court, Ridley is very soft spoken off of it.

Basically, everything I gathered pointed towards a kid and those around him simply not wanting to rush into college and be overwhelmed by the idea of it, if that makes sense. (McComas)

Yes, I went to “OB School of Tease” this week with the thread that Texas could be receiving more good hoops news soon, but the process hasn’t developed as quickly as I thought.

I’ll just go ahead and say it: very good sources continue to tell me that Jordan Clarkson will ultimately transfer from Tulsa, and the sources have told me that the process to transfer has started. And when he does, I’ve heard that Texas will be on the top of his list of schools to choose from.

Now, this isn’t official as all players have to file the paperwork to transfer, and get approved for it. However, the sources I’ve spoken with feel confident that it will happen. (McComas)

We caught up with Dallas Skyline WR and UT target Ra'Shaad Samples for the first time since his injury at the Dallas Nike Camp.

Samples said he's communicated with the Texas coaches twice since the injury.

"I talked to them once as soon as I got hurt. They were just telling me they were praying for me, asking if everything was okay, if I need anything from them, don't be shy to ask."

Samples had talked to Jake Oliver's father about riding down with the Olivers for the UT spring game, but Samples ended up having a doctor's appointment that prevented him from making the trip.

Samples continues to evaluate all his recruiting options, which are plentiful, and he's putting his focus on his rehab for the time being.

"Things were really coming into focus before I got hurt," Sample said. "But now that's taken a backseat to the injury."

The Longhorns are still believed to be the clear leader for his commitment, but Samples is staying patient as he goes through the process. He's been advised to make sure he's 100 percent certain with his decision before pulling the trigger on a commitment so that he doesn't have any second thoughts once he makes his decision.

The plan right now is to possibly commit over the summer, with a pledge during the Gridiron Kings 7-on-7 Tournament as an option. If it doesn't happen then, Samples said he'll probably take a couple official visits before deciding. (Suchomel)

We talked with UT signee Shiro Davis this week and he reflected on his decision to decommit from the in-state LSU Tigers and switch to the Longhorns on national signing day.

"It had been in the back of mind through the whole recruiting process," Davis said. "I guess you could say I was kind of scared to go over there (to Texas). My mom and I talked on the way back from the LSU visit, she asked why I told them I was going there 100 percent because that wasn't true? We talked about it then on (Texas) is what we came up with."

Davis said he was worried about getting grief from fans, but "a lot of people didn't do what I thought they were going to do. It wasn't as bad as I thought." (Suchomel)

Caught up with Dallas Carter running back Corey Avery, who was at UT's spring game on April 1.

Avery has yet to visit anywhere else, and he said he was impressed with what he saw in Austin.

"I liked the way they were energetic, the way they were moving the ball up and down the field and just having fun out there," Avery said. "The stadium looked good. The field looked good."

Along with Texas, Avery said he's received letters from Oklahoma, Minnesota and a few other programs. He lists Ohio State as his dream school, followed by Florida and Texas. TCU and Baylor are also on his early list.

"My strength is running the ball and catching, my quickness and speed," the 5-10, 180-pound Avery said. "I'm still working in the weight room, trying to get stronger and stronger every day."

During the UT spring game visit, Avery spoke with RB coach Major Applewhite. Avery was invited to a UT camp in June, and Avery is planning to attend. (Suchomel)

With the spring evaluation process on deck for colleges across the country, we’ll be working on updating the 2013 and 2014 LSR Rankings in the next couple of weeks, but I thought this would be a good time to provide an early primer for the elite prospects in 2014. In two months, these will be the names at the forefront of Texas’ recruiting plans, so it’s never too early to start the tracking process.

1. Hoza Scott/LB/La Porte

Breakdown: A month ago, the state’s No.1 in 2014 seemed like A&M lean, but things seemed to have opened up in the last few weeks. It seems like a UT vs. A&M vs. LSU battle in the making. We should know a lot more about the direction this battle is going in after he makes the rounds this summer.

Confirmed summer camps: Texas, LSU and Texas A&M

Key Quotes: (Via Tigerbait on 4/6) "Eventually I want to go to different schools and see if I like them. When I talked to coach McGaughey he seemed really interested. They want me to come up there and visit. The head coach (Les Miles) really wants to meet me, so I've got make the time to come down there."

(Via OB on 3/16) “I wanted to go to A&M because I knew they had a good outside linebacker coach, but since all that stuff changed I haven’t been hearing from them. I’d probably go to Alabama too because they have a fast defense and everybody is fast paced and I like that kind of stuff.”

“I grew up rooting for A&M because my poppa (grandpa) went there and he had family that went there. I’ve always watched them. He didn’t play for them or anything. He just went to school out there.”

“During the football season they wanted me to come to one of their football games, but I couldn’t make it,” he said. “Then coach said they wanted me to come to one of their camps and he said he would take me up there for one of their day camps.”

2. Nick Harvey/Ath/Lancaster

Breakdown: The Longhorns are making up ground fast after a trip to Austin for the spring game. Although he’s pretty wide open as he enters the recruiting process and has listed schools like LSU/Florida as schools of interest, the Longhorns are in a good position going into the summer.”

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/2) "The (Texas) coaches, a lot of them knew me. That kind of surprised me. That made it seem like they were interested in me a lot. They knew me by my face instead of having to ask me who I was."

"Everything is open. Academics will be the first factor. Then seeing if I can see myself staying there for four years. And how the team is, seeing if I can be in that family."

"Texas is probably in my top five. (On Sunday), they were talking about my film, how they liked it. They just told me to keep working, doing what I'm doing."

"It will probably be about this time next year. I just want to have it done so I don't have to worry about it during the season."

3. Darrion Johnson/Ath/Brenham

Breakdown: The state’s No.1 pure corner prospect regardless of classification is already attracting attention from all of the heavy-hitters that recruit the state, but this could turn into an LSU vs. Texas battle when the dust settles. Just pay attention to everything BrenhamHorn says.

4. Derick Roberson/DE/SA Brennan

Breakdown: Roberson is a guy that we hope to speak with this week, but the early vibe is that the Longhorns are in good shape heading into the summer.

5. Ronald Monroe/QB/Fort Bend Bush

Breakdown: It’s still very early in his recruitment and he pretty wide-open heading into the spring evaluation process and summer camp circuit. Monroe has indicated that if the Longhorns begin to show more interest, they’ll be a team he has a strong interest in.

Confirmed summer camps: Baylor, Houston, A&M and Texas

6. Solomon Thomas/DE/Coppell

Breakdown: The Longhorns appear to be in great shape after his spring game visit. Look for the coaches to work to cement his status during the spring and June summer camp. He’s indicated that he wants to look around and he hasn’t declared a true list of favorites, but you can’t dispute that the Longhorns are in a prime position.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/4) "Texas is definitely up there. They're probably around No. 1, but I'm so young I can't decide anything right now. But they're definitely up there."

“I live in Texas. I like Texas, I really like the coaches, they made me feel comfortable how they're all about education. They emphasize the student in student athlete. It's a great school and known to be a great program. It would be an honor to play there."

7. Varshaun Nixon/RB/Lake Travis

Breakdown: The Longhorns made a big impression on Nixon at the spring game. He’s keeping his options open, but Texas is probably the smart money if they pursue with an offer.

Key Quotes: (Via RedRaiderSports on 4/6) "It was a good experience and I got to see a lot guys that are in the NFL, Ricky William's Heisman trophy, and Bevo's horns on the wall. It was a good atmosphere there. If you're going to go to Texas you better be ready to compete with all those guys there because it's going to be hard to get to number one on that depth chart."

(Via OB on 4/4) "I went out there and they all knew me. They knew my name already. I was really surprised to have Major Applewhite or Mack Brown know who I am."

"Texas is up there. They're one of the best schools in the nation, so they're going to be there. I have to look for the program that is going to fit me best though. Texas is up there. I would go to Texas, but I don't know how they really feel about me."

(Via OB on 3/23) “I really haven’t heard a lot from Texas. I’ve been on Orangebloods before and I’ve seen them talking about me a little bit. I don’t know. I’ve just heard from my coaches they’ve seen me and they have me on their radar.”

“I grew up watching a little bit of Texas football. I’ve been living in Texas all my life. Everyone likes Texas around me. There’s nothing but Texas in Austin, so you just have to jump on the bandwagon. Those guys, they’re good. They have top D1 recruits all the time. It’s a great school. You have to be in the top 10-percent of your class just to get into that school.”

8. Ed Paris/DB/Mansfield Timberview

Breakdown: This native of Louisiana appears headed out of state and there’s a very strong chance he ends up in Baton Rouge. He’s taken unofficial visits to Auburn, LSU, UCLA, USC, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech and Georgia,

Confirmed summer camps: Alabama and Florida, and possibly USC and UCLA

Key Quotes: (Via Tigerbait on 4/5) "I'm going back to LSU camp. I'll probably go to the USC and UCLA camps. I know for sure I'm going to be at the Alabama and Florida camps."

(Via OB on 3/30) "I'm just keeping things open. First I have to see things, get a feel for the school, the atmosphere. I also need to know education wise.”

"I'm not really familiar with any of the Texas schools. When I come down there, I'll keep my eyes open, see if I like anything. I do know Vince Young. When I first moved down here, he was very popular."

9. Jerrod Heard/QB/Denton Guyer

Breakdown: Heard is likely the leader in the clubhouse for the 2014 quarterback offer and it’s probably not rocket science at that point.

Confirmed summer camps: Texas

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/4) "It was amazing. I got to meet him and talk to him. It was something I will never forget. It was Mack Brown. It was great."

"It was amazing. It's a big city, a real big city actually. I felt at home. It was not that far. It was just a three-hour drive. It was really nice."

(Via OB on 3/9) “It was definitely Texas. That’s all that was in this house. That’s how I grew up. All of my family is Texas fans and I grew up and knew I liked Texas.”

10. K.D. Cannon/WR/Mount Pleasant

Breakdown: Cannon currently lists Oklahoma State as his favorite school, with Miami and West Virginia ranking behind them. The Longhorns have some work to do if they are going to seriously be in the mix, so getting him on campus this summer would be big.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/4) "Texas A&M is up there with Oklahoma St. and West Virginia."

(Via OB on 3/16) “Oklahoma St., I just like because they have a good receivers coach and they like to throw the ball,”

11. Cedric Collins/CB/Dallas Kimball

Breakdown: One of the state’s top cornerback prospects is currently pretty wide open, having listed Miami and Oklahoma as childhood favorites in a conversation in March with OB. Don’t be shocked if this recruitment turns into a Texas vs. A&M battle when the dust settles.

Confirmed summer camps: Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor.

Key Quotes: (Via PonyPride on 3/26) "It is never too early to commit."

(Via AggieYell on 3/23) "I like how (A&M is) going to be in the SEC. That's probably my favorite conference. I like how the coaches work the players, kind of like they do at Skyline. They have expectations for us."

On Texas: "About the same thing as A&M. I like their defensive backs coach. He has put a lot of guys into the league. I worked with him at their camp my freshman year."

(Via OB on 3/9) “(Being recruited) is just a blessing. I just try to do my best and hopefully it pays off in the end.”

12. James David/LB/Rockdale

Breakdown: Davis falls into the category of 2014 kids that we still need to catch up with in the next week of two.

13. Josh Mabin/LB/Klein Oak

Breakdown: See James David. Mabin is on the list of guys we’re working to get updates on.

14. Zach Whitley/LB/North Shore

Breakdown: Talked with a person with knowledge of his recruitment this week and the Longhorns are one of a number of teams that Whitley has an early interest in. I didn’t get the sense that a favorite currently exists. It’ll be interesting to see how his recruitment evolves this spring when the offers likely start to pour in.

15. Samaje Perine/RB/Pflugerville Hendrickson

Breakdown: A native of Jackson, Alabama, it seems that this recruitment is in its infancy stage. Alabama and Oregon are two personal favorites, but this thing is just warming up. The Longhorns appear to have made up some ground in the last month or so.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/6) “I actually went to two spring games this past weekend. I went to the LSU one on Saturday and the Texas one on Sunday. They were both pretty cool but the Texas one was more… I don’t know the exact word for it but you got to actually meet the position coaches and all that stuff.”

“I like Texas. They seem to have a lot of running backs running through there right now which doesn’t intimidate me at all but they just seem to have a lot of running backs. They also send a couple of them to the NFL. They seem to do pretty good. I’m just keeping my options open right now. I’m not going to set my mind on one schools I want to go to.

“Going down to LSU I didn’t’ really know many of the players but once I got down there and saw how they played and the teamwork I really liked it.”

16. Cameron Hampton/LB/Dallas Carter

Breakdown: If the Longhorns offer this Dallas Carter star, there’s a good chance that he becomes a Longhorn. Florida is the out of state team to keep an eye on.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 3/23) “That’s my second favorite school. I’m ready to go see the Longhorns. I would be happy to part of their whole program. I’m ready to go everywhere.”

“Florida, I’ve been liking since I was a little boy. Texas, my whole family could come see me play and they would enjoy me being close to home.”

17. Dequone Shaw/DE/Dallas Roosevelt

Breakdown: Shaw hasn’t started to really focus on recruiting and he hasn’t been to a lot of campuses yet, but he has listed Baylor and Texas Tech as two teams of interest. His recruitment could look much different following the spring.

Confirmed summer camps: No plans as of yet.

18. Armanti Foreman/WR/Texas City

Breakdown: Foreman lists Florida as his favorite school early on, but he’s pretty open at this point in the process, along with his brother, who prefers LSU. They both visited the Longhorns for the spring game and it’s simply too early to draw a clear conclusion.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/6) “(The Texas visit) was good. I’ve never been to a college. It wasn’t just fully packed but the atmosphere and watching them play it was nice. They treated us well. I liked it.”

19. Tony Brown/CB/Beaumont Ozen

Breakdown: Brown is receiving interest from all over the region, but the Longhorns will be tough to beat if they make him a priority.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/6) "With Texas, I grew up as a little kid, all through middle school I watched Texas. It was like a dream school. Then it's actually coming to life that I could actually have a chance to go to Texas. I'm just working hard, but that's amazing to me. There are going to be some hard decisions that I'll have to make my senior year."

"The coaches actually knew who I was. Coach Akina knew who I was right away, shook my hand and talked to me. Then the defensive coordinator shook my hand and talked to me."

"Alabama is one of them. Texas is one of them, one of those track and football schools that I could do both at. Texas A&M is another one. LSU is another where I could do both. Florida State is another. Oregon, USC, UCLA are in there and Texas Tech offered me a track scholarship."

20. Chris Hardeman/CB/Alief Taylor

Breakdown: Hardeman is a true national prospect with multi-sport aspirations and it looks like he will look all over the nation, with the Longhorns ranking as one of his early leaders, but there’s no clear-cut slam-dunk favorite.

Confirmed summer camps: LSU (6/3), A&M (6/9), Texas (6/10) and FSU (7/16)

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 4/4) "In no order it would be LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Oregon and Florida State.”

"It just all depends on the colleges that offer me and if I can get a chance to go visit the place. I went to LSU on Saturday. I've been to Texas, been to Texas A&M, been to Miami. Maybe this time next year, I may have a commitment. But if more schools that I'm interested in are from out of state, I may have to wait to take some (official) visits before I make a commitment."

(Via OB on 3/16) “My dream school is Miami. But I also like LSU. I’m a track and football guy so I like Texas A&M. They have a good track program. I went to Miami, Rice, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas camps last year. I’m going to LSU June 3rd, A&M June 9th, and then I’m going to Texas June 10th. I’m supposed to go to FSU July 16th.”

“Coach Giles and coach Diaz came to the school, and my head coach told them about me. At the time they didn’t say anything. I think they were around to see Torrodney Prevot. But I’m very interested in them. I know Texas is like DBU. I really love coach Akina. I love their style of play and his coaching style. I went to their camp going into my sophomore year.”

(Ketch)
This post was edited on 4/13 10:20 AM by ChipBrown

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News