ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (August 12th - Recruits talk A&M to SEC impact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
12 things to start things off with…

1. The quarterback discussion continues to draw fascinating discussion from all sides, but I’ll try and sort out the order of things as we head into Saturday’s key scrimmage now that we’re a week into camp and we’ve seen a little action in pads. If I’m being completely honest, the reports are just all over the place. There’s a lot of soft and medium-level buying on Garrett Gilbert and it would be a big surprise if he’s not the No.1 guy to start the season. Even if the reps have been spread out pretty evenly throughout camp, the job is his to lose. The No.2 right now looks like Case McCoy and I don’t think that changes before the opener. One guy tells me he looks the best, the next tells me that he’s not consistently getting the job done. Back and forth all over the source front. 10 people… 10 opinions. The issue is whether David Ash can close the gap on McCoy in the coming weeks enough to truly make a charge by the opener. I can’t say that I have a feel for this one completely. Saturday is huge.

2. Situational backs making situational plays is the name of the game for the UT running backs. Fozzy Whittaker has never looked better, but he’s not going to be every answer for this team’s rushing offense. By-committee all the way right now with sprinkles of Whittaker, DJ Monroe, Joe Bergeron, Jeremy Hills and eventually Malcolm Brown. All have looked good and shown flashes in camp, but none have looked like guys that will be used in the way that you’d project a starting or front-line back.

3. The names at the wide receiver position are not changing. I’m talking Mike Davis, Darius White, John Harris and Jaxon Shipley. Depending on the day and the source, any of the four have been talked about more than the others. Was told by someone that watched the team this week that Davis/Shipley in the slot and Harris/White are on the outside.

4. I think DJ Grant pulls away over Blaine Irby at tight end in time, although both will play. There’s still some concern over how Irby will hold up over a long season. Darius Terrell started slow, but is coming on. Those are the top three from a pass-catching standpoint. By all accounts, Barrett Matthews is throwing his body around as a blocker, so the combined efforts at this position should be improved from the last few years.

5. Don’t discount Mason Walters at right tackle with David Snow at guard and Dom Espinosa at center. One source I emailed with this week told me that he likes a number of the changes taking place with the line, especially with Walters on the outside, along with Snow and Espinosa as a tandem inside. Both have alternated between guard and center. Also, two players taking snaps at left tackle are Trey Allen and Taylor Doyle. There’s a ton of pulling and trapping from the linemen in this offense, so if you are overweight and can’t move, you can’t play. Even though Thomas Ashcraft has streamlined his body, there’s a feeling that he still isn’t in the kind of shape that would make him a natural fit in the offense. Also, the same source felt like all of the freshmen offensive linemen were headed to redshirts or needed to be heading towards redshirts based on early results. I haven’t heard that Luke Poehlmann has made himself a factor yet.

6. The defensive tackle spot hasn’t sorted itself out yet, but that’s a good thing. There are guys in there not named Kheeston Randall that are competing at levels the team never saw last season. People feel good about where this group is going. Desmond Jackson’s presence will increase every day, but he’s not a front-line contributor just yet. Ask again in two weeks or four or six. Just a matter of time.

7. Over at defensive end, flip a coin on Alex Okafor or Jackson Jeffcoat. The No.3 defensive end spot is less cut and dry. Add up Reggie Wilson and Chris Whaley and you have an All-American, but separately they still have issue ? Wilson’s strength at the point of attack and Whaley’s presence as a threat off the edge. This is a position still in development.

8. In a year from now Steve Edmond might be the best player on the Texas defense. Give Bennie Wylie a year with him. As it is, he’s still an exciting young player that’s creating a buzz. The kid can flat out play football, even if he’s unlike anyone on the team at the position from a size standpoint.

9. Linebacker is the strongest position on the team.

10. Nothing has changed in the secondary from what I’ve reported a couple of times this week. It’s a work in progress. There are a lot of names in the mix that show flashes, but this is a group of individuals right now, rather than a collection of individual parts making up a strong group. One person told me on Thursday that you can literally see the defensive backs thinking on the field.

11. It’s a race between Shipley and Quandre Diggs to see which freshman starts first. With Adrian Phillips cross-training everywhere and possibly earning the nickel corner slot, the door is open for Diggs.

12. Safety has emerged as the most pressing concern from the start of camps. There’s a feeling that this group can and will come together, but it’s a work in progress. There’s no reason to jump off bridges, but there is a myriad of concerns in there here and now. (Ketch)

With high school teams busy preparing for their season openers and college coaches doing the same, there's very little going on in the world of recruiting (although we do have an interesting update on the state's top prospect for 2013 ... more on that in a bit). For those who have been trapped under a rock, collegiate pre-season practices and Texas A&M's possible move to the SEC has dominated most of the football conversation in the Lone Star State.

With that in mind, we decided to go a different route with this week's recruiting portion of the War Room ... we called several top prospects to get their thoughts on the possibility of more Big 12 defections.

Would the idea of seeing Texas A&M play in the SEC make the Aggies more attractive? Would it diminish the Aggies' value because it would remove a lot of their games them from the state of Texas? Would it hurt the overall perception of the Big 12, thus impacting the recruiting efforts of the remaining teams? Would it have any impact at all?

The verdict ... most players simply don't care. In fact, about half the players we talked to were completely unaware of any potential conference realignment.

--- 2013 Sealy wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones, ranked No. 4 on the LSR, said any move by the Aggies would have no bearing on his decision.

"I haven't even really paid attention to that. I didn't even know about it. I'm just worried about high school ball," Seals-Jones said. "It wouldn't change anything for me. There's no way it would decide if I was going to go there or not. If they stayed or moved, it wouldn't really matter to me."

Seals-Jones said pre-season practices are going well (he's playing both QB and WR). He's paid little attention to the recruiting process in the past few weeks.

"Things have been quiet since July. I haven't talked to any coaches," Seals-Jones said.

As for Texas? "They fit like a lot of schools. I'd like to play there if they gave me a chance to. If they give me a scholarship, I would for sure think about going, but I would have to talk to my parents," Seals-Jones said.
scrimmage tomorrow Navasota

--- Add Pearland Dawson running back James White to the list of top players who had no idea A&M was considering a move. And remember, White has the Aggies (and UT) at or near the top of his list.

"I didn't even know about it. But it really wouldn't change my perspective about it," White said. "I guess that would be nice to go play in the SEC because it's a big conference but it's not going to impact my decision."

White and Dawson finished two-a-day workouts on Thursday and will begin their regular practice schedule on Friday. The team has its first scrimmage next Friday.

On the recruiting front, things have been very quiet for the No. 18 player on the 2013 LSR. White said he hasn't talked to UT since camping at Texas in June, but he said the Longhorns would still be in his top five if he were to formulate a list today. The only other school he could for sure say would make the cut? Texas A&M .

--- Finally, after making several calls, I found a recruit who was following to the latest conference realignment rumors.

Celina OT/DE Jake Raulerson said he's "paying close attention" to the latest scuttlebutt. Raulerson admitted that a move by A&M would give him something to think about since he's a huge fan of the SEC, but he said more traditional recruiting factors still carry more weight.

"I don't know what I'd think of Big 12 then. It kind of seems like they're falling apart a little bit. Two teams have left, now maybe another team. Sooner or later there may be no Big 12. That would kind of suck," Raulerson said. "The SEC is good but I think the Big 12 is a good conference as well, but guys are leaving.

"In my eyes, for me personally, it would boost A&M purely because of the conference. I've told many people that I'm a big SEC fan. I like the conference so it would be boost them in my eyes but I don't know if it would in other kids' eyes because they might not like the SEC or having to play their games that far away from home."

Raulerson added that one of the biggest drawbacks would be the possibility of losing the in-state rivalries, especially the UT-A&M game.

"Going back to the Southwest Conference, all the ties with Texas teams, moving on is going to be tough for (A&M)," Raulerson said. "It would be cool to see them play SEC teams, but who would be there new rivalry? A&M and Mississippi State? It takes time to build a rivalry. You don't build a rivalry over one year. That would be a bad deal for A&M recruiting wise if they didn't play any Texas teams."

On the recruiting front, things are pretty quiet with Raulerson, ranked No. 12 on the 2013 LSR. He and his Celina teammates are busy with pre-season practices. Raulerson is starting at right tackle and nose guard.

The blue-chip prospect did talk to UT head coach Mack Brown about a week ago.

"He just asked how things were going. He said things were looking good, he's excited for the season to start and he's ready to get going," Raulerson said.

Raulerson is trying to work out his fall schedule and his hope is to hit as many college games as possible. The one UT game he knows for sure he'll attend is the Red River Rivalry in Dallas. (Suchomel)

Last, but certainly not least, some actual recruiting news of interest ...

The early choice as the state's top prospect for the 2013 class, Whitewright QB Tyrone Swoopes, visited a TCU practice earlier this week.

We talked to a person with close ties to the TCU program, and it sounds like the Horned Frogs made a very strong impression, as they've done during Stoops' numerous previous visits to the TCU campus.

Our sources said Swoopes was giving the TCU coaches strong indication that TCU is the team to beat. Swoopes is friends with Van Alstyine OL prospects Alex Mayes (2013) and Connor Mayes (2014). If TCU makes the Mayes brothers top targets, the word coming out of Fort Worth is that the Frogs may be tough to beat. Stay tuned on this one. (Suchomel)

Today I had the chance to get out to Harker Heights to watch the Knights go through their last day without full pads.

It cannot be said enough how well Camrhon Hughes moves for a big guy. He is now over 300 pounds and he carries it well. He is capable of pulling around and getting to the next level. They weren’t in full pads but he does a good job of lining up smaller guys in space. He even showed off some athleticism picking off a pass while joking around during a break and showed some nice moves after the catch.

Darius James worked at center the entire practice and he is one guy I like more and more every time I see him. He’s slimmed down to around 310 pounds from the 330 he was at in the spring.

“I feel mobile. I feel looser,” James said.

He is likely a guard or center on the college level and is athletic enough where he will continue to see time on both sides of the ball for Harker Heights in 2011. James being one of the top prospects in the 2013 class already has several schools interested and this morning he named three schools standing out at this point.

“I think my top three right now is OU, Baylor, and UT,” he said. “I’ve always loved UT because being in Texas that’s always been the top school. Baylor, it’s like the hometown for my family. Most of my family lives in Waco and I’ve just always had a feel for them too. And OU, I love to win and that’s what they do best so I like them a lot.”

2013 prospect Naashon Hughes has been putting in work with older brother Camrhon this summer with a trainer. He says he is now 6-4, 210 pounds and is looking forward to playing free safety and receiver for the Knights. He has filled out nicely and could continue to grow and if he does he could easily end up at OLB or even DE. He did camp at Baylor and Texas and said both looked at him at S and WR.

Naashon says he has been hearing from many of the schools who recruited Camrhon, and Camrhon has said before he has been recruiting his brother as well as Darius for the Longhorns.

“He’s told me a lot,” Naashon Hughes said. “Ever since we were little he’s been talking about UT and at first I wasn’t on board with the UT thing. I didn’t get it and I was always against them. Now he’s kind of persuaded me to be a UT fan. He’s talked to me a lot about it.” (Howell)

Recruits chime in on how Texas A&M to the SEC could affect them

Derrick Griffin, WR, Rosenberg Terry: I wouldn’t care. It doesn’t matter.
Darius James, OL, Harker Heights: I don’t really pay attention to the Big 12 and SEC and all of that. I just see football teams.

Ja’Braylin Thomas, OL, Weimar: Honestly, I don’t know. It really wouldn’t. I see them as a pretty good team with a good line-up as it is.

Marcell Ateman, WR, Wylie East: No, A&M hasn’t really been as interested in me. I think A&M came out to look at me, Quan, and our tight end. I haven’t really been as interested in them as my other choices. I didn’t even know that really.

Chevoski Collins, WR, Livingston: Moving to the SEC is going to be a big step in the SEC. They’ll be battling every week. It wouldn’t really affect it, but I would know moving into that conference there’s a lot of great teams and you’ll be getting better as a player

Quan Jones, WR, Wylie East: It would probably affect me. It’s good for them. That’s a positive affect for me, but they’re good in the Big 12.

Vincent Taylor, DT, San Antonio Madison: It really wouldn’t affect me at all knowing that the SEC is a very competitive conference and I could see myself playing. Even if they moved to the SEC I could still see myself fitting into their program.

Dannon Cavil, WR, San Antonio Madison: It kind of would be a shocker because it’s a Texas school and it’s been in the Big 12. The SEC is a tough conference. It could go both ways because the SEC is a big conference and they win the national championship game.

Naashon Hughes, ATH, Harker Heights: People say the SEC is the best conference and I still don’t think it is I think it’s the Big 12. So them going to the SEC is a letdown to me because they’re leaving the better conference for the lesser one.

Random hoops recruiting thought

Well, after talking to 2012 Mater Dei guard Katin Reinhardt earlier in the week it sounded like he could make a commitment on one of his visits. He made a visit recently to UNLV, but didn’t commit. The thinking was that the Rebels were in great shape, but that Reinhardt could be won over with a strong visit. That thinking vanished today when Reinhardt committed to UNLV. What does it mean for UT? Well, he was obviously behind Marcus Smart on the list of targets at the guard position. Plus, I think Texas still would like to take at minimum two more bigs, and possibly three. With four guards in last year’s class, Texas has at least three guys that should be here for their sophomore season. Of course, Texas fans hope its four and that Myck Kabongo says thanks, but no thanks to the NBA. Throw in Javan Felix, and I think Texas only needs one more elite guard with the possibility of taking an elite 2/3. Make no mistake about it ? it needs to be an elite guard. Smart is that guy, and is Texas’ guy all the way. Now, will he end up at UT? The Longhorns certainly hope so, but it’s not a false sense of hope. They’re in as good of a position as any team recruiting him.

Ultimately, how Texas reads these unofficial visits and conversations with other targets will be huge. I know. Duh. But recruiting in this scenario is like a game of poker, and a coaching staff has to pick its targets wisely based on who they think they need to get while also realizing who needs to most work to get.

Right now, it feels like the 2012 recruiting class is waiting for one domino to fall ? Marcus Smart. The eggs feel like they’re all in that basket. Now, his decision one way or another doesn’t affect the likes of Prince Ibeh and Connor Lammert, both of whom feel like top targets. For that matter, it doesn’t necessarily affect what UT wants to do with its bigs. Three big men makes the most sense given the guard scenario I already mentioned. But Smart feels like the big piece to the puzzle right now because Texas has made him the absolute top target. Lately, Smart has gone a little bit underground, but this one will be a battle. I genuinely don’t think he’s really leaning hard one way or another, but the consensus amongst the world of basketball recruiting is that UT might be a slight favorite.

Random hoops tidbits

Houston could seriously be a player for Danuel House. Every time he names a top group Texas is there, but Houston is legitimately in it for House and Chicken Knowles. When I asked an AAU coach in Houston tonight if the interest was for real, he didn’t hesitate to say yes.

Torian Graham, rated as the No. 27 overall prospect in the 2012 Rivals150, is a player that Texas has been tagged to recently. Once a NC State commitment, this product of Durham, North Carolina doesn’t sound like he’ll be making a decision soon. I spoke with an assistant coach of Graham’s team tonight, and he didn’t feel like Graham’s recruitment would really move one way or another until he gets back to high school. However, it’s been suggested that Kentucky is the slam dunk favorite. The Horns might entertain him, but from my perspective it doesn’t appear to be a situation in which Texas could really position itself to make a strong run at Graham.

A west coast source indicated to me tonight that North Hollywood, California power forward Zena Edosomwan is “very, very interested” in Texas. Edosmwan is rated as the No. 114 prospect in the Rivals150, had an outstanding summer, and measures in a 6-8, 215 pounds. I think he’s behind a few guys on Texas’ pecking order, but the Horns would be in great shape if they recruited him heavily.

Baseball MLB signing thoughts

1) After having a few conversations today about Josh Bell, it doesn’t sound like anything has changed. The Pirates are planning on offering a lot of money to Bell, if they haven’t already done so, and it still sounds like college is comfortably ahead of signing at this moment.

2) At this point, I would be very surprised if Sam Stafford does not return to Texas.

3) This entire Blake Swihart process is a bit odd. I continue to be surprised that Boston scouts remain unconfident that the No. 26 overall pick, a switch-hitting catcher from New Mexico, gets signed. Frankly, it’s “mind bottling.” What might be overlooked the most is that Swihart would be a draft-eligible sophomore. Like I’ve pointed out before, Swihart spent an unusually high amount of time in Austin around the program for a slam dunk first rounder from New Mexico. Also, he tweeted this tonight:

“Leave Wednesday to head out to Austin!! placement test Thursday, orientation Friday, got a laptop today! #pumped”

With all that being said, I still think the odds are strongly in favor of him signing. But for a while now Texas has felt like this is very close to 50/50. All hope is not lost for the Horns for Swihart. My percentage of 65/35 in favor of him signing hasn't changed.

4) Dillon Peters has been dealing all summer. He’s got a price tag that is way, WAY over-slot, but he could have something to think about if the Indians match it. (McComas)
This post was edited on 8/13 4:08 PM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 8/14 9:47 AM by Ketchum

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News