Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Brought to you by ...

1125635.jpg

Let's talk about the young guys making an impression in bowl practices before players were excused for their Christmas break (Dec. 21 and 22) before flying out to San Diego on Dec. 23.

CEDRIC REED - This kid totally gets it, and the coaches are excited about being able to layer playmakers so that there is a succession of studs at the DE position. From Tim Crowder and Brian Robison to Orakpo to Kindle to Okafor and Jeffcoat to Reed. Coaches are impressed with his work ethic and determination.

MYKKELE THOMPSON - The coaches trust him. He doesn't make the same mistakes twice. And considering the depth at safety is going to be an issue next season, Thompson is emerging as a guy who will back up Kenny Vaccaro and Adrian Phillips. Strong practices so far and a quiet playmaker on special teams.

SEDRICK FLOWERS - There is a very good chance he is the starting left guard next season. The coaches wanted Flowers to play this season so he'd have experience to possibly take over for a guy like David Snow. Even without on-field experience, coaches are confident Flowers will be in the mix for a starting job.

DESMOND JACKSON - Kheeston Randall told me all I needed to know about Jackson. "He's going to be the next big thing at DT," Randall said. "He works so hard and wants it so bad. I can't wait to watch him just grow and grow." (BROWN)

Some other nuggets:

The coaches are truly making the QB situation a competition. They purposely didn't put out a depth chart for this game because they want the competition to be as intense as possible at positions like tight end and receiver.

Running backs are looking good. Knock on wood.

The coaches think the guys who need the bowl practices the most are the offensive line. The big boys need all the work they can get together, especially with the running game expected to be such a big part of the game plan against Cal.

On another note, the Big 12 is still waiting to see if Notre Dame decides to pull its non-football sports out of the Big East and possibly move them into the Big 12. That decision could come as early as January. Some believe ND could move them into the ACC. But I keep hearing the Big 12 stands the best chance of getting the Irish's non-football sports. (BROWN)

Ten More Things I’ve heard about bowl workouts…

1. Talked to probably a half-dozen people in and around the program this week about what has been occurring at the bowl workouts in the last two weeks. The vibe I’ve received is that this is a team that’s pretty excited about the upcoming game. In previous years this program has played in sub-BCS games, motivation has been a question mark, but to a man that doesn’t appear to be the case with this game. Part of that motivation stems from the energy and excitement the coaching staff has displayed throughout since the start of bowl workouts. Behind the scenes there’s been a lot of expressed excitement about what has been accomplished this season, and not just in the wins department. This is a program that has been truly cleansed in the last 12 months.

2. Most of those that I’ve spoken with haven’t intimated that much has changed on the quarterback front. Both players have received a lot of reps in the bowl workouts and I haven’t been told that anyone has been boat-raced in the last two weeks. No light switches have come on from what I’ve ascertained.

3. That being said, there’s a lot of optimism over David Ash. If the light switch hasn’t flipped on, there’s a feeling that it soon will. “We can all see the progress that he’s making and now it only needs to translate to the games,” one source said. “You can see that he’s thinking less and just playing football. I think everyone in the locker room believes in him.” Heard something similar from another source that has connections to the defensive side of the ball.

4. Joe Bergeron looks like Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown doesn’t look like Malcolm Brown yet and might not until 2012.

5. Jaxon Shipley is getting closer and closer to 100%. He’ll be the X-factor for the offense next week.

6. There’s a lot of excitement about Josh Cochran and Sedrick Flowers. “Those two might end up being our best two linemen next year,” another source said. “Those two want it.”

7. You might look for a few more game snaps for Desmond Jackson at defensive tackle because he’s had a very good month.

8. I get the feeling that most expect the Longhorns to not have any underclassmen declare for the NFL Draft.

9. Mykkele Thompson is a player that the coaches can’t wait to get on the field more in 2012. Everyone is talking about him.

10. Everyone I’ve talked with tells me that Manny Diaz is all-in with this team. “The future is almost now and Manny is jumping at the bit for next season,” one source told me. (Ketch)

Three quickie recruiting updates to get you started…

1. The recruitment of DGB is getting interesting, but the consensus from those I speak with on the matter is that Arkansas is still the favorite in this race and there are some that believe he’s simply not going to stray very far from home when push comes to shove. For whatever is being said at the moment, we’ve haven’t reached the pushing and shoving stage of his recruitment. The Longhorns have been an underrated, quiet underdog in this recruitment for a while, but Darrell Wyatt has been masterful in his pursuit of DGB up until this point and if the state of Texas were one state closer to Missouri that it will remain without some annexation, this might not even be a discussion. The family loves the school, the atmosphere and the coaches, but Arkansas has been in the pole position for a while. Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of his recruitment will occur in the next couple of weeks when he returns to Texas for the Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio. There’s a sense that we’ll really start to learn his leaning when we get into that week and the curtain gets pulled back a little. DGB will be on the West squad, along with UT commits Tim Cole, Nick Jordan, Hassan Ridgeway and Kendall Sanders. The Hawgs won’t have anyone on the West squad and I don’t think they have a single commitment in the game. While you’d like to have a few other high-profile commitments in town to help continue the recruitment of DGB, there’s no question that this week plays into Texas’ favor. On the other hand, Oklahoma does have a couple of commitments on the West, including wide receiver Derrick Woods. Stay tuned.

2. Texas has some serious momentum going with Mario Edwards and there are some that feel like a seismic shift has taken place in his recruitment that favors the Longhorns. Of course, while Texas has a convenient edge with the location of the Army game, Florida State might get the same type of advantage with him heading to Florida for a week with his participation if the Under Armour All-American game. On top of that, Edwards is still scheduled to take his official visit to Florida State later in the month of January. If you asked me to bet money today, I might put it on the Longhorns because I really believe he connected with the members of the Longhorn recruiting class on his visit, but there’s a long way to go before this one is final.

3. I haven’t heard a lot of optimism that Torshiro Davis is going to happen. No one has told me that it’s impossible, but no one has told me that they think Texas is going to finish first, either. (Ketch)

Caught up briefly with 2012 five-star Devonta Pollard’s travel coach Jeff Andrews to check in on the latest with Pollard. I got some news that UT fans will like.

Andrews indicated to me tonight that Pollard has decided to, and is in the process of setting up a visit to Texas. As for the details and the date, Andrews indicated that he was unsure about those. However, what he was sure about is that Pollard will be taking a visit to Texas at some point in the next month. If you want to read more into it, I asked Andrews if this is the only visit he has planned right now to which he replied, “yes.” However, Pollard, who is from Porterville, Mississippi, has visited Alabama unofficially of late.

Also, members of the UT coaching staff went to check in on Pollard recently. The mutual interest between the 6-7, five-star stud forward and the Longhorns remains at a very high level. Once I get the date of Pollard’s visit, I’ll pass it along, but Texas fans should plan on Pollard being on the UT campus soon. (McComas)

Texas does not venture into the junior college ranks often but with some holes to fill in the 2012 recruiting class and a new staff with new connections Texas decided to take a dip and came out with a couple of big fish in Northwest Mississippi C.C. offensive tackle Brandon Moore.

We were able to catch up with Hawkins and following his signing he was elated to finally officially be a Texas Longhorn.

“It’s an unbelievable feeling. I feel so great right now,” Hawkins said. “I just can’t wait to get to Austin and begin working.”

He will arrive in Austin on January 15 and the thing he is looking forward to the most is getting right to work.

“To be honest I’m just ready to learn,” he said. “I’m eager for coach Searels to teach me. I’m just ready to learn new techniques. I want to be successful. I want to do everything I possibly can and for coach Searels to teach me anything he possibly can. I just want to be the best. I just want to play ball.”

Hawkins arrives in Austin with high expectations. After starting two years at left tackle for Northwest Mississippi C.C., he plans to start for a third year in a row.

“Coach Brown has promised me I can go in there and start from day one,” Hawkins said. “They are excited for the No. 1 recruiting class in the country they have coming in. I will be around a lot of talent next year, and our expectation is a National Championship next year, and if not next year than for sure the year after that.”

Early in the recruiting process Hawkins committed to Oklahoma St., but he decided to re-open things and when he did Texas was a school of interest. It did not take him long to realize Texas was the place for him. Once he landed in Austin for his official visit, he knew he would be a Longhorn.

“Like I tell everyone the city of Austin sold itself. That’s what sold me,” he said. “One thing I was looking for in recruiting was whatever school I went to I wanted to stay after college in that town. Austin is the perfect fit. There are opportunities in Austin. It’s a win-win I think.”

The journey from Tunica (Miss.) Rosa Fort High School to Northwest Mississippi C.C. then to Texas has been an interesting journey. Tunica is considered more of a basketball town, but in high school Hawkins was drawn to the football field. He was hard to miss along the line and colleges began to show interest once he made the rounds. However, his grades were not where they needed to be. He was planning to sign with Mississippi St. out of school but the test scores were not there. He would not be stopped from achieving his goal of playing Division I football though and he had a plan on and off the field.

“I was like I’m not going to go Division II if so I would have went out of high school. I was determined to get into Division I,” Hawkins said. “It was hard work on and off the football field. The college I went to it’s pretty rare but guys can come in and do a year and a half and get their grades and leave mid-year. That’s a big accomplishment. That’s why my coaches are so proud of me because most kids that come through that college aren’t able to do that. They have to spend two years. The year of 2011 has been a big year for me on and off the field. I’m just happy.”

I have a feeling Hawkins is not the only one happy he will be arriving in Austin very soon. (Howell)

The offers continue to roll in for 2013 Dallas Kimball defensive tackle Justin Manning. He already has a strong offer list and just added Miami and Kansas St. LSU and Oklahoma have been two schools talked about at the top of his list by people close to his recruitment, but it sounds like the Longhorns are making a strong push.

Both wide receiver coach Darrell Wyatt and defensive tackle coach Bo Davis stopped by Kimball and talked with him for about an hour. They also let him know he had an invitation to junior day.

After being informed of his latest two offers, Manning told a teammate that’s nice but you know where my heart is…UT. I’d say that’s probably a good sign that the Longhorns are making up some serious ground on the big guy. Manning is the brother of former Kimball standout and Oklahoma Sooner DeMarcus Granger. He is currently ranked No. 5 in the Lone Star Recruiting’s 2013 Top 100. (Howell)

Speaking of the Texas junior day and new offers Sealy 2013 ATH Ricky Seals-Jones said he has picked up an offer from Notre Dame. He also said he plans to attend the Texas junior day.

Celina 2013 lineman Jake Raulerson said without a doubt he would attend if he was invited to the Texas junior day. (Howell)

It has been a wild few weeks on the recruiting front all around the Big 12 so we caught up with our friends across the Rivals.com network to get a feel for how things are stacking up.

Baylor Bears

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 4 or 5

Early Enrollees: 3; Joey Searcy - DT - Navarro J.C.

Latest Commitment: Eddie Lackey - LB - Riverside C.C. (signed) - December 7, 2011

Key Targets:
Aaron Curry - DT - Keller Fossil Ridge
Javonte Magee - DL - San Antonio Sam Houston
Polo Manukainiu - DE - Euless Trinity
Brian Nance - LB - Euless Trinity

Key Position needs filled: OL, DB

Key Position needs yet to be filled: DL

Offensive Headliner: Corey Coleman - WR - Richardson Pearce

Defensive Headliner: Dominique Banks - DE - Denton Ryan

Most Underrated: Lynx Hawthorne - WR - Refugio

Next in line for an offer: Bo Wallace - QB - East Mississippi C.C.

Next commitment: Javonte Magee - DL - San Antonio Sam Houston

Oklahoma Sooners

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 7-10

Early Enrollees: 6; Jordan Wade - DT - Round Rock Stony Point (2011)

Latest Commitment: Kasseim Everett - CB - Pierce C.C. (Signed) - December 21, 2011

Key Targets:

Stefon Diggs - WR - Olney (Md.) Our Lady of Good Counsel
Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Springfield (Mo.) Hillcrest
Marion Grice - RB - Blinn C.C.
Taylor McNamara - TE - San Diego (Calif.) Westview

Key Positions needs filled: QB, CB

Key Position needs yet to be filled: DT, LB, S, WR

Offensive Headliner: Durron Neal - WR - St. Louis (Mo.) DeSmet

Defensive Headliner: DeVante Harris - CB - Mesquite Horn

Most Underrated: Kevin Peterson - CB - Wagoner, Okla.

Next in line for an offer: Javonte Magee - DL - San Antonio Sam Houston

Next commit: Taylor McNamara - TE - San Diego (CA) Westview

Oklahoma St. Cowboys

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 3-6

Early Enrollees: 4; Jeremiah Tshimanga - LB - North Richland Hills Richland

Latest Commitment: [URL=http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Trace-Clark-112210]Trace Clark
- DE - Wichita (Kan.) Collegiate

Key Targets:

Germain Ifedi - OL - Houston Westside
Trey Keenan - OL - Argyle
LaDarrell McNeil - S - Dallas Wilmer-Hutchins
Barry Sanders - RB - Oklahoma City (Okla.) Heritage Hall
Michael Wilson - OL - Aledo

Key Positions needs filled: DE, QB

Key Position needs yet to be filled: OL

Offensive Headliner: Wes Lunt - QB - Rochester, Ill.

Defensive Headliner: Trace Clark - DE - Wichita (Kan.) Collegiate

Most Underrated: Zac Veatch - TE - Broken Arrow, Okla.

Next in line for an offer: an offensive lineman yet to be named

Next commitment: Barry Sanders - RB - Oklahoma City (Okla.) Heritage Hall

TCU Horned Frogs

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 3

Early Enrollees: 4; Kolby Listenbee, ATH, Arlington Bowie

Latest Commitment: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OL, Haltom - December, 18, 2011

Key Targets:

Devin Fuller - ATH - Old Tappan, N.J.
Jordan Moore - S - Lithonia (Ga.) Martin Luther King
Otha Peters - LB - Covington, La.
La’Darius Newbold - CB - Lancaster
Dalton Santos - LB - Van
Daniel Brooks - ATH - Port Lavaca-Calhoun

Key Positions needs filled: OL, DE

Key Position needs yet to be filled: LB, S, CB

Offensive Headliner: Tyler Matthews - QB - McPherson, Kan.

Defensive Headliner: Devonte Fields - DE - Arlington Martin

Most Underrated: Austin Aune - QB - Argyle

Next in line for an offer: Zach Jackson - S - Snellville (Ga.) Brookwood

Next commitment: La’Darius Newbold - CB - Lancaster

Texas A&M Aggies

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 3

Early Enrollees: 4; Derel Walker - WR - Trinity Valley C.C.

Latest Commitment: Derel Walker - WR - Trinity Valley C.C. - December 22, 2011 (signed)

Key Targets:

unknown

Key Positions needs filled: QB. RB. CB

Key Position needs yet to be filled: DT, LB

Offensive Headliner: Trey Williams - RB - Spring DeKaney

Defensive Headliner: Jordan Richmond - LB - Denton Ryan

Most Underrated: Kimo Tipoti - OL - Hurst L.D. Bell

Next in line for an offer: unknown with the coaching change

Next commitment: unknown with the coaching change

Texas Tech Red Raiders

Number of Commitments:

Scholarships left: 3-5

Early Enrollees: 9; Austin Stewart - S - Pierce C.C.

Latest Commitment: Chris Payne - LB - Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.

Key Targets:
Damien Williams - RB - Arizona Western C.C.
Russell Hansbrough - RB - Arlington Bowie
Marion Grice - RB - Blinn C.C.
Bruce Jones - CB - Riverside C.C.

Positions needs filled: WR

Position needs yet to be filled: OL, CB

Offensive Headliner: Javon Bell - WR - Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.

Defensive Headliner: La’Darius Newbold - CB - Lancaster

Most Underrated: Javon Bell - WR - Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.

Next in line for an offer: a high school or junior college offensive lineman yet to be named

Next commitment: Bruce Jones - CB - Riverside C.C. (Howell)[/URL]

This post was edited on 12/23 5:55 AM by ChipBrown
This post was edited on 1/6 12:04 AM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News