ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (December 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
We’ll start this weekend’s War Room off with continued conversation about what’s going on behind the scenes on the coaching staff and where shake-up among the ranks is expected. There’s really not in any need to get cute, so let’s just navigate our way through each name on the coaching roster.

The roster of assistant coaches expected back next season include Major Applewhite, Bruce Chambers, Oscar Giles, Duane Akina and Will Muschamp, of course.

That leaves the foursome of Greg Davis, Bobby Kennedy, Mac McWhorter and Mile Tolleson as coaches that are in the group being talked about as possibly/likely departures.

As we reported yesterday, Davis will be replaced, but the dynamics of his exit are still being decided. There’s a position in the athletic department there for him if he wants it, but he has not yet decided if he’s going to take the position.

More sources than we can count have pointed to a retirement announcement by Tolleson. The coaching news has been very guarded, even for those in the program, but this piece of news has begun to make the rounds through every link and layer in the program. This seems to be the one move that even the players can see coming. When the announcement comes is anyone’s guess, but everyone seems prepared for his next step.

Another name that is expected to depart is McWhorter. Although his name was incorrectly linked to retirement rumors last year, multiple sources have confirmed that the 2010 season will be McWhorter’s lastas the Texas line coach, though the news hasn't reached the player-level as of yet like the news of Tolley. Our sources have told us that the decision to depart is entirely McWhorter's and that a position within the athletic department will be made available to him if he so desires.

As for Kennedy, the guy keeps grinding away for the Longhorns on the recruiting trail (confirmed on the road yesterday), but his name has been connected with other jobs as of late and a source with direct knowledge of the CU coaching search told me that Kennedy is on the very short list of desired assistants to build a foundation around for likely incoming head coach Jon Embree. According to my source, Embree presented Kennedy’s name to the CU athletic director Mike Bohn and their board of regents as a possible hire for his new coaching staff. It’s possible that Kennedy hasn’t even been in contact with Embree, but the talk is out there in Denver right now.

Overall, there are a lot of things going on all at once and it will likely take some time for all of the particulars to come together, but all of the conversation is pointing to a very dramatic change in the foundation of the program. Also, there is a vibe we’re getting that we might know the first official step in this wave of change by Monday at the latest.

It’s a holding pattern until then.

As far as where the coaching search takes the combination of Mack/Muschamp, the details are still unknown at this point, although money is not considered a huge hurdle. According to our sources, the execution of this wave of change is not going to be inexpensive. Also, several sources have mentioned that Applewhite will also receive serious consideration for the offensive coordinator position and at a minimum could be groomed as the eventual long-term replacement for Davis if the big move they make for an OC involves a guy like Muschamp, who was expected to be a rental when he was hired.

Also, the entire group of Texas assistants has been on the road recruiting at various times this week. Based on conversations with several Texas commitments, there has been little to no discussion on any potential staff changes. That could very well change next weekend when the Longhorns host the majority of their 2010 commitments on official visits.

Obviously, stay tuned. (STAFF)

While working the phones this week, we were able to come up with a couple team notes of interest.

Texas has been snake-bitten with injuries at the tight end position in recent years, but we’re hearing the position could be in line to get a boost beginning the spring. Former starter Blaine Irby, who was lost to a devastating knee injury early in the 2008 season, is expected to be back at practice in the spring, multiple sources have indicated.

Irby has reportedly looked “really good” in running routes and with his lateral movements and his hard work and patience have paid off, with the nerves in his repaired knee responding to treatments. Obviously, with the long layoff there are questions on how quickly Irby be able to round back to his old form, and he’ll have to deal with the psychological issues that come with contact at or near his knee, but everyone we’ve talked to has said Irby’s ready to go and expected to be a part of the offensive plan. People we talked to cited Irby’s determination and hard work as well as the tireless efforts of guys like head football trainer Kenny Boyd and strength and conditioning coach Jeff Madden as key ingredients in Irby’s return.

“He's a great kid and probably one of the few who could recover from such a devastating injury,” one person told us.

The plan is for Irby to apply for a medical hardship, which is expected to be granted, meaning he’ll have two years remaining in his Longhorn playing career.

Also, there’s been a lot of talk surround D.J. Monroe’s future in the program after he was used sparingly this fall. People we’ve talked to have said Monroe was frustrated with the lack of playing time, which is to be expected, but one person we spoke with this week that’s close to Monroe said Monroe has specifically indicated he has no plans of leaving the program. (Suchomel)

There are not a lot of uncommitted targets left on the Longhorns recruiting board but Jermauria Rasco is one. This week the Longhorn coaches hit the road and Oscar Giles made sure to stop through Shreveport for a look at the standout Evangel defensive end.

As we reported Tuesday Coach Giles alone stopped through Evangel and was at practice as Evangel prepared for their semifinal match-up with La Place (LA) St. Charles Catholic. He was able to talk with both Jermauria and his mother for a short period of time.

The Longhorns are in a good position and Rasco is planning to visit at some point in the future. I would not be surprised if Texas does get an official visit, but the Rasco’s were really, really impressed on their last visit to Texas where they were able to spend a lot of time one-on-one with coaches and getting to know the University and at this point they are planning an unofficial visit to Texas in the future.

Rasco has seen the pace pick up with coaches making contact and stopping through over the last few days. Thursday night he had his first in-home visit from Arkansas, Michigan stopped by the school Tuesday along with the Longhorns, and Georgia and Tennessee have been in touch.

Rasco’s focus at this time though is on his senior season and another Evangel championship. This week they are in the semifinals and next week they have the finals. Look for Texas to make an in-home visit on the Tuesday after the championship game with Muschamp in attendance.

Now where does he stand with favorites? Right now things are pretty quiet, and with schools making their push it’s getting harder for them to narrow things down. Tennessee really made a good impression and are a late entry to watch. Arkansas, Georgia, Florida St., LSU, and Alabama have also been mentioned. Alabama, Texas, LSU, and Florida St. have been mentioned the most and Florida St. has been listed as the leader a few different places. However, they’re not declaring a favorite right now, and he is planning to take visits in January.

With all of that said from what I’ve gathered Texas is still in a very good position. My gut feeling is Texas will be in this one to the end, and if I had to give the nod to someone I would give it to the Longhorns. (Howell)

A new name to pop up on the recruiting front with Texas is Brenham defensive end Brandon Alexander. The talented DE made his way to Austin for the Texas/Texas A&M game Thanksgiving night.

The trip went well, and Alexander was able to talk with Coach Giles and Coach Muschamp. Alexander and Texas have been in communication since, and Muschamp is planning to be in Brenham next week.

Right now Alexander does not have an offer but it sounds like there is a lot of interest. It looks like if something happens with the scholarship numbers Alexander is a guy Texas would make a run at.

It has been a busy few weeks with a lot of schools expressing interest or offering and Alexander is going to have his pick. He does have an official visit scheduled for Texas A&M next week, and it looks like the other visits are going to take place in January but where those visits will be have not been decided at this point.

Texas A&M has established a good rapport with Alexander, but when it comes to favorites there has not been a lot of talk. Alexander is not one to say much, and is keeping an open mind. In my opinion I give A&M the edge since they have been on him from the beginning and are getting him in on a visit. (Howell)

Here are a few notes I wanted to pass along

Now on the Tevin Jackson front there really is not a whole lot new happening, but it looks like there could be some kind of answer soon. The appeal has been filed and everyone is hoping to hear back soon. Jackson’s has been a unique circumstance. In fact Garland head coach Jeff Jordan said “I’ve been here 20-something years and I’ve never seen something like this.” Everyone is hoping to receive word around mid-December right now.

Next weekend there several of the commitments will take their official visits to Texas for Banquet Weekend. There are a few possible exceptions. Quincy Russell and Sam Houston have a basketball tournament that weekend and it’s still up in the air whether or not he will take his visit. He has talked to the Texas staff about it and a visit next weekend is still very much a possibility. Also look for those still in the playoffs to not be in attendance. (Howell)

I spoke with Klein Forest quarterback Matt Davis this week to get an update on his injured knee, and the dual-threat signal caller reported that he’s well ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation efforts.

Now three months removed from ACL surgery, Davis has already been cleared to run and he’s working to gradually regain his speed.

The 6-2, 198-pound Davis will be held out of contact drills when Klein Forest hits the field this spring, but he is hoping to participate on the school’s track team. On the recruiting front, he continues to hear from a number of schools, including the majority of the SEC and several Big 12 programs. The contact with Texas has been limited, but Davis continues to list the Longhorns as an option he’ll strongly consider.

“I’m still getting a lot of love, a lot of support from coaches. I’m greatly happy for that. I’m glad that they're still seeing some potential, still seeing the bright side,” Davis said. “A lot of coaches leave messages with my coaches and talk to them. I still get a lot of love from the Auburn coaches, LSU, a lot of SEC schools. I know Texas doesn't do a lot of recruiting for the junior class until they wrap up the senior class, so I haven’t heard too much from them.”

And his thoughts on UT?

“Of course, them being Texas, if you know anything about college football and respect college football, you’re always going to respect Texas. The first time I got a letter from them, I was like 'wow." Texas is probably the most known college football program in America,” Davis said. “It’s one of the most prestigious programs.

“They're definitely there. They want to see me establish myself as a passer, which was another reason I was upset (about the injury). A lot of colleges want to see that, including Texas. I completely understand. That's my goal to prove to everybody that I can throw the football, that I'm not a receiver or a DB. That's what I'm going to work for this summer when I go to the camps, try to prove everybody wrong.
This post was edited on 12/3 12:12 PM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 12/3 12:34 PM by Jason Howell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News