ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (May 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
You are not going to hear a lot about incoming freshman quarterback Kai Locksley before he steps foot on campus later this month.

That is by design.

Texas coach Charlie Strong informed Locksley several weeks ago to stop speaking with the media about the current quarterback situation on campus. Locksley was quoted in several publications when asked about the quarterback battle, and Strong decided it would be best for him to say nothing.

However, those who are close to Locksley said the quarterback is on a mission.

From what I have been hearing, Locksley is working out every day with the intent to compete for playing time as a freshman. His goal is to be in the mix this season, and I am told Locksley does believe he has a chance to play this season.

For those who may have missed it, Locksley previously tweeted about a recent accomplishment in the weight room.

Obviously, most incoming freshmen believe they are going to play right away, so Locksley is not an anomaly. It is probably a bigger story if he was taking it easy, gaining weight, and looking forward to determining if real chili has beans.

Nevertheless, it is good for Longhorn fans to know Locksley has every intent to compete against Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard this season. (Richardson)

Incoming freshman receiver Ryan Newsome has a limited amount of pass-catchers he can identify with.

Newsome is 5-foot-9 and 179 pounds, which is an improvement from his previous weight of 167 on signing day in February. When he watches big receivers, like Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones, he respects their ability, but cannot emulate their style. Newsome spends a lot of time studying receivers on his laptop, and Pittsburgh’s Antonio Brown is the NFL receiver he hopes to emulate.

Texas offensive coach Shawn Watson and Strong constantly said they needed a playmaker at receiver last season, and Newsome believes he can makes his coaches happy if given the opportunity.

“I feel like I can be that and more,” Newsome said. “I feel like I can be something Texas hasn’t had in a long time. Of course, I just want to be great. My aspirations are so high. I never let anybody tell me what my ceiling is. I never let anybody limit my ceiling, as far as me being 5-9. I can be one of those guys Texas hasn’t seen in a long time. I want to be that guy, and I’m going to be that guy. It’s just going to take a lot of work on my behalf and me staying focused.”

Newsome plans to hit campus later this month when incoming freshmen are required to report, and his goal is to make Longhorn fans remember another small Texas receiver he had an outstanding career in Texas.

“My dad brought up a guy named Eric Metcalf. I never really seen or heard of him, so I looked him up. He was explosive. He was that dude at Texas. I want to be that kind of guy, and I want to be more. I feel like I can be that guy. The same guy I was in high school. I just want to bring that excitement that Texas fans haven’t seen in a long time.” (Richardson)

Lots of recruiting updates to get to in this week's War Room, so let's jump right in ...

Let's call these next few updates the "possible flip" section, with three guys who are committed to other Big 12 schools stating that they're keeping a close eye on the Longhorns ...

Kountze cornerback Graylond Arnold has been committed to Baylor since November, but the Longhorns paid him a visit this week and Arnold thinks Texas could be close to officially offering. If that happens, it'll give him something to think about.

Key quote: "He (Tommie Robinson) was just saying he really liked what he saw. We didn't get to talk much because of the rules, but he talked to my coach. He said he was going to talk to the other coaches, and tell them 'We need to offer soon.' He wants me to stop by see the other coaches, meet coach Strong."

On if he'll be able to swing by the football offices this weekend while in town for the state track meet (Arnold will be participating in Class 3A the 100M dash): "Most likely I'll be able to go over and meet them."

An Open mind: Though he's committed to Baylor, Arnold said his "options are open." If Texas offers, he would "look into it, just see how it is.

"It's college, I want to make the right decision. I would consider it."

A UT connection: His sister, Gabrielle Mattox, played on the Texas women's basketball team for a couple years before transferring to Texas State.

Thoughts on Texas: "They have a good history. My sister went to Texas for basketball and I have a lot of family in Austin"

We'll catch up with Arnold this weekend to see if he does in fact make it over to meet the UT football coaches. (Suchomel)

Manvel OL Austin Myers committed to TCU in February, but the Longhorns offered a couple weeks ago and Myers has an interest.

Key quote: "I'll consider it. They win ball games."

No set plans: The UT coaches told Myers they want him to come to Austin for a visit sometime this summer. Myers doesn't have any college visits set up, but said he likely will hit a few schools so a stop at UT is a possibility.

Schools to watch: Myers, of course, is committed to TCU. Texas is in the mix. Other schools he listed as having grabbed his attention are UCLA, Michigan, OU and Nebraska.

Which teammate will win?: Myers' Manvel teammate D'Eriq King is also committed to TCU. Another of his teammates, Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, is committed to UT. Hemphill-Mapps is trying to bring Myers with him.

"He always (recruits me," Myers said. "It kind of does have an impact. He just says, 'You need to come to Texas with me,' stuff like that." (Suchomel)

We mentioned after the Rivals Camp in Dallas that we thought Texas was in a much better position with Port Arthur Memorial RB and current Baylor commitment Kameron Martin than people realized. Nothing has changed.

Texas stopped by to see Martin last week. Martin will be in Austin this weekend for the state track meet and is going to swing by the football offices to visit with the coaches.

Key quotes: "He (Tommie Robinson) just told me I have until February to make my mind up, but he knows I'll be a Longhorn at the end of the day."

"I told him, it will be either them (Texas) or Baylor."

No negative recruiting: Martin said when Texas talks to him, "they try to be respectful of Baylor. They say Baylor has a great coaching staff. I told him I'm committed to Baylor, but my eyes are open."

What will it take?: Martin, as he's said before, wants the Texas coaches to show him "a lot of love." He was frustrated that it took UT so long to offer, but the coaches explained recently that they made the decision to offer because Martin is a much better fit in the new offense compared to this time last year.

So how can the coaches show love? According to Martin, it's as simple as staying in touch, hitting him up on twitter, keeping the lines of communication open.

Bottom line: "I'm still locked in (to Baylor), but anything can happen. I'm a Baylor Bear, I respect coach Briles, his staff. But anything can happen. Texas was always my dream school. It will be a tight race at the end." (Suchomel)

North Mesquite OL Jean Delance is a former OU commitment. Now that he's open, the Longhorns are in the mix. Delance has a top 10 in his head and the smart money has Texas being in that group, even if he hasn't released his list publicly (he plans to do that this summer).

Key quotes: "I definitely have 10 in my head that I know for sure."

Busy schedule of visits: "I'm going to visit USC, A&M, Austin with Deandre McNeal. I'm probably going to go to Florida, Florida State, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma. I'm going to be everywhere."

Two UT allies: As mentioned above, Delance is friends with UT freshmen Deandre McNeal and Malik Jefferson. He said Jefferson and Charles Omenihu are the most active in recruiting him on the Longhorns' behalf (over twitter).

NFL Draft success paying off: Delance, when asked what stood out about Texas, mentioned the reputation Charlie Strong and staff have for sending players to the NFL. That and the opportunity to play right away, something that's being stressed by Joe Wickline.

"Coach Strong has the (NFL proof, before Texas," Delance said. "Coach Wickline, he needs guys to come in there with great potential, start early, get on the field and make an impact on the O-line as quickly as possible. He told me straight up, he's not recruiting any type of guys that he doesn't think can't come in and play early. He's not even looking for those guys."

"They have a whole bunch of guys in the NFL. Coach BJ (Brian Jean-Mary), he even let me know, have that faith in coach Strong, he'll get you to the next level. You'll have that opportunity. They have that proof. You'll have coaches tell you that, but they have that actual background if you put the work into it."

Others to watch: Texas A&M is still a big player in this one and the Aggies are recruiting Delance hard. Alabama has been by a couple times and Delance talked to Nick Saban last week. Ohio State is also showing a lot of interest. (Suchomel)

The Longhorns officially entered the race for 2017 WR Hezekiah Jones this week when they extended an offer on Wednesday.

Who is Jones? One of the hottest in-state prospects in the 2017 class, Jones is up to 14 offers and counting. Along with Texas, he's holding invitations from Baylor, Florida, Miami, Michigan, Ole Miss, TCU, A&M, Texas Tech and UCLA, among others. At 5-11 and 171 pounds, Jones has terrific speed to stretch the field and is very polished overall at a young age. He's a 2017 Rivals100 member.

How the offer happened: UT WR coach Jay Norvell watched Jones practice this week. After watching him, he offered that same day.

Key quotes: "It (Texas) was a childhood favorite. It's always been a favorite. This one is really important. It's really special to get an offer from them."

"Their tradition is a big thing. People say it's a great environment, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it for myself."

Another possible weekend visitor: Jones is another who will be competing in the state track meet this weekend and he said he's going to try to swing by the UT football coaches' offices to catch up.

Camp schedule: Jones has only two school camps on his schedule right now (Baylor, Texas A&M, but said he will "most likely" camp at Texas as well.

Family's opinion: I don't get the impression his family is pushing him anywhere, but Jones was pretty open that his parents do like what Texas has to offer.

"They really like Texas. My mom likes Texas. My dad likes Texas. He's actually a coach at Stafford. He likes Texas. My family all likes Texas, my little brother, uncle graduated from there." (Suchomel)

We ran an update on the nation’s No. 2-raned safety Brandon Jones earlier this week (click HERE if you missed it). Jones will take an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend.

One comment that I found particularly interesting was when Jones told me he talked to the UT coaches, including Charlie Strong, on a weekly basis. And during most of those calls, the coaches ask Jones to put his mother on the phone so they can also build up their relationship with her. That could pay off in a big way down the road, as Jones plans to lean heavily on his mom’s advice and that of his coaches.

“My mom, she's kind of pulling for me to stay in Texas somewhere,” Jones said. “She's always excited when some of the Texas schools want to talk to her directly. They usually call me, we'll talk and then it’s ‘Hey, can we talk to your mom?’”

Texas makes that a normal practice. How about the other schools chasing the Rivals100 member?

“Honestly, not too much. A&M does the same. LSU is pretty much that way sometimes. Auburn a little bit,” Jones said.

Early in the process, Jones was a pretty heavy lean to Texas A&M. The Aggies will still be major players in this one, but Jones said he is keeping an open mind. Texas was one of the last schools in the area to offer, but the coaches have done a great job since then of building up a relationship with the Nacogdoches standout, putting the Longhorns squarely in the mix.

“Texas was kind of late to offer out of some of the schools that I'm really interested in. But something about them offering - what's different is coach Strong, coach Vaughn talk to pretty much every week. They’re not just interested in the football aspect. They’re always asking about my family,” Jones said. “They talk to my mom as much as they talk to me. That plays a big role for me and my family. And in doing research of the defensive back (history) at Texas, you have to keep that in mind always.”

Jones will be making the trip with three friends. We’ll catch up with him after he’s finished with the visit to get a report. (Suchomel)

Surprisingly, Rivals100 LB Erick Fowler said he’s only seen “a couple” schools come visit him this spring. The good news is the Longhorns are one of those schools (along with LSU, Baylor and Cal).

Fowler, out of Manor, is another player with whom Charlie Strong is taking a hands-on approach.

“We're really just trying to build a good relationship. Sometimes we talk about football, sometimes just simple questions like how your day went so we can build that relationship,” Folwer said.

Strong is making an impact, but other head coaches are also involved.

“It’s kind of unique talking to the head coach. I talk to the Baylor head coach, coach Briles. LSU of course. TCU of course and Oklahoma sometimes,” Fowler said.

Fowler’s thoughts on Texas …

“I think Charlie Strong is doing a good job, bringing something to Texas they've never had before,” Fowler said. “Maybe not never had before, but tightening it up. He's doing a good job. I feel like that's something I could fit in with, because he's going to have me focused on and off the field.” (Suchomel)

A name to file away as a DB with UT interest … Innis Gaines.

Who is Gaines?: He’s an under-the-radar safety out of Beaumont West Brook with only one offer (McNeese State), but he has good size (6-2) and schools are starting to take notice this spring. Texas stopped by recently and schools like Purdue, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State and Baylor have been showing more interest of late.

“They like me because I'm a pretty tall safety, I cover very well, have good footwork, can jump and have great ball skills,” Gaines said. “I'm working on my man coverage more and tackling.”

Texas checks in: UT stopped by last week and in a follow-up conversation, Gaines was told that he made a good impression.

“They said I had a great practice, wonderful. He said I would offer you, but the way we do things at Texas, you have to come to school and meet Charlie Strong first,” Gaines said.

Another chance to impress: The Texas coaches gave Gaines some camp dates for June and Gaines said he’ll probably hit one.

Thoughts on Texas: “I’ve been loving Texas since I was little. If they were to offer, that would be a big thing for me.” (Suchomel)

A quick note on the way the Texas staff is handling recruiting: Charlie Strong may be slower to extend scholarship offers than other programs, but part of the reason the Texas staff takes its time is because of its interest in getting to know recruits on a more personal level. I was told the staff personally sent out Mother’s Day emails to the mom’s of all of the Longhorns’ prospects. (Gaspar)

The Texas coaching staff has been on the road visiting many top prospects in the 2016 recruiting class. Wide receivers coach Jay Norvell took his first trip out-of-state to check-in on four-star verbal commit Collin Johnson.

“I have enjoyed getting to know Coach Norvell. We are still building our relationship more and more and he’s definitely a great coach,” Johnson said. “He has a lot of energy and I really like that aspect of him. It rubs off on the players when coaches are intense and have a lot of energy.”

Norvell did not recruit Johnson while he was coaching at Oklahoma, and Johnson said it’s probably be best because he would not have been interested in talking to the Sooners.

“I wouldn’t dare talk to a coach at Oklahoma,” Johnson joked. “Oklahoma probably wouldn’t dare send me a letter either.”

As one of the first commitments in the 2016 class, Johnson has been actively trying to recruit players to go to Texas. One of the prospects he has recently talked to is four-star safety Brandon Jones, who is visiting Texas this weekend.

Johnson has spent his spring rehabbing a hip injury he suffered from a recent growth spurt. The injury has sidelined the 6-foot-5 wideout from attending any Rivals camps, but he said he is getting stronger every day.

“It has been disappointing to not be able to attend any recruiting camps this spring, but it’s out of my control,” Johnson said. “My main focus right now is on getting stronger every day and not allowing this injury to bring me down.”

Johnson is currently on track to graduate early and enroll at Texas immediately following his senior season. (Gaspar)

I caught up with 2016 four-star wide receiver Tre Nixon, who was recuperating from an unofficial visit to Auburn. The Rivals250 prospect has a lot of college choices on his plate and has spent the last several months visiting various programs.

With 40 offers to choose from, it’s important for Nixon to see how coaches interact with him when they meet face-to-face.

“What I am trying to do is take as many unofficially visits as I can right now. I talk to a lot of coaches on the phone, but haven’t had the chance to have face-to-face conversations with a lot of them, so it’s important for me to figure out who they are in person and how I can relate with the coaches.”

The Texas coaching staff has taken a significant interest in the talented prospect. Wide receivers coach Jay Norvell regularly speaks with Nixon, but the conversations have been a little more personal, in addition to how he can contribute for the Longhorns.

“The coaches have been working to just build a relationship with me. They have been checking in to tell how their spring is going and ask how my spring is going. We are in more of a building a relationship stage where we’re still trying to get to know one another,” Nixon said. “They feel I can be that big playmaker on offense, especially with my speed. They have told me they need those big playmakers who can stretch the field and feel I can fit that role.”

Nixon plans to visit Texas once he finishes up spring ball. He is expecting to narrow his list to 10 or 12 favorites towards the end of May, and as of this moment, the Longhorns will likely make the cut.

“As of right now, Texas is in the top list because of my relationship with Coach Norvell. I really like his intensity and I really like Coach Strong. I feel like Coach Strong was a big hire for Texas. Once I go out to visit, I think it will help out their chances even more.” (Gaspar)

Right now Texas fans care about one hoops recruit above the rest, and they’re waiting to hear his decision.

Tevin Mack visited Texas last weekend for an unofficial visit, a visit that ended up lasting an extra day because of the weather around the country. As we reported earlier in the week, a source indicated the visit went, “very well,” and another person indicated the feeling was that pretty much all of Mack’s questions were answered. (We connected briefly with Mack yesterday, who asked to text a few questions his way about the visit, and we’re awaiting response. As a prospect that’s now going through recruiting for the second time, I don’t blame him if he’s tired of recruiting guys asking him questions).

So now, we wait. But after talking to a one person with knowledge of the recruitment, there is a feeling that this thing could finally wrap up soon. How soon is obviously up to Mack. When we talked to the four-star scorer before his visit, he indicated he didn’t have a timetable for a commitment. Mack has yet to name one publicly. However, it sounds like behind the scenes this thing is winding down. (Note: after I e-mailed this, Mack told another Rivals.com reporter he could announce Tuesday).

Where does Texas stand?

The Longhorns lead, and helped themselves with the visit. How much do they lead by? A source indicated to me that the feeling was something like 70-30 in favor of Texas over Georgia. Mack has really kept to himself, and this will truly be his decision. Credit the Texas staff for doing everything it can to try to win him over again, which included getting Mack to make it to Texas on his own dime. That’s obviously not easy. (McComas)

As Shaka Smart gets settled into Austin, he has to be itching for the summer to hurry up and get here. That’s when he’ll start to get more time with his actual team together, and will get a better feeling for what it is that he has. Right now, Smart has an idea, but won’t have a concrete one until those summer workout sessions take place.

“We had six teams at VCU and some of them looked very different from each other… will this team look like those (recent) teams? Well, we didn’t have 6-11, 7-0 guys like we do here. It’ll look a little different. The way we play to be honest, we’re still figuring that out. I’d be dishonest if I told you I know exactly how we’re going to play this next year. I have an idea – pretty good idea of what I think we can do on defense, but have to get the guys on the floor and see how well they’re able to do those things. Then on offense, we’ll have a unique team in that we have some size, we have some guys that can score around the basket, we also with Isaiah and Demarcus and Javan and Kendal, we have some experience in the backcourt. Some guys that can get going and playing fast as well.”

Obviously, Smart probably has a pretty good report on what he has at the guard spot. But recent VCU teams haven’t had the size and depth in the frontcourt like his first Texas team will have. And he still needs to see them all on the floor at length before he truly knows what he has, and how to construct the team.

“We’ll see,” he responded when asked how all his big men will fit in. “First thing we have to do is get those guys in the unbelievable shape. I think some of those guys can really block shots. That’s a key component of pressing. My first year at VCU we had a kid named Larry Sanders, who was 6-11 with a 7-6 wingspan. And sometimes the best situation we could find ourselves in is the other team having a 2-on-1 and being the one. I could see Prince (Ibeh) (note: Ibeh and Connor Lammert haven’t been able to work out yet after receiving injections in their knee) having a similar effect, again if we can get him to play with the activity and the motor we want him to. That’s to be determined. We just need to figure out as a staff how best to utilize who we have on our team.”

Of course, Smart was asked about “havoc” and the copyright and style and all that. And although people can fight over who has that right to put on shirts and that nonsense, the components of the idea will make its way to Texas.

“Havoc’s not a copyright. It’s not a brand. It’s a way of playing. At VCU, it became a way of life for how we did things. What makes things like that come alive are the people that execute a vision and primarily when I say the people, the student-athletes,” the Texas head coach said. “Will we play that way? We will have some things that we do that will be that way. Again, I don’t think we’ll look exactly like we did last year at VCU. But to be general I’ll say we’ll be a more… I would say our team will grow in our enthusiasm from where we are right now. We will be an aggressive team. We will have certain characteristics about us that I think our teams in the past at VCU have had. But I can’t tell you exactly how that will translate to what we do on the court.” (McComas)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: texashero
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News