ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room: UT's transition class paying off; Marcus Washington, Zach Evans updates; hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
proxy.php
Texas Card House is the official sponsor of The War Room.
  • Texas Card House, Texas' Premier Poker Club, your home for poker tournaments and cash games 7 days a week in Austin. Check them out in North Austin at 183 and Anderson Mill and on the web at texascardhouse.com
  • Texas Card House, Home of the $100k Guarantee and YOUR home for poker tournaments and cash games 7 days a week in Austin. Check them out in North Austin at 183 and Anderson Mill and on the web at texascardhouse.com
*** Texas Card House is now open at noon every day!

(From Anwar)

Needless to say, there is a lot of excitement behind closed doors about the current Texas football season.

I spoke to multiple people associated with the program this week, and each person is feeling great after Texas’ recent victory against Oklahoma. From a staff perspective, everything it tried to implement from day one is starting to pay off. Nobody is convinced this team is a finished product, but the success has made it easier to continue preaching their message, especially the 1-0 mantra that echoes throughout Moncrief. From a player's perspective, there finally is a payoff for previously buying in and trusting the staff. All the hard work is finally taking hold.

I spoke to multiple players on Tuesday during our media availability, and seniors like defensive end Charles Omenihu remembered playing on two teams that finished 5-7. In fact, 15 of 21 current Texas starters have played on at least one five-win team during their tenure in Austin. Now, Texas is 5-1, and one win away from becoming bowl eligible.

As I spoke to different people within the program this week, one person made a very interesting observation.

One of the conversations within the building this week was about the success of Texas’ 2017 signing class. The person I spoke to reminded me of some of the criticisms that were made of that class nearly two years ago. That class was ranked 31st, according to Rivals, and viewed as one of the worst group of recruits in Texas history, especially after back-to-back top 10 seasons under the previous coach.

Here is the portion of one article from a website that covers Texas about Herman’s first class:

“If you won’t judge a book by it’s cover, don’t judge Tom Herman by the historically underwhelming 2017 recruiting class for the Texas Longhorns.

“Skim through the pages and you’ll see a story that was essentially forced into publication within a matter of three months since Herman’s arrival from Houston, in which a significant portion of potential additions had written the Longhorns off following the combination of a season devoid of on-field success and the subsequent departure of Charlie Strong.

“As is often the case, coaching changes are typically followed by reduced recruiting hauls — both in terms of quality and quantity — and Texas isn’t any exception.”

Then there was this fun fact:

Here is something from the San Antonio Express-News:

“After three consecutive losing seasons under Charlie Strong, UT did not exactly have a lot of on-field momentum heading into Herman’s tenure. Although Strong’s staff was able to bounce back from subpar results to assemble top 10 classes each of the past two years, Herman has not been able to create that kind of recruiting wave yet.

“As of Tuesday afternoon, UT’s current class was ranked 35th in the country by Rivals, 32nd by ESPN, 31st by Scout and 25th by 247Sports. With several targets still in play, those rankings could rise Wednesday, but perhaps not enough to lift the Longhorns past what had been one of their most modest all-time hauls.

“Rivals and Scout have databases that date back to 2001, and neither service has rated a UT class lower than 24th nationally. Scout issued the Longhorns that ranking in 2013, which turned out to be Mack Brown’s final season as head coach. That February, UT also earned its worst rankings from Rivals (23rd), ESPN (16th) and 247 Sports (17th).”

Here is the most important sentence of that story:

“Even so, Herman’s first UT class has a chance to pay dividends.”

In fact, the payoff has occurred faster than some Longhorn observers anticipated in 2017.

If you objectively look at Herman’s transition class, he signed a potential four-year starter at quarterback, a future NFL offensive lineman, and multiple defensive contributors in 2017.

Let us examine that class.

2017 Texas Signing Class

MarqezBimage LB Brenham, Texas (Brenham)
Comment: He has appeared in 18 games. He was credited for a huge forced fumble against TCU, and is trending to receive more playing time in future seasons.

Kobe Boyce DB Corinth, Texas (Lake Dallas)
Comment: Started in a win against Tulsa this season. He has played on special teams this season.

Cade Brewer TE Austin, Texas (Lake Travis)
Comment: Has played in 16 games with three starts. He caught two touchdown passes as a freshman.

Toneil Carter RB Houston, Texas (Langham Creek)
Comment: Played in nine games (two starts) as a freshman. Averaged 4.8 yards per carry and scored three touchdown last season. Buried on the depth chart this year.

Jamari Chisholm DL Valdosta, Ga. (Northeastern Oklahoma A&M/Valdosta)
Comment: Played in 10 games last season. His playing time has diminished this season.

Samuel Cosmi OL Humble, Texas (Atascocita)
Comment: He has emerged into a starting right tackle this season. Cosmi is a future NFL draft pick.

Max Cummins DE Fort Worth, Texas (All-Saints Episcopal)
Comment: Redshirted last season and sustained a season-ending injury prior to this season.

Sam Ehlinger QB Austin, Texas (Westlake)
Comment: Has emerged into one of the best quarterbacks in the Big 12. He could be a four-year starter.

Montrell Estell DB Hooks, Texas (Hooks)
Comment: Redshirt freshman has been a contributor on special teams this season.

Ta'Quon Graham DE Temple, Texas (Temple)
Comment: He has played in 18 career games with one start. Graham has a great chance to start next season.

Gary Johnson LB Douglas, Ala. (Dodge City CC/Douglas)
Comment: Has played in 19 career games with 13 starts. Johnson is currently the defensive anchor of this team. He has 35 tackles in six games this season.

Derek Kerstetter OL San Antonio, Texas (Reagan)
Comment: Started in 10 games as a freshman right tackle, and three games at right guard this season. Kerstetter will likely start at right tackle or guard next season when Cosmi moves over to left tackle.

Reese Leitao TEJenks, Okla. (Jenks)
Comment: The redshirt freshman is getting his feet wet this year. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck recently said great things about Leitao. He will likely receive more playing time after Andrew Beck graduates.

Damion Miller WR Tyler, Texas (John Tyler)
Comment: Was unable to qualify academically and went to a JuCo.

Jordan Pouncey WR Winter Park, Fla. (Winter Park)
Comment: Has played in two games on special teams this season.
Joshua Rowland K Madison, Miss. (Mississippi Gulf Coast CC/Madison Central)
Comment: Made 11-of-18 field goals last season and was replaced this year.

Josh Thompson DB Nacogdoches, Texas (Nacogdoches)
Comment: He has played in 15 games with one start in two seasons. Started as a defensive back against Tulsa and nickel back against USC this year. Todd Orlando recently said Thompson is the fastest player on his defense.

Daniel Young RB Houston, Texas (Westfield)
Comment: He has five starts in 19 games played. Has rushed for 505 yards and three touchdowns in two seasons.

Of course, Texas finished with a fourth-ranked class last season, according to Rivals. The 2019 class is currently ranked ninth, and Texas could finish higher by the time signing day rolls around.

Just know many people in the building are very pleased with Texas’ previous signing day success.

This is a very minor note, but one Texas fans might find interesting.

Former Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis has been an occasional sounding board for Herman, from what I have been told. Davis attended a practice in person and gave a little bit of input prior to Texas facing Oklahoma.

Now, before you run wild with conspiracy theories, let me water down this drink.

Davis is not heavily involved with the offensive game plan. His practice trip was planned during the summer, and it was not related to Tim Beck’s hospital stay, according to a person close to Herman. Davis attended a practice during training camp, too.

From what I have been able to gather, Davis provides Herman with a veteran set of eyes for big picture questions whenever needed. The staff still leans on each other to develop a game plan. In fact, Davis offers the same input to Houston coach Major Applewhite whenever requested.

That being said, it is cool to know Herman can lean on Davis, an offensive veteran, for input if he desires.

(From Suchomel)

Wide receiver Marcus Washington hardly ever talks. When I say that, I mean he rarely does interviews. Very rarely.

I had a bit of good fortune this week in getting Washington to call me back to preview his upcoming decision, which is set for October 26.

The St. Louis Trinity Catholic product told me he’s down to Missouri, Ohio State, Texas and Nebraska. He’s taken official visits to all three out-of-state schools, but said he’s been to Missouri enough times that he didn’t feel an official visit was necessary to come to a final decision.

Washington didn’t tip his hand on which way he’s leaning, but he did offer up his thoughts on his four favorites.

Missouri – “Missouri is a hometown school. They definitely spread the ball around. Going to Mizzou, I’m a big family person, so going there I know all my family would be able to get there easily. Also I have a really good relationship with the coaches. When I go there, they treat me like family. I like Missouri a lot.”

Ohio State – “It’s always been like a dream school growing up. Ever since I got that offer, I always took them seriously. They got serious about me. They send a lot of players to the league.”

Texas – “In June, I wasn’t able to get there (for a visit). Some things happened. The coaches always wanted me, had to get me down there. My teammate Mookie Cooper went down there and when he told me how it was, I went to Texas. I’ve built relationships there. Texas, they treated me like family. Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson, I can see myself playing in that role. I get along with the coaches really well, Drew Mehringer, Bryan Carrington, Tom Herman. That’s who I talk to the most.”

Nebraska – “With Nebraska, as soon as I got the offer from Nebraska, I was talking to the coaches back when coach Mike Riley was there. The coaching changed happened, I fell off, but as soon as Scott Frost got the job, they were frequently hitting me up, talking about how they like me, how I could be used in their offense. They throw the ball a lot. Stanley Morgan, I could fit in that role. I just have a good relationship with coach Frost, coach Walters. I have a good relationship with them as well.”

Washington did tell me he has his mind made up. He said it just hit him a couple weeks ago, at which point he announced he was ready to make his decision.

“Just waking up, I was kind of balancing out all the pros and cons, doing it for like a week,” Washington said. “I just woke up ready to make a decision, it just felt right. I’ve just stuck with that school.”

When he does announce in a couple weeks, Washington said he plans to shut down the recruiting process, and he’ll do whatever he can to help the program he chooses.

“All the recruitment, when I commit, it’s going to be a big decision. Once I commit, I’m not talking to any other schools. It’s going to be 110 percent,” Washington said. “That’s where I’ll be going.

“I just feel like I bring what they need. Wherever the school puts me, in that role, I’m going to play that role to the best of my ability. If they put me on special teams, I’m going to go hard. If they put me at outside receiver, I’m going to do that to the best of my ability.”

The timing of this announcement does seem to favor Texas. The Longhorns were Washington’s most recent visit (he was in the weekend of the USC game) and people who spent time with him that weekend feel like Texas emerged as the team to beat. Missouri figures to be UT’s biggest competition but in talking to a Missouri source this week, there’s not much confidence on that side and there’s a feeling in Columbia that this one is leaning UT’s way. If Texas does win out for the Rivals250 member, there will be plenty of credit to go around, but Carrington deserves a tip of the cap for building a strong relationship over several months.

“Coach Carrington just relates to the players really well,” Washington said. “He’s just kept it real with me the whole time, telling me what it is and isn’t. Coach Drew (Mehringer), he showed me specifically how they’d use me in the offense. They’ve kept it straight up, told me it’s not guaranteed at this level. Any coach telling you it is, is lying. They’ve said ‘We want you, but anything you get, you have to earn it.’”

Honesty. What a refreshingly different approach from recruiters, and it just might pay dividends in a couple weeks.

There’s been a lot of misinformation floated about 2020 five-star running back Zachary Evans of late … that he’s close to a decision, that he’s going to commit to Texas A&M, that he’s going to visit Ohio State.

I caught up with Evans’ brother this week to get the latest. As has been the case way too frequently in this one, it sounds like things are getting blown way out of proportion.

Evans did take an unofficial to College Station last week to watch Texas A&M host Kentucky. The Aggies have done a good job in this one going back to the summer and should be considered a major factor. That’s no secret.

Texas has been a school at or near the top of Evans’ list for the better part of the last year, and Evans’ brother said nothing has changed. The Longhorns are still very much in the mix, there’s plenty of time for this to sort itself out, and Evans and his brother will be in Austin on Saturday to watch the Horns take on Baylor.

I mentioned on the board this week that it’s probably too early to list any sort of definitive favorites for the North Shore standout. In communicating with Evans’ brother, CJ Robinson, it sounds like this race is a long way from the finish line, but Texas is still in good standing.

“They’re in his top,” Robinson said.

It’s important to remember that Evans hasn’t even really trimmed his list to a reasonable amount of teams yet. When he does, Texas will still be standing, and schools like A&M, Georgia and Alabama will probably also be factors. If you’re looking for quick answers in this one, my advice is to let this recruitment run its course.

“They’re going to be waiting until 2020,” Robinson said of anyone looking for some sort of early answers.

Evans is planning to play in the Under Armour All-America game in January of 2020. His plan is to possibly announce his decision at that game, or possibly even take things all the way to signing day.

The Texas staff has done a good job here and Evans has been on the UT campus numerous times. He’ll be back again and the Longhorns are still in a very good standing with this one. At this early stage, that’s about as best as you can ask.

Texas OL commitment Javonne Shepherd has been pretty quiet since taking a Monday unofficial visit to Texas A&M.

For those who have followed this recruitment, Shepherd taking a visit isn’t a big surprise. He’s done it before and has been pretty open that he plans to take his official visits.

I did check around to see what the vibe is on the A&M side after this week’s visit, and it’s pretty much the same thing we’ve heard for a while … A&M feels it was a good visit and it made an impression, but nobody is expecting an immediate flip or any drastic moves like that.

As has been the case all along, Shepherd is still a UT commitment, but Texas will have to recruit Shepherd as if he’s an uncommitted prospect. There's a good chance he's back on the UT campus again this weekend.

Texas extended a scholarship offer to 2019 defensive end Myron Warren this week. The next day, Warren decommitted from TCU.

On the surface, this one obviously looks very good for the Longhorns. The timing of Warren’s decommitment wasn’t a coincidence. But Texas fans may need to be patient here. The Many (LA) product told us this week that he’s in no rush to make a decision now that he’s opened things up, and he’s considering several schools.

TCU remains in the mix, and Warren said he’s also considering Mississippi State, Oregon, Clemson, Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Missouri.

Look for Warren to take his time with the process now that he’s back on the market. He said he very well may take his decision into January or even February so he can take his official visit. Texas will get one of those trips and if things go well, the Longhorns should have a great shot at landing the suddenly red-hot Warren.

Fullerton Community College linebacker Caleb Johnson will be in Austin on his official visit this weekend. Johnson decommitted from Iowa State earlier in the week.

Schools like Oregon and Colorado are still hanging around, but this one looks better and better for UT.

In talking to Johnson this week, he was very clear that he’s expecting to be blown away by Texas on his official visit. He’ll be joined by his mother on the trip, and Johnson said there are people close to him who are pretty much telling him he’ll fall in love and wind up a Texas commitment.

“Honestly, it’s just really all depends on how I feel about it. A lot of these schools have the same things, so it’s just going to depend on the vibe I’m getting from the coaches, how I feel about it, what my mom thinks,” Johnson said. “I definitely think this is going to be a great visit. I’ve asked some people who have been through the process and know about Texas. They all think I’ll be going there.”

(From McComas)

Texas Basketball practice is in full swing, and one thing hasn’t changed: there’s an excitement on the 40 Acres about this team, and specifically the quality experience level Texas returned.

Texas hasn’t announced that Kerwin Roach II is fully cleared since his meniscus injury, but it sounds like he’s doing a lot in practice (a video from the Texas Basketball account last week showed Roach throwing down a dunk with ease). And one person described him as playing at the best level he ever has, while senior Dylan Osetkowski is playing well, is bouncing around and “looks great” physically.

Texas didn’t just return quality senior experience, though. Matt Coleman continues to show he’s an improved player all-around, and the work he put in working on his jumper is showing. Jericho Sims is putting together moments of total impact as he continues to grow into a potential starring sophomore role.

The freshman name that continues to be mentioned the most is guard Courtney Ramey, who is mentioned as a “hooper” that’s tough and loves competition. Along with his playmaking on the court, Ramey is making just as much of an impact with his mental makeup; he wants to go at people, and doesn’t ever shy away from a challenge in game settings. He’ll likely bring many of the same intangibles Coleman did in his own way.

It might be time to pay a little more attention to freshman Jaxson Hayes. I still think he’s probably not going to play a lot of minutes this season, but this is now the third time someone has described his talent level as being special. He could be on the same trajectory Sims is on. The scouting report on Kamaka Hepa when he arrived included his great feel for the game, shooting, and hoops IQ. Those things are showing, and he remains a freshman that’s going to play and help right away. As he continues to get acclimated with the college game, defending at this level is an adjustment. As highly skilled and cerebral as Hepa is, he won’t ever be confused as in the same tier as players like Hayes and Sims when it comes to athleticism.

Multiple people have used the word “solid” to describe Elijah Long, who seems to be establishing himself as a nice complimentary piece that will play a noticeable role. Most importantly, it sounds like Long is knocking down perimeter shots. If one was to build a rotation right now, it sounds like Long is ahead of both Jase Febres and Gerald Liddell. Liddell flashes big-time upside, though.

A couple of hoops recruiting tidbits:

Connected with someone at Austin Westlake close to five-star big man Will Baker today, and joked that no one seems to be able to figure out for sure where Baker is leaning and when he’ll decide.

“He keeps it very close to the vest haha. We will probably find out at the same time,” said this person.

Basically, Baker isn’t really discussing his recruitment with anyone besides his family, and it’s probably not a topic that even comes up a whole lot with them. That being said, I still expect Baker to want to have a decision by the first signing period.

As for Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, New Hampshire) forward Kai Jones, two connected people believe Jones could be nearing a decision. No one has a specific date, but Jones has yet to schedule a final official visit after releasing a top three of Texas, Florida State and Baylor. Both people I talked with believe Texas is in better standing today than it was two weeks ago; still a FSU/Texas battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News