ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Breaking down a monster Saturday in recruiting (7:37 am Update)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
434066629_802913924615092_4684916114000964627_n.jpg

Founded by proud UT graduates (Garner, B.S. Geology and Chris BBA and MBA from McCombs), Mercury Exteriors is dedicated to helping Texans improve their homes. Whether it is repairing damage caused by bad weather or upgrading the exterior of a home, Mercury is trusted by Longhorn fans across the state (disclaimer: we will also help Aggies, Red Raiders and Horned Frogs, as long as they behave themselves).

For a free estimate, please contact us at 512-729-ROOF (7663) or info@mercuryexteriors.com.

Let's start with today's commitment and the new on the 5-stars that were on hand...

This is one that you could see coming a mile away, as Stewart hasn't been shy about pointing out that the Longhorns are a program that he has rated very highly since his de-commitment from SMU on January 31sr.

When asked why he made the move today, Stewart kept it pretty simply.

"Texas is a special place," Stewart told OB. "It felt like home, really. Texas has been my dream school for a while now. Why wait?"

Sometimes it's just that simple.

Stewart also made a point to mention that running backs coach Tashard Choice was paramount to his decision. "Really what made me want to do it is just the way Coach Choice coaches," Stewart said. "He's someone that I want to have a bond with."

A few things stand out with Moore's visit.

1. He's staying in Austin an extra night and will be visiting with Steve Sarkisian tomorrow.

2. He raved about the Texas practice today, saying that seeing clips and being told about it isn't nearly the same as watching the speed and intensity in person. He joked that Coach Samples could never let Duncanville practice the way the Longhorns did on Saturday because it would be too risky.

3. He will definitely be back for the Texas spring game in two weeks.

Today was a good day in the continued pursuit of Moore.

The Longhorns made such a huge impression on the Jacksonville star that the Longhorns are now in his top three, along with Ohio State and Tennessee.

He'll be back in town for his official visit on June 21st.

This kid loves him some Texas... I'm talking the University of Texas and the state of Texas. It really sounds like the Longhorns could be the team to beat, although he wouldn't specifically say that when pressured on whether he had a true standout.

"I feel like Coach (Chris) Jackson feels I can be an impact player here at The University of Texas and getting to be around the other recruits like Jaime Ffrench, KJ Lacy - the quarterback commit here, Jordan Davison and even Kelshaun Johnson," Lockett said.

"I really liked the conversation with (Steve Sarkisian) because he didn't talk football. We talked about life. We talked about the four laws of nature.

Lockett mentioned that he and his dad hit it off, since both are from the state of California. He ate crawfish with KJ Lacey and mentioned that he would like for him to be his quarterback one day. He also mentioned that he and Dakorien Moore would love to play together. "Me and Dakorian have been talking about that since the 8th grade," Locket said.

LSU and A&M are his next 2 visits and then he'll take his officials and then likely make his announcement in August.

The Longhorns made a big impression on Williams, but it remains to be seen just how big of an impression.

"My takeaway," Williams asked reporters. I sat down and had a great conversation with Coach Sark and Coach Gideon. Those are two guys that are very important to my recruiting process. They are recruiting me heavily and I'm just thankful for that."

The Longhorns are 100% recruiting Williams as a safety and he seriously paid attention to that group on the field today, along with everything that Gideon was putting down. After specifically mentioning thatTexas safety Jelani McDonald was his guy, Williams said, "(Michael) Taaffe... be on the look out for him. Derek Williams. They were all going crazy. They like to hit. They are a physical team. It's a pretty good defense."

Williams hinted that he might come back for the Texas spring game, but was coy about his future visit plans, not specifically mentioning any future dates on a return trip to Austin.

Zion had himself a really good time today. A really good time. On the food front along, he joked that he nearly ate himself to death. Honestly, I lost track of it all. It included a bag of crawfish, at least four sandwiches and two cookies and cream snacks. This dude would have been a champion at Mr. Gattis' buffet on MLK back in the day.

He raved about Kenny Baker. Zion called him super cool. Loved hanging with him. Zion loved that Baker talked to him as a young man and not just a kid.

Zion loved how hard they were hitting, yet not getting mad at each other. He felt like it was proof of just how together they were as a team and how committed they were to getting better.

Has OVs set for Texas, Texas A&M and TCU, but I came away thinking the Longhorns are in a terrific spot.

Let's start with just an impression that I made from listening to the interviews with Zion Williams and DJ Sanders. If you just read the quotes, you'll think that they were pretty similar, but where Williams was damn near bubbly with enthusiasm over his visit, Sanders was a little more understated.

That being said...

"It was a great visit," Sanders said. "It had a great atmosphere. I have a great reviews about Texas.

"I liked the atmosphere of the practice. I'd say the trash talking (is what stood out the most). The defense won that battle.

"I feel like I fit the scheme very well. They run a great scheme.

"They stand pretty high. I would say the coaching staff and the players."

Mentioned that Coach Baker is the coach on the staff that he's closest to.

Michigan is his next visit and he said he doesn't have a timeline for a decision. A&M, Texas, USC and Baylor were all mentioned. His official visit to Texas is set for June 21st.

Loves "the love that the coaches showed me and the players as well". Spent time talking with both Anthony Hill and David Gbenda about the recruiting process and everything they have been through. He spoke very high;y of the people in and around the program. "It's great to be around great people."

Will stay in Austin tonight and return to the 40 Acres tomorrow morning when he has a sit down with Steve Sarkisian.

Said that he'll make a decision in August, but I have to admit, there's some buzz going around that we need to be paying special attention to him after his visit with Sarkisian. We'll see what happens.

Mention ed that it was great to be back to see the coaches and players, while also being able to spend time with therm.

Talks with Kyle Flood all the time. They'll get on Zoom calls and spend time breaking down ways for Rogers to improve his game. Spoke with Sarkisian today and the point was reinforced that they covet him and really want him at Texas. He also felt like talking with the players today opened up his eyes even more than they already were... which were pretty wide. Plans on making an announcement on his commitment at the end of the summer. Will visit Tennessee, LSU, Texas A&M and Texas before he makes his decision. If there's anyone outside of that top four, they didn't come to mind when he was thinking about it.

"I'd say (Texas) is high in my rankings," Rogers said.

"They just have a togetherness. Everyone is just on one accord. Everything it like a brotherhood in a way."

Mentioned that Trevor Goosby stood out to him in practice today.

Had a close relationship with Bo Davis, but he loves what Kenny Baker is doing with the defensive linemen and getting them ready for the SEC.

Texas, Missouri, Houston and Cal are his top schools.

The young UT commitment had nothing but rave reviews to give.

"It was smooth. It was great vibes," Guillory said. "Just the enviroment, it was fun and exciting to get back out here."

On Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice: "He's going to show you that love/hate thing. He's going to get on you, but it's all love. He showed me that today when early in the position meeting, he said 'I don't need anyone fumbling'. and (CJ Baxter) had fumbled today at practice, and (Choice) got on him. C4 is a big dog, but he still made him do bear-crawls. That just showed me that his loyalty to the other players is there. C4 is a big name and (Choice) treated him like he was just a regular (Player on the team.

"I'm going to give it up to the defense. Everyone had been telling me that the offense had been whupping them, but I give it up to the defense today. They did their thing."

Mentioned that Jaydon Blue stood out to him and that ".he's a player that Coach Choice wants me to play like."

"The visit went great, I really loved it," Sims said.

Will be back for the spring game.

"Coach Baker hits me up almost every week," Baker said "He's great. He checks up on me. We talk about football and outside of football. He's great.

"Definitely, UT is top 5, for sure. SMU is in there. Texas tech is in there and I'd say Washington.

"It's just the culture and how they treat their players. They develop a lot of good defensive linemen and and I could really see myself coming in and making a huge impact.

"It went great. I got to see a lot of familiar faces," the dynamic 2027 prospect said.

"The way Coach K (Kwiatkowski) broke it all down, I feel like that plays a big part in why they have so much success."

Rowe mentioned that the Longhorns are recruiting him on defense as a Jack.

"The way they plays is exactly how I base my craft around the way I play, so I feel like I would fit in the defense very well.

He mentioned watching Colin Simmons and Zina Umeozulu. "I talked to Colin a lot and Alex January," he said. "I have family in Austin and really enjoy the culture.

Listed Oregon, Texas, OU, and SMU as the schools that currently stand out the most.

The strong-side defensive end from The Boot had nothing but positive things to say.

"I really enjoyed my day today, I really liked practice and how competitive it was," Lewis said. "I like how the coaches coach. I like how the teammates hype each other up. They are happy for each other's success. When someone else does good, they hype each other up and congratulate them. I like how hands on the coaches were.

"During the team period, it's real competitive between the offense and the defense. It was kind of chippy. They wanted to stop the run and make sure the offense wasn't going anywhere. There was a lot of energy and competitiveness. The defenses wanted to set the tone and I definitely liked that.

"I like this one drill they did. It was like the gauntlet. It was three offensive players vs. three defensive players and then they have the running back. When they blow the whistle, everyone goes at it to stop the running back, while the running back tries to score.

Recently picked up a Texas offer and wasted little time in getting to campus.

Texas has been a favorite school of his so he was excited to get the offer. He’ll OV in June, with Arkansas and Miami also in the mix.

Per: Adam Gorney: "Talked to Bryce Perry-Wright and he really loved what Texas is doing along the defensive line and really, really likes that position coach Kenny Baker coached in the NFL. That's going to be a huge draw.

But there are some things to watch: One, Perry-Wright said he wants his family around him (which makes me to think he's looking to stay closer to home) and Georgia still hasn't offered the 2026 defensive tackle which makes me a little curious.

Either way, Texas will be involved here and I think the move to the SEC will be a big draw for him."

Per Adam Gormney: "After talking to Troy Huhn, I'd be very surprised if there was a team higher than Texas right now as he just finished up his visit there and absolutely loved it.

The 2026 QB from San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills talked at length with Sark and AJ Milwee and went on and on about how much he liked about the program and the QB-friendly offense. He's not going to rush anything but Texas looks really good here."

(Note: I will continue to update this thread throughout the rest of the evening.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News