ADVERTISEMENT

Instant analysis - Keivon Ramsey likes to hit... a lot

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
It's becoming clear that Charlie Strong and the Longhorns like defensive backs with some size and some physicality. They added a guy with both after today's Spring Game when 2015 Converse Judson DB Kevion Ramsey committed to Texas.

About Ramsey...
Here's a first: while I was watching Ramsey's tape, I wondered at the beginning of the play why a fullback was highlighted with a circle. Normally, that's reserved for the player who is supposed to be the star of the tape. Then, I watched as the 6-1 Ramsey came up on a running play and absolutely blew up the fullback and the play with a vicious hit near the line of scrimmage.

That play could be a great way to sum up Texas' newest commitment. From a deep safety spot - Ramsey plays near the line of scrimmage pre-snap occasionally against run formations and in running situations - the Judson DB plays with strong instincts, quickness, excellent knowledge of how to avoid and get off of blocks, and a very physical nature. You won't find many 2015 defensive backs that hit as hard and as often as Ramsey does; he just has a knack for being near the football and in the position to diagnose a play so that he can be set up for a big hit.

Ramsey shows pretty good ball skills and turn-and-run ability from the safety spot. It's a little unclear exactly how well he'd cover near the line of scrimmage because he doesn't do it much, but he has the length, speed, and hips to be able to cover.

As for his body, the three-star prospect should fill out well, and doesn't appear to be done growing.

film

What does this mean for Texas?
It means that we're starting to see the type of DB Texas is going to target, and Ramsey is a prospect that is probably going to see his stock warm up soon. Oklahoma seemed very interested in the 6-1 DB and LSU recently offered. This is another versatile prospect that plays with a physical nature, and a player that can be moved around in a defense.

This post was edited on 4/19 6:01 PM by DustinMcComas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News