ADVERTISEMENT

Instant analysis: Mullet up! Addition of Ewers means everything

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Cliffs Notes: The Longhorns picked up its biggest commitment/verbal pledge/transfer since the commitment of Vince Young with the announcement that Ohio State quarterback and former five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers is headed to Austin to be a centerpiece of Steve Sarkisian's program.

Rankings: Rivals lists Ewers as the No.1 player from the 2021 recruiting class, while 247 and ESPN both had him ranked as the No.1 player in the 2022 class before his decision to enroll early at Ohio State.

Key Offers: Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas A&M and USC

Evaluation: I've probably been one of Ewers' biggest detractors, mainly because I only listed him as a five-star prospect and not the no-doubt-about-it-No.1-prospect in the nation as so many others have, which speaks to how insanely talented Ewers is as a quarterback prospect. The conversation isn't about whether he's one of the best high school quarterbacks in the country, but whether he might be one of the best quarterbacks prospects in the history of Rivals.com. One thing is certain, Ewers might be the most accurate quarterback in the short and intermediate areas of the field that I've ever seen. Time after time after time, when he drops back to throw a football, he puts the ball right on the money. In terms of arm strength, he probably showcases it best when he's throwing to the sidelines from the opposite hash mark. At times he can make the toughest throws on the field look very easy. In a world where you have minor concerns about a five-star prospect, mine probably center around his ability to throw the ball consistently well when in a loud pocket or when pressure is coming directly in his face. For much of his high school career, he was able to throw the ball with very little disruption to his mechanics and footwork, which means that he just played pitch and catch with his receivers. How he's able to handle pressure at the next level is ultimately the thing that will define his career as a quarterback. If that comes through, he has the skill level to play on Sundays down the road.

Former Texas player he reminds me of: None

Former non-Texas player he reminds me of: None

Why it matters: The last time the Longhorns signed a player that was regarded as the consensus No.1 overall prospect in the country was 20 years ago when Vince Young changed the Texas program forever with his commitment to Mack Brown. That's the kind of impact that the No.1 overall prospect in the nation can have on a program when he plays the quarterback position. In the short-term, the Longhorns have a player that will come in this spring and immediately compete for the starting quarterback job. In the long-term, the Longhorns have a player that Sarkisian can build the entire program around in the coming months and years. In a year when the state of Texas produced three five-star level quarterback prospects, the Longhorns have landed the guy they wanted all along.

Enjoy his junior highlights...

View attachment 1829

At Bucket List Events, we strive to provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We recognize that world travel is currently in an unprecedented state of uncertainty, and would love to help give you something to look forward to in 2022.

We want to host Orangebloods for what will be the most anticipated San Fermin ever.

We can't wait to start planning an incredible trip for you, and would be happy to walk you through the different options we have in place, including:
Pamplona and San Sebastian Bundle - Pricing ranges from $1,995 to $2,595 per person

Opening Ceremonies (July 5-8) - Pricing starting at $2,195 per person

Mid-Festival (July 8-12) - Pricing starting at $1,995 per person

Closing Ceremonies (July 12-15) - Pricing starting at $1,595 per person

Quick Trip 2 night Packages - Pricing from $595 - $845 per person

Interest-free payment plans can be arranged via phone at 512-377-1694. Just mention you are with Orangebloods.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News