ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Ok, that was a much improved step forward...

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Yes, the competition was lowly San Jose State, but when you play so poorly in your opener that folks start talking about going 4-8 instead of 10-2, any kind of forward progress is meaningful.

56-0 is progress.

* The team found some answers in the running game.

* The defense pitched a shutout.

* The effort was strong for 60 minutes.

Oh, and the freshman quarterback played pretty damn good, all things considered.

Next up: a night in Los Angeles that will teach us a lot about what this team is made of.

All in all, today was a good day.

(Other thoughts on the game)

1. Sam Ehlinger looked like a freshman quarterback at the beginning of the game, but once he settled into the contest, he played pretty well. Three things really stood out..

a. His confidence in gaining yards with his feet is unshakable. There's no hesitation there and there's not nearly as much fear of him getting hurt in doing so like there is with Shane Buechele.

b. He's much more comfortable pushing the ball down the field than Buechele. That intermediate and deep-intermediate areas of the field were comfortable throwing zones for Ehlinger. When he was in high school, the thing that I loved about Ehlinger was his ability to stand in the pocket under pressure and make big-time throws. He handles that part of the game better... right now... than Buechele.

c. The kid does have moxie. He reminds me of another No.11.

2. Jerrod Heard should have never moved away from quarterback and moving forward he has to be involved in the offense like he was today. It just gives the offense a different card up its sleeve and it needed it today.

3. Chris Warren is the best running back on this team and that should have been settled today. Kyle Porter should be getting 1/4 of his game reps, My only concern with Warren is that he's specialized in performing well against teams like San Jose State and I just don't know what to expect with him (or much of this team) going into next week. Today? Today, he might have been the best player on the field.

4. Catch the ball, receivers. Catch the ball.

5. Two weeks ago, Armanti Foreman was in the dog house with his coaches. Two weeks later, Foreman has reminded everyone that game performances matter more than practice performances.

6. Toneil Carter flashed late in the game. Give that kid more reps.

7. The offensive line was getting pushed around early in the game, but eventually this group started to impose some will. In the process, I thought Denzel Okafor made some forward movement. He's getting better.

8. Here's hoping Patrick Hudson is ok because he was a pleasant surprise before he went off the field injured in the fourth quarter.

9. There are still too many moments when the line is allowing major disruption in the backfield. That's a cloud following the team going into the next game.

10. Malik Jefferson has emerged as a whipping boy, but I thought he played really well to my naked eye today. He was a much more disciplined today.

11. All Holton Hill does is score touchdowns. Give that kid the Heisman after week two (tongue-in-cheek comment).

12. Gary Johnson and Malik Jefferson on the field together? Yes, please. More of that, please.

13. When is one of the starting Texas safeties going to blow someone up or make a big play?

14. The place-kicking leaves a lot to be desired.

15. Lorenzo Joe, that was one hell of a catch. Take a bow.

16. Nice look today, Ahmad Brooks. I couldn't pull that look with the picnic table shirt and bow-tie, but you made it work.

17. This made me cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News