ADVERTISEMENT

Instant analysis: Sark gets His Super Speed Weapon

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1633565145787.png

Cliffs Notes: The Longhorns picked up one of its most important commitments in the 2022 recruiting class when Spearman, Texas athlete Brenen Thompson committed to Steve Sarkisian and Co.

Rankings: Rivals currently has him ranked as a high four-star prospect, the No. 58 overall prospect in the country, the No.3 athlete and the No.12 overall prospect in the state of Texas. 247 currently has him rated as a low four-star prospect, the No.140 overall player in the nation and the No.25 overall prospect in Texas, while ESPN has him ranked as a mid four-star and the No.89 overall prospect in the country. I currently have him ranked No.14 in the most recent Lone Star Recruiting Rankings.

Key Offers: Texas A&M (OV), Oklahoma State (OV), Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Stanford.

For those wondering: I'll confess, I didn't know where it was, either.

1633565348862.png

Evaluation: Speed, speed and seriously more speed. There's more to Thompson's game than speed, but ignoring the fact that he rans a 10.38 100 meters and a 21.27 200 meters in track would be to ignore the thing that potentially makes him a special talent at the collegiate level. Quite simply - Thompson is one of the fasted prospects across the entire map. As a bit of a do-it-all jackrabbit for Spearman, Thompson was involved in every facet of the game that would allow him to touch the football and his speed is simply unfair at the level of classification (3A) that he plays at on the high school scene. He'll arrive at Texas as a player that needs some fine tuning as a route runner and a blocker, but he'll be able to potentially be able to make a big impact as a young player on returns, screens, jet sweeps, etc... Some might want to draw comparisons between Thompson and former Texas player D.J. Monroe, but Thompson is a much more advanced as a receiver at this stage in his development than Monroe was. Personally, I wouldn't expect him to come in and set the world on fire as a guy that can play both inside and outside at the drop of the dime like Xavier Worthy, but his ability to change a game with his speed is in the same zip code or even better. If his skill as a receiver comes a long, he has a chance to be a major college game-breaker. If there's a worry with Thompson, it mostly centers around the fact that he's going to be making a larger jump up in competition than most.

Texas player he reminds me of: Xavier Worthy

Why it matters: The Longhorns have been looking to add players with game-changing speed and suddenness at the receiver position from the first day Sarkisian stepped foot on the 40 Acres and after losing the commitment of 5-star Evan Stewart earlier in the year, landing Thompson means that the Texas offense will land at least one speed merchant at the receiver position that will rank among the nation's truly elite. In terms of star power, Thompson replaces Maalik Murphy as the single highest-rated prospect in the Texas recruiting class in the current Rivals recruiting rankings.

Attachments

• 1633565145787.png
    1633565145787.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 7,976
  • 1633565348862.png
    1633565348862.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 7,815
Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series