ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Texas lands one of the best guards in the portal...

WesMillerOB

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
1713131209792-png.5101

Founded by proud UT graduates (Garner, B.S. Geology and Chris BBA and MBA from McCombs), Mercury Exteriors is dedicated to helping Texans improve their homes. Whether it is repairing damage caused by bad weather or upgrading the exterior of a home, Mercury is trusted by Longhorn fans across the state (disclaimer: we will also help Aggies, Red Raiders and Horned Frogs, as long as they behave themselves).

For a free estimate, please contact us at 512-729-ROOF (7663) or info@mercuryexteriors.com.

AND.....

Boom!

Texas nabs one of the best overall players in the transfer portal with today's commitment from Jordan Pope. The 6'2, 170lbs Oregon State transfer was fifth in the Pac 12 in scoring last season putting up 18 PPG. I know it's not really noted in the basketball world but it's always fun when the Longhorns go head to head with the Aggies and win.

As far as the impact of this commitment...

In an offseason where there were a lot of question marks around how Rodney Terry and this staff needed to find a way to bolster the roster after guys graduating, transferring etc, he and this staff been throwing haymakers. The Longhorns have added depth, they have improved offensively, and they have added quality pieces to the puzzle that I felt like the Horns didn't really have last season; that are a better fit overall for what Rodney Terry wants to do.

Highlighting some of what Jordan Pope does really well, it's hard not say.....everything. He is so damn smooth. Pope has a tight handle, quick release, can finish over taller defenders, and will be a perfect replacement for Max Abmas now that he's moved on. He shot an eye-popping 50% from the floor, and 37% from the three point line as the primary ball handler for the Beavers, and when you take a look at his supporting cast with guys like Tramon Mark etc, it's hard not to get excited.

His assist numbers don't really jump off the screen but that should change in this offense with Texas' new found ability to spread the floor in a more efficient way. In my "Grading the Roster" thread that I started last week, I marked the point guard position as a soft C+ with the sole rostered point guard being Julian Larry. I feel comfortable moving this position group up to an A-, and that should tell you how confident I am in Jordan Pope's ability to elevate this team.

Pope has another two years of eligibility and Rodney Terry is continuing to put this team in a position to be a formidable player in the SEC. Say what you will about RT, but he is doing all of the right things. This coaching staff is dialed in.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News