ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Well, that was both stunning and gut-stomping....

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1633810822270.png

Stunning.

Heartbreaking.

Gut-punching.

That.

Just,

Happened.

I don't even know what to say. Somehow, some way, the Texas Longhorns lust that game to Oklahoma after leading 28-7 through the first quarter.

For all the things I've seen in this game over the last 25 years, I've never seen this and I don't know how to process what it all means in the immediate aftermath of it all.

It's devastating on so many levels for the Longhorns. Casey Thompson played the best game any Texas quarterback has ever played in this game and lost. Xavier Worthy might have played the best game any receiver in Texas history has ever produced and lost.

Texas was outscored 48-20 after the first quarter ended.

What does it mean?

It means that Texas absolutely blew a game it should have won. It means that Steve Sarkisian doesn't have his signature win. It means that the Longhorns have a smaller margin of error for qualifying for the Big 12 Championship than it did when it entered the game.

So many things went wrong in the second half. The defense was abysmal in giving up more than 650 yards of total offense to a team that made a change at quarterback with the Longhorns leading by three scores. The offensive line caved in. Sarkisian's game management was sketchy, especially at the end of the first half.

A lot of things have to occur at once to blow such a big lead and boy did a bunch of things occur.

It's an all-time great game that leaves an all-time great mark on the face of the Longhorns in the process.

That taste in your mouth right now? That's the taste of bitterness.

(Other thoughts on the game...)

... Casey Thompson threw for 388 yards, 5 touchdown passes and finished with a 203 game rating. He deserves to leave this game a winner.

... Oklahoma rushed for 339 yards and passed for 323 yards. That's a very average defense that played a horrible three quarters.

... This game was won and lost by Oklahoma's offense and defensive lines. It was a whipping on both sides of the ball in the second half.

... Everything I worried about with this Texas offensive line came true in this game.

... My goodness, how good was Xavier Worthy - 9 receptions for 261 yards and two touchdowns, with the first touchdown being a 75-yard catch and run on the first play of the game. Is that the best receiving game in school history when you consider the stakes? Sooners fans.have fun with him the next two years.

... All that being said, why oh why, did Xavier bring that kickoff out of the end zone?

... Texas let the Cal;eb Williams era begin on them. BrutaL. HIS 66-yard touchdown run kind of reminded me of Vince Young's big run when he first entered the game back in 2003.

... This one of the greatest runs in the history of the Texas football program. Bijan had himself a moment.

... Game recognizes game.

.... Twice in this rivalry that I can remember, Oklahoma has scored in the first minute of this game. That Worthy touchdown on the opening play is the first time I can remember Texas doing so. In fact, the start/first quarter of this game reminded me of the 1995 game when the Longhorns jumped out to. 21-0 lead in the first nine minutes of the game. It took the Longhorns three minutes to score its first touchdown that day on a Pat Fitzgerald touchdown reception from James Brown.

... Was that first half the best half of football that DeMarvion Overshown has ever played at Texas? Huge sack. Blocked punt. Sideline to sideline enforcer. Watching him realize his playmaking potential was nice.

... Did Ben Davis earn his scholarship with that strip of Spencer Rattler in the second quarter?

... Ovie Oghoufo saved a touchdown with the hit on Caleb Williams in the fourth quarter.

... Speaking of Rattler, what the hell do we make of his career? Did he just lose his job for good? Is he closer to needing to transfer than his is turning pro? The things that have happened to him this season are kind of unreal.

... Oklahoma seemed to want a piece of Andrej Karic more than Christian Jones, as they threw the kitchen sick at him in the form of twists, stunts and a dose of Nik Bonitto. In fact, Bonitto almost changed the game with the hit he got on Thompson from Karic's side because of the fear of injury to Thompson's throwing hand.

... Take a bow, Joshua Moore. Talk about showing up in a big way in the big game.

... Shout out to Oklahoma punter Michael Turk for his 85-yard monster punt in the second quarter. That happened. Of courdse, Cameron Dicker banged a 78-yard punt later in the game? WTF?

... It's so crazy watching B.J. Foster making big plays like his interception in the first quarter when you consider where he was at this time last year.

... On one hand, the 29-yard completion that completely changed the momentum seemed to indicate that the replay official favored Oklahoma, but on the other hand, I thought one the lineman on the Oklahoma sideline stiffed them on a few spots short of first downs. So, it all evened out, right? Not really. Oklahoma didn't have a penalty called on it through the first 51:24 of the game. Man, the officiating in this conference..

... I still can't believe this game. Off to the post-game show, I go.

Attachments

• 1633798962834.png
    1633798962834.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 159
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News