ADVERTISEMENT

Intel on the promotion of Brandon Harris and recruiting staff

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
The University of Texas announced the promotion of four staff members on Tuesday night. The word from inside the building for several days was that Brandon Harris would likely receive a General Manager title at Texas, and it became official tonight.

Here is some information worth passing along:

1. The timing of this announcement is not as simplistic as Texas wanted to make a splash before signing day on Wednesday. This was far from a calculated move to generate headlines. This occurred out of necessity.

2. I was told Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian was caught off guard by the departure of Billy Glasscock (former director of player personnel) to Ole Miss. Glasscock was highly respected by the people he dealt with inside and outside the building. Glasscock received a nice pay bump and title at Ole Miss.

3. In addition, I was told something significant. A lot of players are in the process of signing NIL deals at this moment. Sarkisian needed a point person on his staff to deal with collectives and players. Harris was the most convenient option.

4. My sources said this is a position Harris has wanted for multiple years. Promoting Harris to GM eliminates the risk of potentially losing him to another program that offers a GM title. Harris is extremely loyal to Sarkisian and this promotion means he will not leave anytime soon.

5. Sarkisian will have a signing day press conference on Wednesday and likely share his thoughts on the promotion of Harris.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News