ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Aggie HC position an elite coveted job?

dunemessiah

Gold Member
May 19, 2005
I sometimes think we need both football experts *and* social scientists to help analyze Aggie football, but I've heard a lot of debates on this topic. I'm not convinced there is a clean answer. In many ways, the Bill Parcells quip applies. You are what your record says you are. The record says it is a sand trap for promising football coaches. We measure by the trail of the dead.

Pros (elite/coveted):
- $$$ resources that rival any program in the country. In fact, easily in the top 1% of alumni and University support. That $70M buyout speaks for itself.
- NIL $$ is ample and those top recruiting classes speak for themselves, despite Jimbo's attempts to deflect
- Buy-in, in fact you might call it wild eyed conviction, by all University leaders. Dedicated alumni, fans, and students. Rabidly dedicated at times
- In a recruiting rich region of the country. Part of the SEC, which is the premier league of college football

Cons
- They haven't won a championship since dinosaurs roamed the earth. You can blame bad coaching hires only so much. The data is the data. 100 years of coaches says there is more at play.
- The culture is......"unique". I do think this gets overlooked by more mainstream commentary and football voices, who have never lived among the Aggie. The jokes write themselves, but the Aggie culture permeates almost every aspect of what might impact a football program.
- Hanger-ons galore. Donors who payout $100M+ in football coach salaries have a voice in the locker room, practices, and have the HC on speedial. Seems like that has an impact.
- Aggieville isn't for everyone. Yes, they have deep recruiting advantages, but there are some kids who are turned off by the weirdness. NIL might get mercenaries, but you need head and heart to win games. Pre-Ricky Williams, Texas struggled with inner city recruiting. I think Dead Dog Ville has some of that same stigma.
- Local competition. Aggie is in a tough neighborhood. Texas, LSU, et al have a lot to sell, which is distinct and Aggie can't replicate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News