ADVERTISEMENT

It turns out that the heimlich is a good skill to have

Her costar in the beaver picture

Nihilist
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2006
My daughter came to visit me at work for a little bit this afternoon. I was waiting to start a case, and mom was getting our dog from doggie daycare, so I got her a snack (fresh fruit cup), and brought her up to the OR nurses’ station, which she frequently likes to do. She talks to everyone and they all love her.

Theres about five of us sitting around, and she’s eating strawberries and talking to everyone, and suddenly she starts acting like she’s choking. I look at her and listen, and she’s not moving much air. I pick her up and give her a few quick thrusts with the heimlich, and some strawberry squirts out of her mouth. I think we’re done, but she’s still not moving much air. Now she’s starting to look kind of dusky too. So i pick her up and do it a few more times, more chunks of strawberry come out, and thats it. She coughs a few times, I hear air moving so I am relieved, and then she goes back to playing like nothing happened.

It all happened so fast that i didn’t really have time to process it, which is probably why I didn’t freak out, but that could have been bad news if I wasn’t right there next to her.

It’s also a good thing that my wife was not there, because she would have probably had a heart attack and died instantly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News