Jaylan Ford Says Jelani McDonald is Next Up; T'Vondre Sweat Has Rich Friends

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET
Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Texas players LB Jaylan Ford and DLs T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy were scheduled on Wednesday to meet with the national media at the NFL combine.. Here is what Jaylan Ford and T'Vondre Sweat had to say as they begins their journies to the NFL draft (Cody Carpentier will have Byron Murphy up as well). All three of these players are scheduled to take part in their on-field physical testing on Thursday afternoon.

JAYLAN FORD

What have you learned about the draft process?

The main thing is I think just being confident in yourself. Understanding that everybody's here for a reason. And never to doubt yourself or think that, you know, that you lack something that somebody else might hold or is capable of. Definitely just believe in yourself.

What do you want NFL teams to know about you as a person and as a teammate?

The team was everything, I come from a culture, a school where, you know, the team was the main priority and a lot of us had to sacrifice the things we wanted to put the team goals ahead and we were able to accomplish the big things doing that.

Were there any formal interviews as part of that process so far?

Yeah, I had a few formals. Indianapolis, Eagles, Rams and Giants.

So has any of this been overwhelming as team after team interview after interview?

I wouldn't say it's overwhelming. I would say it's just kind of, it's more like a, you know, like a job interview to treat it like that. I don't think it gets overwhelming. I think it's actually like, you know, putting yourself up to the plate and doing something that you've been preparing for your whole life and you finally get to do it. Show everything you've been preparing for to other teams, other scouts, other people. Your position is almost like the quarterback of the other defense.

How do you feel you exemplified yourself as the quarterback of the Texas defense?

Yeah, man, just take control of the defense. You know, like you said, being a quarterback of the defense, you got a lot on your plate, a lot of responsibility. And I think the main thing is just making sure you're prepared all the time and, you know, not really thinking about making mistakes, just, being fast and being assertive when you get in the room, you got to be loud, you got to be confident, you got to make them think that what you're saying is right. Almost like being a coach. You got to learn it and be comfortable doing that as a Mike linebacker. You got to relay the calls and all of that.

And how did you go about making sure that was always effective and it got to you, especially the big dogs?

Yeah. If they don't hear me I walk up to them, smack them on the butt a couple of times, especially the big guys, you know, make sure the dude next to me got the call and make sure to dude to my left, the right, behind me, make sure everybody's on the same page. Cause you know, one bad play could be a touchdown.

How much did the guys up front keep you clean?

Man, I think you watched they tape, you know, having them dudes up front, it made my job a lot easier. We were pretty dominant up front. And we were all around, like, you know, we're able to achieve things that we hadn't achieved at the time. At Texas in a while. So I was proud of everybody.

Who's the next QB of the Texas defense, David Gbenda?

I think it's going to be all of them. You know, I think we established a good culture in the linebacker room. Just, whoever's up, they know, they know they got to step up to the plate and be that guy. I haven't been up there in a while, so I don't really know. I don't really know who's, who's who right now. I know the three guys most likely to get most of the reps are Anthony Hill, David Gbenda, and Mo Blackwell. Yeah. So those guys know the standard, they know what it takes to be a linebacker. So I'm really excited to see.

Is Mo Blackwell more of a sub-package guy or can he be an every down LB?

I definitely think he could be in there with Anthony. Actually, you know, I talked to him, kind of, you know, give him words of encouragement for him because the biggest thing for him was like getting his weight up so he could play in the box and he's definitely been able to do that this winter. I talked to my strength coach and he said Mo's been out there flying around, he got a little heavier and, you know, that's always a plus for him.

Why did you not return for a fifth season?

I would just say I decided to come back for my fourth year. And me personally, I thought I was ready to go. I feel like I accomplished what I needed to. I didn't really have any regrets or anything, so I was ready.

Who are some of the LBs that you watch that you might say give a good example of how you play?

I mean, obviously I really like Fred Warner. He's the epitome of a linebacker right now. He can go sideline to sideline, he's a three down guy. He's got great feet, great hands, and he's really passionate about the game. I feel like, uh, that passion is something that I, I feel like I'm here as well. I definitely like to watch this tape. There's a lot of other guys out there, DeMario Davis. I love how physical he is. Man, you got Lavante David, the Bucs, his pass coverage is definitely top notch. The main thing about being a linebacker is you're really, the heart of the defense. So, you gotta, you gotta represent, you gotta display that through how you play.

That passion you mentioned, what, what drives, what creates it? What drives the passion? Wanting to win. Take me through, let's say you got a blitz, you know, the guard is there, you gotta figure out how to get past it, what's, what's your process?

You said I'm on the blitz in the guard? I mean, your main thing is you gotta go to your go to move, whatever that may be. And if that don't work, you gotta work at countering. But that all starts in practice. It all starts with preparation and understanding. When that moment presents itself, how you gonna handle it?

What's your go-to move?

What's my go-to? Uh, I usually just work cross-chop. That's my go-to. You know, usually linebackers hopefully are quicker than the O linemen, so you should be able to work on the other side of it.

What's your expectation level for Texas as it heads into the SEC?

Man, you know, everybody's like 'big boy ball,' you know, but I think them boys are ready. The way we train, I don't think it will change the way that, that mindset that Sark has been able to instill in those guys, including me, it's, it's been a game changer. We've really been able to turn that program around. And, you know, I think it's only up from here. We're only giving confidence to the guys. So I'm really excited to see.

Who is a problem to defend against in practice?

What's a big problem? Man, the running backs, Jonathan Brooks, Bijan Robinson, especially as a linebacker going against them in One on ones. Um, you know, meet them in the hole. Just trying to tackle them. They definitely get you ready for the next level.

What about CJ Baxter and Jaydon Blue?

They definitely got their own different styles. But I think one thing about Sark is he does a good job of making sure he puts the guys in right at the right time.And, you know, he's going to give both of them some reps. So, I'm really just excited to see what they do with it. And, throughout the season they'll prove themselves. You'll get to see who's gonna be the next 1000 yard rusher.

Who's next up at Texas who people might not have heard of?

I like Jelani McDonald ... he's a young guy, but he's definitely developed. The promise that he has to be a great player. I'm really excited to see.

Is McDonald playing nickel or linebacker or what nowadays?

He's playing safety and nickel, one of those. Safety and nickel. Yeah.

What stands out about him?

His size, his speed and I think he just, he loves to have fun. So I, I'm really excited to see how he grows and matures and understands the game more, and can be a player for them.

T'VONDRE SWEAT

What happened with the medical check up today (that made him miss his original interview time)

You know, medical comes first before all this and and everything's good. Can't wait to go compete.

Have you weighed in yet?

I haven't. Weigh in tomorrow. So everybody that wants to know, you'll see tomorrow.

What do you expect? Where do you want to be to be the most effective that you could be?

This past season I played 365 and that's where I feel comfortable at.

That was a pretty big increase from what you played at in previous seasons. What was behind that decision?

You know. You know how a man is. I mean, you want yourself ... we got to grow into our bodies and this is me. As y'all see, I'm a big guy, big frame. And that's just how it is. I just grew into my body, man. Everyone, everyone. But, I'll let y'all know I'm doing everything at the combine before y'all even ask.I feel like a lot of y'all going to be like (makes a shocked face), When I run this 40, you know, I'm gonna shock a lot of y'all.

What do you anticipate running?

4.4 or 4.5 (laughs).

Have you met with the Cowboys?

I did. It went great. Actually, first I got to give a shout out to my guy Paxton (Anderson). He was in there. So that was pretty cool. You know, seeing him on the other side and not as my teammate, you know, so that was pretty cool, but it went great.

What helped you with process of putting on the weight?

God. I mean, God. I'm just a big guy, you know, and a lot of people get scared of the numbers and all that, but when y'all see me move tomorrow, I feel like a lot of people are going to be like, Oh, you're worried about this number? You know what I mean? So, it's just God, and I give a big shout out to my nutritionist at the University of Texas. They helped me a lot, and my coaches. I mean, yeah, it's hard, you know, guys like me can't sit around for a week, you know, you got some guys that can sit around for a week and don't gain weight, but a big guy like me can't sit around. All I could do is sit around for about a day or two, then I got to get up and do something. So that's just how I go about the situation.To push forward. But I like it because it gets me off my butt. You know, not just sitting around. I know myself and I know my body that I know I can't sit around for weeks or just a week, you know, just because if I sit down for a week, I gained about 30 pounds. You know what I'm saying? So I know for a fact I can't do that. So I just sit there for a day or two, take some time to myself, meditate and go about my business like that.

Beyond the weight, do people worry about your conditioning? What do you say to people that say, can he maintain the weight is one thing, but can he maintain that same motor from first quarter to fourth quarter?

100 percent I can. I mean, as y'all seen this past year, I did what I had to do, and y'all will see what I do at the next level.

Did you enjoy all the accolades this year?

I mean, it means a lot, but it really don't. I mean, yeah, I got all that, but I'm here today to compete with the best of the best and just get to meet some new guys that wasn't my teammates, you know? I feel like I'm just taking all this experience in, and it's awesome.

But doesn't it say something, though, to be considered the best defensive player in the conference?

I really don't look into all that, man. I'm just day by day type of guy, you I'm just who I am every day, you know, I don't really look into who the best or nothing like that. I just do what I gotta do.

What does it say about your program, you got so many guys here to combine? Because before Sark got there, Texas was Lighter than guys getting right.

I mean, like I say, big shout out to Coach Sark, man. Great person. What happens when we just all believe and trust, man, and that's what got us to this situation. Just believing and trusting in our head coach.

Where'd you get the nickname from? Loaf? Big Loaf?

Loaf, uh, actually I give a shout out to, uh, Mom that I grew up with. Not my actual mom, but I call her mom cause we grew up. She helped us grow up. Um, Her name is Miss Ebony. Big shout out to her because she's the one who started it, actually started it at a basketball game. She's like, let's go loaf. She's like, alright. That's gonna be your nickname. I'm like, alright. So other than that, it's been loaf, big loaf, meatloaf, anything loaf.

So Do you like eating meatloaf?

I'm not a big fan,

What do you recall from that Alabama game and how that experience was like?

I mean, it was a fun experience going there and playing against Alabama in a home field. I mean, Nick Saban is Nick Saban, so yeah, it's awesome, but I mean, there's really nothing much to it. It's like, it was an exciting experience and we believed in our coach, like I said, and we came out with the victory.

Do you ever go against Kelvin Banks in practice?

No, I'm an interior guy.

Yeah, but anytime where like it's a double team stuff and you're at the 3-tech

About Kelvin Banks, he's definitely gonna be the first tackle off the board next year. 100%.
Do you think Alfred Collins can play at the zero tech or the one shade?

Alfred Collins can do everything. I feel like a lot of people sleep on Alfred Collins. Bull crap. He's a great guy and he's gonna do awesome things this year and I can't wait to watch him.

At what point in Texas do you guys feel like, you got a special group here, we got a lot of talent.

Actually, the past offseason, before the season. We went into the offseason knowing what we had. Knowing what we got, and we took every advantage of it that our coach gave us. We all believed, we all came together, we built a culture, and we came out with the outcome we did.

What about Ewers? How much of that was when being an older guy, having a year under his belt?

It actually It helps a lot. We had leadership meetings where we sat there. We had talked to Quinn and we was like, Quinn, you're our quarterback. We need you to be that vocal leader. And that's what he did. And I know he's killing even more now because confidence there. I mean, y'all see Quinn is GOATed. So I can't wait to watch him play either. I really can't. I can't wait to watch all those guys play.

How would you and Murphy push each other?

I will just talk about that. Uh, what helped us this season was of course, the guys next to us, a hundred percent, I feel like that's where a lot of. People like, Oh, how about you and Byron Murphy? You know? Yeah, us. But y'all not thinking about the Alfred Collins or the Vernon Broughton or the, uh, Barryn Sorrell or the Burke.Y'all not thinking about those guys, but those guys compete as hard as we compete. You know? And I feel like I, I like to say their name because a lot of people don't. It is all like, Oh, Murphy or Sweat. Yeah, it's us, but we can't just do it by our dang self, you know what I mean? So, I give all credit to the guy that was next to us.

Yeah, but who's the better receiver between you and Byron?

Uh, I mean, you're looking at him.

Byron said he played running back, you know, going up.

He actually did, he showed me. I, uh, I didn't believe him at first. I was like, you gotta show me, and he showed me.

He's the better runner, you're the better receiver?

I mean, I wouldn't say better, you know. That's my dog.

What do you like to do for a hobby?

Right, I mean, as y'all know, I live in Austin. Got a lot of rich friends. To be honest, you know, I like to go on to big lake houses. So, I like to just go out on the lake or play my video game.

Who are some of the players in the NFL that you like to model your game after?

Big Suh, and Fletcher Cox.

When you're doing these meetings with teams and you're talking how much is Body language, something that you think about ... how you're holding yourself. Is that something that agents coach you on or other outside?

I mean, I feel like you shouldn't really have to be coached on that. I mean, me, I'm also going to be myself as y'all know. I'm myself period point blank period. I'm always going to be myself and just, just me, you know, but I feel like it's ... I mean, you wouldn't want your coach, like say, if I walk into a meeting room and coach Bo Davis was sitting in there, his seat back relaxing, you know, we'd be like, come on coach. You know what I'm saying? So that's how we, I mean, that's how people should go about it. That's how I go about it. Like I think of it as a job interview and I want to just go up in there and be slouching, you know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News