ADVERTISEMENT

Keondre Coburn and Demarvion Overshown from the Combine on the NFL Draft, Kelvin Banks, Babies on the Way and Much More (via MyPerfectFranchise.Net)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or are you an experienced entrepreneur wanting to diversify? Well, Andy Luedecke can help! Andy is a long time Orangebloods member, diehard Longhorn and franchise veteran, having owned multiple franchises and businesses. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Andy, put your life and career in your own hands. 100% free, so what do you have to lose?!!
Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net
Orangebloods Owned! Contact Andy Luedecke (aka @MyPerfectFranchise.Net) anytime at:
aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net
(404) 973-9901
www.myperfectfranchise.net
image_from_ios.jpg

Texas defensive linemen Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo were scheduled to meet with the national media on Wednesday morning for NFL combine interviews, along with LB Demarvion Overshown. Unfortunately, Ojomo -- coming off a week at the Shrine Bowl in Las Vegas -- got "held up in his medical tests" per a member of the NFL's PR staff and had to miss his availability. We currently don't have any word on what that may be about, but it shouldn't necessarily be cause for alarm as NFL Combine testing is known to be stringent and nit-picky. As the most important aspect (by far) of the event, making sure that medicals are thorough takes priority over every other aspect on the event schedule.

With that said, Overshown and Coburn did have the chance to "meet the press," so to say, and both gave insightful interviews about their draft processes, their times at the University of Texas and what the future could hold in Austin under Steve Sarkisian among other topics:

DEMARVION OVERSHOWN

overshown-combine-copy.jpg

Q: Have you met with the Texans?

A: I met with them at the Reese's Senior Bowl, not here yet, but I have spoke to them quite a few times.

Q: What would it mean to play for Demeco Ryans?

A: The way he is with defensive guys and putting them in the right positions at the right times -- it's hard not to see what he's done when you're a part of his system and it would be an honor. And then, just being close to home. That wouldn't be so bad, either.

Q: What went into the decision to go back to Texas?

A: I felt like I had a lot to prove. I left a lot on the field my junior and senior year. In my fifth year, I was able to show more versatility -- bigger, get more comfortable at playing the linebacker position, it really helped my stock and my team as well.

Q: Position change from safety to linebacker:

A: Well, where the game is going with linebackers these days, it's a lot about sideline-to-sideline speed. You need guys to cover the great tight ends in this game in this age and my transition from S to LB helps that. It allows me to play on any defense in the NFL with my versatility as far as playing in the box, playing in space -- you don't have to put a little guy in there to guard TEs ... It's really hard to find big guys who can move in space so I feel like the game is definitely changing and is going to see a lot of linebackers like that in the near future.

Q: Any players you model your game after?

A: I look at Darius Leonard (Colts). He came in as an undersized linebacker and people and people wondered if he was gonna be able to play but he's balling. He's going to be a legend one day. Micah Parsons, I like him -- just being able to spin down and rush the passer and Fred Warner is another I loved to watch while I was in college.

Q: Have you met with Bucs?

A: No I haven't.

Q: Have you met with the Cowboys?

A: I've met with them a lot. Dan Quinn, I see him a lot around the Texas facilities. Being able to chop it up with him at formal interviews and the Reese's Senior Bowl - that defense is amazing being able to play along with some of those guys.

Q: Was it good meetings overall with Dallas?

A: Great. Really just watched my film. They talked about how they loved my relentless effort and it's a lot they can do with me in that system.

Q: What could you learn from Micah Parsons and Demarcus Lawrence?

A: Being able to verstaile, pass rush on certain downs, have teams game-plan for you, basically because you're able to do so much.

Q: How did coaching changes at Texas affect you?

A: It was one of these things where you have to be a team player. It's more about the team than what is happening in the front office and that's true anywhere you go. It actually helped me in the long run. You never know when coaches will come and go, so just learning all those systems, being used to being uncomfortable in new situations where you have to re-learn, but you take it all in because it's from guys who've had experience everywhere. At that point it's just gaining more knowledge.

Q: Did going against Bijan in practice help prepare you for the NFL?

A: Definitely, iron sharpens iron. That guy is special. I can't wait to see where he winds up, I can't wait to see him dominate this league because the stuff I've seen in practice, a lot of people didn't even get to see on game day. He's a special player. Natural god-given talent that you can't coach.

Q: Were you a multi-sport athlete in high school?

A: Oh yes. Baseball, track, basketball, I lived off sports -- that was my family: sports?

Q: Your favorite besides football?

A: Baseball. I was a heck of a baseball player. I played every position.

Q: How many teams have you met with in Indy?

A: Yesterday I had 7 formal interviews and I have three today.

Q: Who did you meet with?

A: Washington, New England, Jets, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit.

Q: How was the Cowboys meeting?

A: Great, I got to meet with Dan Quinn, and from what it looked like to me, he loved me. The Cowboys, being so close to home, growing up around so many Cowboys fans, that's always been a dream. We put on my film, I was able to learn a lot. Hopefully we keep those conversations going.

Q: What was the biggest transition from Chris Ash to Pete Kwiatkowski as DC at Texas?

A: The first year (2021), PK was more of a quarters-vision-type of guy so we were playing more soft coverage, but Chris Ash was more like match -- like quarters match, like we played last year (2022). Let's get hands on, let's get in guys' face, so it was a lot of the same-old, same-old, but I feel it was more physical this past year with PK.

Q: How often did you play against Junior Angilau?

A: A lot. we came in together. Junior was always a dog, still is. I'm actually happy to see what he's going to do at Oregon. But he's strong, always a big hit when we went against each other.

Q: What made him so tough to go against?

A: Just his mental side. How he came into the game. You weren't going to take him out. He wasn't going to get tired and he was going to go hard every play. How smart he was. He knew what every OL was supposed to be doing that play, if anyone needed help -- he was the guy you could call on.

Q: Were you surprised he didn't come back to Texas?

A: I feel like that was a Junior and a Coach Sark thing. I feel like he knew what was best for him in the long run and and me being his friend and brother, I'm always going to root for him.

Q: How did the Senior Bowl help you?

A: I was able to showcase some things I wasn't able to showcase throughout the season. Using my hands, my long arms and just showing I can compete with some of the best players in America.

Q: Have you been comfortable in the interview process?

A: I have. That's one thing I enjoyed about the Senior Bowl. Getting to sit with all 32 teams and talk to them and get ready for this. And that's also the thing about Texas. There's cameras everywhere, media everywhere so kinda having that in my background is making this process a lot easier.

Q: Are you more comfortable in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense?

A: I have the versatility to fit in any defense. If that's a dime or will linebacker, even pass-rushing on third down.

Q: How does the SEC compare to the Big 12 in terms of talent? Does the Big 12 get slept on?

A: A lot. I feel like the Big 12 is up and down every year. You really don't know who's going to be the top dog because every team is good. You have got to come out and play every Saturday.

Q: Predictions on 40 time?

A: I'm hoping to run a sub-4.5, high-4.4.

Q: How do you feel about the future of the Longhorns?

A: Great. Just getting to see those young guys work. My pro day is March 9th, so I'll get to go back and see them, they're just about to start spring practice so I'm excited for them. Coach Sark has definitely got a plan and those guys trust him.

Q: You had two nicknames, Agent 0 and the Armband Bandit (sidenote: was he really called that?!!?!) are you going to have the armbands at the next level?

A: I don't know. I talked to Sean Payton yesterday and I don't know if he's going to be a fan of that. You never know.

Q: What's your favorite play to make?

A: I love coming from the backside making tackles. It's fun, it gives me the chance to make hard hits like I used to do at safety.

Q: Who will run a faster 40- Bijan or Roschon?

A: Whoooo. I don't know - it's gonna be a close race. I don't know. Close race. (laughing)

Q: Were you surprised that D'Shawn Jamison didn't get invited to the Combine?

A: I'm surprised at a lot of guys not here, it's just one of those things. When he gets an opportunity he's going to showcase his skillsand I feel like wherever he ends up, he's going to make his way onto a roster. The things he's able to do, he's gonna showcase why he belongs.

Q: What Texas player will we be talking about next year?

A: Jaylan Ford. He will be here next year and he's definitely going to have all the cameras on him.

Q: What's special about him?

A: He's a student of the game. His athletic ability. When he gets out here, he's going to test out of the water. I'm ready to see him play this year -- especially with the dominant defensive line that is coming back for Texas.

Q: If you could tell your younger self one message, what would it be?

A: Move to linebacker sooner.

Q: How many armbands did you wear on game day?

A: What game?

Q: I lost count.

A: The most I've ever worn is 16.

Q: Talk about Texas to the SEC.

A: They're going to be fine. We played against a lot of SEC schools and it wasn't a problem at all. What Sark has brought to the program, what he knows about the SEC, we're going to fit right in.

Q: Best trash-talker you ever played against?

A: Max Duggan. He was one guy that I loved to compete against because every year he was gonna talk and be a dog and back it up.

KEONDRE COBURN

coburn-combine-copy.jpg

Q: Did you weigh in yet?

A: We do that tomorrow.

Q: What about at the Shrine Game?

A: 344.

Q: Is that what you expect here?

A: Oh no, I'm gonna be lighter than that. Probably 335.

Q: Was that on purpose?

A: Yeah, I want to get my body right. Get myself in position to play at a level I'm going to want to play at consistently. So, the whole time while I was training, I was trying to lose weight the right way, not lose it to where I am weak. So, slowly. The Shrine Bowl was just in the middle of that process and just continuing on the journey.

Q: What is your ultimate weight goal?

A: 330s right now, I don't want to lose too much weight, I want to get to the league and talk to them about if they want me down or to stay right there. In the future, I plan to be lighter though, and be consistent in my weight. At Texas, I was too heavy every once in a while. I was inconsistent with that. I didn't like it. I prefer this weight right here. I feel good.

Q: What that you learned at Texas transfers best to the NFL?

A: I had two different HCs, two different DCs, three different DL coaches, so I know that process -- the business side. Plus, different styles, my first couple years I played in a 3-4, then we went to a 4-3. I know the value of each of those sides of the defense. I'm just gonna be a bull ready to take on those challenges.

Q: Is this how you always pictured this moment?

A: All this is just craziness. It's new to me. As a kid, growing up, watching with my brother and my dad, every part of this I'm enjoying. I'm soaking it in but at the same time I have to be a professional and represent myself, especially my University, too. In a couple of weeks, a couple of days, I'll probably look back and talk about it with my friends and teammates, it's all new to me.

Q: Have you pictured having your name called in the draft?

A: I've been watching videos and everyone reacts different. I don't know how I'll be, everyone reacts different. If I hear my name called, any organization that takes me, I'm just going to be happy for the opportunity.

Q: What traits are NFL teams going to see jump out on your tape?

A: How I can play the run, how I can pass rush too. They can see I give great effort, and again, I love this game. There are things I still need to work on, that's obvious that I'm not perfect - staying low and being consistent with my play - I have things to work on but I'm excited for this new part of the journey.

Q: Sark said he could feel you more in the pass rush this year, what changed?

A: Oh I made a BUNCH of changes. I had a great talk with Bo Davis. He had a real impact on my life. He changed me all the way around. After 2021, he was truthful with me about what I needed to get done to get (here). I'm so thankful he had that talk with me. I'm so thankful I took that advice. He taught me how to be consistent. I gave new looks. I cut my hair. A lot of people don't notice that, but I cut my hair. I got a better relationship with my girlfriend; I got closer to God. I changed my diet. Change my body size and things like that. To know -- if I'm going to be that dog I want to be on the field I need to make some changes and it starts with me first. And for that, I thank Coach Davis. He taught me how to pass rush in the way that I can, I learned how to react a little differently, it was a lot of things, but it all added up to me getting better.

Q: What is Junior Angilau like as an OL?

A: He's strong. He's so happy, throughout the whole practice, tired, not tired -- always a smile on his face. It was one of the best things to happen to me that we came in together. My dog forever, I'm so sad he had to leave Texas but he's gonna be doing great things at Oregon.

Q: Were you surprised he left?

A: Man, I don't know exactly what happened and it's not my business but I'm glad he found another University that will take him in and love to have him so I say all glory to Junior. Not all glory to Oregon, but all glory to Junior.

Q: Are you excited to see Texas get another shot at Alabama next year?

A: Any team on the schedule you should want to have a shot and take advantage. Our goal is to win. We have a bad taste in our mouth, but we played amazing in that game. We only lost by one point. You wish you could get it back. Now, they have the opportunity to go against Bama at their home, so how bout we do to them at their home what they did to us at our home?

Q: What Texas need to do to get a better pass rush?

A: Well, I feel like last year we showcased that we could get to the passer. That was always a downfall for us, but I feel like last year, we did. Could we get there a little more? Maybe we could have but all you can do is take lessons from that. They'll do better next year than last year. We got T'Vondre Sweat, we got (Alfred Collins), (Vernon Broughton), Byron Murphy who is a baller. You have Barryn Sorrell who showed he can get some sacks. Next year, they'll come back even better.

Q: What did you mean about cutting your hair as part of your changes?

A: I mean, I had hair here and there. It was cool to me, it got around pretty good. But I just felt like I needed to cut my hair. When I look in the mirror to see somebody new and know this person is like a second chance in life. I mean it looks nice right now! I'm looking good. My girl loves it. That's all that matters.

Q: What about your relationship with your improved relationship with your girlfriend you mentioned?

A: At the time I was by myself, dealing with my ex. Me and my girlfriend now, we have great relationship and I'm expecting a baby in May -- I mean that's another huge motivation for my changes. I can't wait to be the best dad I can.

Q: How much of a benefit was it to be a fifth-year senior?

A: It taught me the game a little better instead of leaving early. Well, I got my degree, so I can tell all my siblings now to go get your degree. Just the fact that I'm here today is just a blessing so I just enjoyed that final part of the process as more opportunity to grow.

Q: Could T'Vondre have come out this year?

A: Sweat is a hell of a player. Him coming out this year, it might not have hurt him, but another year could benefit him the same way it benefitted me. Another year with Bo Davis, he could be a top DL in the draft. It would have been good either way.

Q: What is it that makes Byron Murphy so good?

A: He's hungry. He made me work. He made me fall in love with football again. He gave me poise and competition. Seeing how he moved. He's so fast. I've never seen anyone that quick and fast. So in control with his body. He made me want to be the same as him. To play just as good as him. Seeing that young dude just ball the way he does and how good he is. I just try to be a mentor to him the best way I can. I just can't wait to see how his future goes.

Q: Best play in collegiate career?

A: The Kansas State play this year.

The play before that, I almost got through and almost got (Adrian Martinez). I don't know how he got out of that, he just got out and he completed a pass for a first down on fourth down. I was tired, I was gassed. That Kansas State weather was cold at the time and weird, it would take the air out of you. I could see myself thinking "it's time to sub," and it was my first time ever to ask for a sub because it was WEIRD. And then, Coach Davis said, stay in that game and I got back in my stance and I executed and got a strip fumble and the game was ended so that's the best play. It shows I got up and went through everything I was feeling at the time to play through it and I made a play. Thanks to God for putting me in position to make that play.

Q: What is it like going against Kelvin Banks in practice?

A: That young dude right there is TALENTED. Very talented. I expect him to be here (at the combine) in two years. I expect him to be the first pick in two years. That kid right there is so poised. He knows what he wants and he wants to dominate. The first time we played, we went against each other and I beat him. I was so happy I beat him because I saw all the other people lose to him. He's so good and so young.

Q: Did you talk to Joseph Ossai (about his costly penalty in the Bengals AFC Championship game)?

A: I talked to him right after the game and I said hey man you had a great season. Think about it, Joe's first year he was hurt. So, this was Joe's comeback year and he came knocking for the stuff he did in college, he's a hustler, he comes for the ball. Games end the way they end. If something like that happened to me, I wouldn't expect anyone to come get on me. I don't think that play was the play that cost them the game. I just tell him to keep his head up, he had a hell of a game, so, you keep your head up -- next year, you know, you get another chance and I feel like Joe's gonna ball out next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News