ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Can Quinn replace Colt at No.2?)

Chicken My Body Is Ready GIF by giphystudios2021
Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

• Haha
Reactions: 60
He was the conference championship game MVP, beat Alabama on the road and led his team into the playoffs.

That's not the same as Young and Street, but it's close to the other guys.
Got to agree on on the basis of team's results. hope he reaches the level of mental toughness those others guys had.

Reactions: Ketchum
@Ketchum - Thanks for the Toni Price reference. Haven't thought of her for a a few years. Back in the late 2000s, we'd play/sing "West Texas Lullaby" to put our young daughters to sleep at night. Time for a TP spin again!

@Ketchum - Thanks for the Toni Price reference. Haven't thought of her for a a few years. Back in the late 2000s, we'd play/sing "West Texas Lullaby" to put our young daughters to sleep at night. Time for a TP spin again!
Oh yeah, I played that for them when they were in the NICU as babies and throughout their early years.

Reactions: Robrasta
Again not trying to diminish Shipley. He's a Horn legend IMO. But did Colt have an NFL 1st rd and a 2nd rd receiver on his team in 08 and 09? Please give Worthy and Mitchell some credit here too.

Let me ask you this. Imagine Colt on that last drive against Washington with Worthy, Mitchell and Sanders. Do we lose? Do we lose to OU? I don't think so.
Colt wasn’t Colt until his Jr year. He was ok as a frosh with a superbly talented roster. Pretty trash as a Soph. Quinn was waaaaay better as a Soph than Colt was.

Great article but I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills in regards to QE.

I'm not going to pretend I know pre 90's stuff as far as QB rankings, so I'll stick with what my eyes have seen.

VY----------Colt----------Brown--Major-Ehlinger-ASH!!!-Simms-QE

Maybe its my unreasonable expectations, but dude looks like a high level game manager at best rather than a guy that is well....the guy. His monster games are USUALLY blowouts and even then its Worthy making great plays, Bijan going off, AD making highlight plays. I've seen Ash with far (to put it kindly) less talent go off and win games and or take over moments and keep us in games. I don't mean to imply QE us a bum or even mid, but the talent he's had, and the lack IMO of strong games is odd for him.

He's thrown the 9th most passes and is 8th in yards and TD's with 5 first two round picks at skill positions on offence. He seems closer to a super charged Shane Buechele than a Sam Bradford, or even Dillon Gabriel.

• Haha
Reactions: horns--21

I'm not going to pretend I know pre 90's stuff as far as QB rankings, so I'll stick with what my eyes have seen.

Maybe its my unreasonable expectations, but dude looks like a high level game manager at best rather than a guy that is well....the guy. His monster games are USUALLY blowouts and even then its Worthy making great plays, Bijan going off, AD making highlight plays. I've seen Ash with far (to put it kindly) less talent go off and win games and or take over moments and keep us in games. I don't mean to imply QE us a bum or even mid, but the talent he's had, and the lack IMO of strong games is odd for him.

He's thrown the 9th most passes and is 8th in yards and TD's with 5 first two round picks at skill positions on offence. He seems closer to a super charged Shane Buechele than a Sam Bradford, or even Dillon Gabriel.
That's a hell of a 7th post.

Reactions: Tayeri34

Anybody with Major as the 4th best Texas QB automatically has their opinion invalidated. Come on now. Sam Ehlinger was way better than Major in literally every way. Major didn’t have a single season better than Quinn’s sophomore year.

Agreed on Ash, had he not had the injury issues I thought he had some real potential.

Why the OU QB comparisons there, sir? 🤔

Ketch as usual great 10 thoughts.
As for quarterbacks Vince is number 1 & big drop to number 2 I love Colt but not in same universe as Vince. If Quinn has a big year he could get to number 3 as kind of hard to compare today's numbers to what Layne & Street produced that many years ago. I guess another question is how high Manning can go in his hopefully 2 years at UT.
The team is really set up to be very good 2024 & 2025 but I believe Sark is the man & I expect us to be a top 10 team for a long time.
Big shoutout to both the softball team & to all the other great programs 14 titles is outstanding.
On your song list I never heard of her I did listen to a few of your top songs & she had a great voice I am not a big music guy so hard for me to judge but I see lots of posters said she was great.

As for quarterbacks Vince is number 1 & big drop to number 2 I love Colt but not in same universe as Vince. If Quinn has a big year he could get to number 3 as kind of hard to compare today's numbers to what Layne & Street produced that many years ago. I guess another question is how high Manning can go in his hopefully 2 years at UT.
The team is really set up to be very good 2024 & 2025 but I believe Sark is the man & I expect us to be a top 10 team for a long time.
Big shoutout to both the softball team & to all the other great programs 14 titles is outstanding.
On your song list I never heard of her I did listen to a few of your top songs & she had a great voice I am not a big music guy so hard for me to judge but I see lots of posters said she was great.
Arch will be #1 after back to back natties 😉

@Ketchum Thanks for answering the Tom Landry B/S.
Any reason why UT hasn’t given him more recognition or a statue? This man is a legend and we should be celebrating him.

When Colt came back for his junior year it sure looked like he hit the weights hard and all of sudden his passes actually had a little zip on them - far fewer floaters - and he could break the a tackle to buy time to get a pass off or make a few extra yards. Colt was noticeably more effective.

There's a Grand Canyon size gap between VY and the rest.

When Colt came back for his junior year it sure looked like he hit the weights hard and all of sudden his passes actually had a little zip on them - far fewer floaters - and he could break the a tackle to buy time to get a pass off or make a few extra yards. Colt was noticeably more effective.
2008 Colt >>>>>>> 2007 Colt

Absolutely this! I went into the season not that hopeful and after game 1, thought we could win it all. Colt was an absolutely different player that year. Physically and mentally

Reactions: Touchstone
lol. wut?
At his peak, Major had 200 yards passing every time he played a full game. The only thing that kept him from having an All-American senior season was the controversy with Chris Simms. I personally think he'd have been a Heisman contender if he had started every game that year. It was a rough time for Coach Mack, as everyone was really trying to push Simms to be the starter.

Reactions: Ketchum
Colt wasn’t Colt until his Jr year. He was ok as a frosh with a superbly talented roster. Pretty trash as a Soph. Quinn was waaaaay better as a Soph than Colt was.
Valid point. Ketch's framework was comparing IF QE took off this year, what would it take to be considered > Colt. For that, I'm comparing Colt's best 2 seasons to QE last year and this upcoming one as we all assume QE goes pro after this yr.

Colt in his JR year >>>>>> than QE in his SOPH year. So for QE to surpass Colt, QE's JR year must be >>>>>> than Colt's SR year where Colt took his team to a NC game. That's a lot of ground for QE to make up and a very high bar to top in this upcoming season.

Makes it more unlikely than likely to IMO. But I'd love it if QE did because that's a Natty and a FUN season.

Reactions: Hookem9642
At his peak, Major had 200 yards passing every time he played a full game. The only thing that kept him from having an All-American senior season was the controversy with Chris Simms. I personally think he'd have been a Heisman contender if he had started every game that year. It was a rough time for Coach Mack, as everyone was really trying to push Simms to be the starter.
The thing that kept him from being an All-American as a senior was his limitations as a player.

It was those limitations that pushed the coaches to shoot for the stars with Simms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT