ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Max Wittek, come on down)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Johann+Sebastian+Bach+730bach.jpg

Max Wittek, come on down.

If there was any second-guessing from the USC-transfer-to-be about his leaning towards Texas as his likely destination at any point over the last month because of the advantages that returning junior quarterback David Ash might have had after 15 practices as the starting quarterback in spring workouts, those concerns likely went up in smoke this week with the news of Ash's Jones Fracture.

One of the great complications about this upcoming season for the Longhorns is that it's just impossible to believe that Ash can give Texas a full 12 games as a starter after the last couple of years and there's just not a lot of protection currently on the roster to ensure that the position wouldn't fall into the ocean if Ash was forced to miss any time at all.

That concern was highlighted with the news that Ash will have to sit out all workouts for the next couple of months, while the bone in his left foot heals. If all goes well, he might have a few weeks to get himself back in the swing of things before the start of summer camp, but that's just one of the many layers to this situation.

The only bottom line that matters is that the Longhorns are scheduled to go into the season with an injury-prone junior that is potentially one hit away from not playing any more if he suffers another concussion in 2014 and to make matters worse, nobody can say with certainty that he's good enough as a player to ride for 12 games in a pursuit of something significant.

Deep down, you have to know that there will be a moment when Ash is unavailable and if the Longhorns are forced to lean on sophomore Tyrone Swoopes or freshman Jerrod Heard, all bets on what this team can accomplish this season are off the board. Swoopes needs a redshirt season that he was not allowed to have a season ago for reasons that only Mack Brown knows and Heard might very-well be ready to play, but that's a hell of a thing to expect from a guy before he's even taken a single rep in practice.

Suddenly, Wittek doesn't feel like a luxury. The Longhorns wouldn't be putting hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk by landing the former starter for the Trojans, as much as they would be giving themselves a Get Out Of Jail Free Card. After this weekend, this is a team that really needs that Get Out Of Jail Free Card after all four years in maximum-security quarterback prison.

Meanwhile, Wittek has to be licking his chops after watching Ash lose any chance to take a serious step forward in any head-to-head against him. Whatever happens on Saturday in the spring game, one of the things Wittek will not see is Ash creating a buzz or gaining momentum with a big performance in front of a big crowd. Whatever happens over the next couple months, Wittek knows that Ash won't be gaining separation from him while his head is in the books because Ash will simply be trying to get a clean bill of health.

The door is wide open for Wittek at this point. If he chooses not to open it, new Texas offensive coordinator Shawn Watson better be on top of his coaching A-game because he might find that his first season in Austin as the quarterbacks coach is as tricky as any season he's ever had.

Hell, it might already be headed that way … with or without Wittek.

The Ash injury was a sobering reminder of that.

No. 2 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns …

… The closer we get to August, the more and more I'm buying the idea of playing Jerrod Heard right away and potentially giving him the job if he can show up in August and give the coaches any reason to believe he's the best option they can put on the field. Hey, it's possible it'll be as clear as night that he needs to redshirt when he gets into practices, but I think he can be as good as Chuckie Keaton was at Utah State a few seasons ago. Actually, Heard reminds me of a more explosive-running version of Keaton.

… Random thought: I wonder what gripe Texas fans will have about the coaching staff by the end of the year? It doesn't matter if its Nick Saban or Les Miles or whomever, every fan-base has some thing that drives it crazy. Remember when Mack Brown wouldn't play freshmen early in his tenure? People complained about that for a decade after it truly stopped being an issue. So, what is going to be the thing this staff does that irks everyone? I have a feeling it's going to be some type of Shawn Watson play-call.

… If Kendall Sanders, Marcus Johnson, Jaxon Shipley and Jacorey Warrick get the help from the quarterback position, they have the talent to be one of the top three wide receiver units in the conference. Oh, and that's before my man Armanti Foreman shows up and makes the unit even more dynamic.

… I don't know what to make out of JUCO transfer Blake Whiteley. On one hand, he caught eight passes for 67 yards last season for Arizona Western Community College and on the other hand he caught 76 passes for 1,228 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior in West Vancouver. While there is positive buzz surrounding Whiteley this weekend, it's simply hard for me to take the bait after all these seasons of drought at the position. If I set the over/under on receptions this season at 18.5, are you taking the over, which translates to about just over 1.5 per game? I can't go that far yet, which says a lot about what's been going on at tight end for a long time.

… On the other hand, if you set the number of sacks for Shiro Davis this season at 6.5, I'll take the over. Davis is the most quietly close to being a very good player in the program that people are sleeping on in my mind.

… One true freshman that I have a sneaking suspicion might play next fall is offensive lineman Alex Anderson. It just feels like it might be an "all-hands-on-deck" kind of season along the offensive line.

No. 3 - The Big 12 conference race took shape this weekend …

Not even the rain could slow down Augie Garrido and Co. this weekend in Norman.

Or a blown first-game lead. Or extra innings. Or especially anything after Friday night when the Longhorns won the final two games of the series by a combined score of 15-3.

Going into the weekend, Oklahoma fancied itself as a challenger to the Longhorns and coming out of it the Sooners just don't want to see any more burnt orange this season if they don't have to.

In the process of watching the Longhorns (9-3 in Big 12 play) win their seventh straight Big 12 game on Sunday and taking a one-game lead over Oklahoma State (8-4) and a two-game lead over third-place TCU (7-5), it occurred to me just how narrow the window of success is for the Longhorns each year because of the program's pedigree.

This team could win out and go on a 27-game winning streak (or so) heading into the Super Regionals, but if this club doesn't get to Omaha, few that follow the program religiously would consider it a successful season.

That's the hard core bottom line when you're the Alabama football or Kentucky basketball of the college baseball world.

The good news is if they keep playing near-.800 ball, they'll almost certainly have a chance to host any and all post-season games they see leading up to Omaha. There's no question that this team has graduated from very good team to very, very good team, but it is truly great?

In Austin that question simply can't be answered in a three-game series in Norman. Those rhetorical questions only become answerable in June.

No. 4 - Close, but no cigar …

At the ripe, young age of 20, Jordan Speith learned a lesson about life on Sunday … sometimes you just don't have it .

It happens.

With history staring him in the face, Spieth didn't blink as much as he just didn't soar on a day when Bubba Watson took flight. Going into the final round, the general thinking from many was that the Ex-Longhorn would either shoot a 67 or 77, yet there really weren't any extremes on a day when he shot 72 in the championship round.

Actually, he was pretty damn good, but he just wasn't better than the one guy that won the tournament. As fate often has it in sports, the difference between emerging as an iconic participant in history and finishing second is just a few bounces, a lip-out or the other guy being slightly … by a stroke or two … just the better man.

In the future, Spieth will be the better man in these situations quite often and he'll likely win a major or three in the process, perhaps as soon as this season. It just didn't happen today.

I hope he doesn't detest second-place enough to lose sight of what really happened this week, which was his window of challenging for major championships opening wide and sports fans everywhere learning how to pronounce his name correctly.

Everyone knows his name now.

No. 5 - The NBA's dream of all dreams …

I decided to break out my calculator this weekend.

The target? 38,387. That's Kareem's all-time scoring mark that has stood the test of time, well, it's stood 25 years since he retired without anyone getting within so much as 1,400 points of him.

In fact, only five men in NBA history have broken the 30,000-point mark, which is basically the 600 home run plateau in Major League Baseball ? Jabbar, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Wilt Chamberlin … that's it.

With Kevin Durant putting the finishing touches on a historically brilliant season on way to what might be a close to unanimous first regular-season MVP, I wanted to take another look at a prediction I first made a couple of years ago, which stated that Durant will not only pass Kareem, but also become the first 40,000-point scorer in the history of the league.

Let's take a look at the updated math:

Through his first seven seasons in the NBA, Durant has scored 14,746 points and with three games to go, he'll likely finish the season in the neighborhood of 14,830 points. His scoring averages the last five seasons have been 30.1, 27.7, 28.0, 28.1 and 31.9 points per game. For his career, he averages 27.4 points per game on .480/.378/.882 shooting splits.

He's 25 and will soon be a four-time scoring champion.

With the prime of his career approaching, here's what things might look like if he averages 30 points per game and 75 games played for the next five seasons (Note: He's never played fewer than 74 games in his six full NBA seasons): 2,250 points X 5 seasons = 11,250 points. That would put him in the ball park of 26,000 points on the dot, which would rank 14th all-time in the league.

If we extend that level of play two more seasons, Durant will be the sixth player in the history of the league to reach the 30,000-point mark and he'll have done it at the age of 32, while Kareem (36), Malone (36), Jordan (38), Bryant (34) and Chamberlin (35) all needed at least two more years to get there.

Considering that Jordan and Bryant both averaged 27+ points per game at the age of 34, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that Durant might average between 27-28 points per game at the age of 33 and 34, which means that if he averaged 27.5 points per game and played an average of 75 games in both seasons, he'd be sitting in the neighborhood of 4,000 points from Kareem and 6,000 points away from 40,000 points.

Again, that's at the age of 34, which means that if he stays healthy (obviously a major factor in this leap of projections I'm making), he's moonwalking to both numbers with ease because Durant feels like a guy that will play as long as he possibly can. Hell, you could probably sneak in a major injury into his career at some point and it doesn't change the fact that if he's able to come back healthy from the injury, he'll be within striking distance of Kareem in his mid-30s.

Interesting enough, if he can stay healthy, there might only be one thing that could stand in Durant's way of an easy run on Kareem as the most offensive-skilled player of perhaps any generation … LeBron James.

Consider that James currently has 23,143 points in his career and will likely finish in the ballpark of 23,225 points at the age of 29. In the last five seasons, James has averaged 29.7, 26.7, 27.1, 26.8 and 27.1 points per game.

Only once in 11 NBA seasons has he failed to play in at least 75 games, so if we project him to average 27.0 points per game and 75 games for the next five seasons through the age of 34, he'll be sitting in the neighborhood of 34,500, which is basically the same territory that Durant finds himself in (James averages 27.5 points per game in his career and Durant averages 27.4).

However, James hasn't hit his career average in scoring per game in any of the last four seasons, which means that it's realistic to believe that as he continues to age his scoring will trend down from 27.0 points per game, especially when you consider that James takes so much pride in ball distribution.

Regardless of the numbers, those will be prime years and barring health issues, it's hard to imagine LeBron averaging less than 25 points per game, so we're probably safe with the ballpark 27.0 average for the next five years, since it nearly perfectly matches his last four.

Like Durant, if you assume that LeBron can stay healthy and plays into his late 30s, it's hard to believe that he won't make a charge at Kareem and it might even be likely that he could pass Kareem when he approaches the age of 37, which would be right around the time Durant is approaching the 32-34,000 mark in his own right.

Yes, we're a long way from any of this realizing itself, but how much fun is it going to be if LeBron and Durant can stay healthy and realize their optimal greatness, thus challenging each other for MVPs, championships and eventually the all-time scoring mark in the process. If they can meet up in the post-season a few more times, it has a chance to be the closest thing the league will ever know to another Magic/Bird run.

Get your 15-year supply of popcorn ready.

No. 6 - Something to chew on …

Not since Earl Campbell was given a yellow jacket back in 1991 has a former Texas Longhorn athlete been inducted into one of the big three Hall of Fames in American team sports ? NFL, MLB and Naismith Memorial.

The only other Longhorns to walk through the doors of those Hall of Fames as inductees are Tom Landry (NFL HOF Class of 1990), Bobby Layne (NFL Hall of Fame Class of 1967) and Slater Martin (Naismith HOF Class of 1982).

As incredible as it is, that's it … four (Jody Conradt was inducted into the Naismith HOF in 1998 as a Longhorn coach, but she's not a former athlete).

I bring all of this up because a case can be made that the number could double over the course of the next two decades based on the work of three former UT athletes from the last decade and another from three decades ago.

Consider the cases…

Kevin Durant/Basketball

Headed for all-time great status, you could make a case that he would get in today if his career ended suddenly, supported by his four scoring titles and soon-to-be first MVP campaign.

Lamarcus Aldridge/Basketball

You've probably never considered the possibility, but Aldridge has three all-star game appearances and could be approaching 20,000+ points before his career is over. If he can land another two or three all-star game appearances and play well into his early 30s, he's going to out himself into the discussion when he retires. Seriously.

Roger Clemens/Baseball

Eventually, they have to let the guys suspected of steroids in … right? Right?

Earl Thomas/Football

You might think I'm out of my mind because Thomas is going to need another four or five seasons of incredible play, but he's universally regarded as one of the top handful of defensive players in the game and is on a three-year streak of All-Pro seasons. The fact that he already has helped lead his team to a Super Bowl only elevates his case later down the road. The last DB to make the Hall is Aeneas Williams, who has eight Pro Bowls bids and four All-Pro years, but never won anything of significance. Four more big-time seasons and Thomas is going to be knocking on the door.

Bonus candidate

Casey Hampton/Football

As a five-time Pro Bowl selection and a two-time Super Bowl winner, Hampton might have to wait until the veteran's committee votes him in, but he's the heart and soul of this era's Steelers. He didn't play a position of glamour, but that might aid his cause.

Why hasn't this happened already?

Tommy Nobis/Football

Come on Veteran's Committee, what the hell are you waiting for? The man was a five-time Pro Bowl selection that was a member of the NFL team of the 1960s and a player that was so feared that Larry Csonka once said, "I'd rather play against Dick Butkus than Nobis."

No. 7 - Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

… Nothing was better this weekend than Bo Pelini bringing his cat with him to the Nebraska spring game.

taoacgA.gif

… In a fight that I had been greatly anticipating all week, Manny Pacquiao solidly beat Timothy Bradley over 12 rounds and left me with mixed feelings. First of all, the fight was truly sensational for the first six rounds before Bradley started to fade, as I had the fight scored evenly through the first 18 minutes. Even with the fade, I thought Bradley was impressive in losing and pretty much felt like we saw the best that Pacquiao has let in the tank, as he displayed world-class skill, but … there's always a but … BUT … Pacquiao's KO ability is done. He's just not a finisher anymore and it has to be mentioned on a night when he was doing everything he could to land a knockout. The 2009 Pacquiao would have been hell on wheels for Floyd Mayweather, but not anymore. I still want to see the fight.

… Of course, how in the hell was Bradley supposed to win that fight when Pacquiao's mom was putting evil curses on him while sitting ringside?

e10qpq.gif

… My NBA 2013-14 Regular Season MVP medal stand: 1. Kevin Durant 2. LeBron James 3. Joakim Noah

… I get the sense the Mavericks are going to be a handful in the first-round of the playoffs.

… Now that Major League Baseball has instant replay, it's hard to imagine it took this long.

… I will strangle any of you that attempt to wake Chase Utley from his current zone. His season thus far: 20 for 40 with 6 2B, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 5 BB and 2 SO.

… Walk-off of the week? Jimmy Rollins hit a walk-off with a home run in the bottom of the 10th inning on Saturday night against Miami and then he had a few words for one of the locales. Only in Philly …

ezgif-save1.gif

No. 8 - Game of Thrones Recap: Season Four, Episode Two

Two episodes in and I'm already upset about the 10-episode season. It's like getting a one-hour massage … as soon as you get on the table, you start thinking about the clock.

Come on, HBO. Give us more. MOAR!!!!!!

**************SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!**************

I'M SERIOUS.

I REPEAT, I'M SERIOUS

**************SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!**************

a. Ramsey is all kinds of messed up in the head. I don't know how much more I can take of this dude. Am I actually going to end up rooting for Theon before this season is over? It's starting to feel possible.

b. Yes, I am officially rooting for Jaime. I feel like a sonofabitch, but I don't care.

c. If Game of Thrones was the WWE, we'd have a Ramsey/Kingslayer headline at next year's WrestleMania.

d. Damn you, Tywin. How in the hell could you give that sword to Joffrey's punk-ass? The hate meter just went up a notch and I wasn't sure that was possible.

e. Shea thinks Game of Thrones is Pretty Woman… girl… this ain't Pretty Woman. You better quit crying and get on that damn boat.

f. Sir Davos would make one hell of an Orangebloods poster now that he knows how to read.

g. Oh hell, Joffrey is about to make an ass out of himself…

h. Cersei is on the warpath. Watch out, ALL WOMEN!!!!!!

i. Here comes Joffrey…

j. Stay classy, King's Landing.

k. Die! Die! Die! Die!

l. Wowowowowowowowowowowowowow

**************END OF SPOILER ALERT!!!! END OF SPOILER ALERT!!!!**************

No. 9 - Pop goes the culture because the culture goes pop …

… Hottie of the Weekend: Candice does it again

… Weirdness in the Desert: Outkast was back this weekend in concert at Coachella. They got cut-off.

… Thigh-gap Gate: Beyonce in the middle of photo-shop scandal

… Young Love: Selena just can't quit her little man

… Miley Link of the Weekend: Liam Hemsworth Might Regret His Split from Miley After Reading This

… Pirates of the Courtroom.: Johnny Depp Might Have to Testify in a Murder Trial

… Fake Drake: This is actually fairly humorous

… You Don't Say: 25 things about Mad Max you never knew

… The Perfect Woman: Survey says men and women want different things in a woman

rs_560x439-140410105334-perfect_body_female_bluebella.jpg

No. 10 - The List: Johann Sebastian Bach (Listen Via Spotify)

I'm signaling from the very beginning that the white towel is out for this impossible task. When just about everything a man produces is considered a masterpiece and the overall number of work pieces is more than 1,100 … well … you do what you can because the fact that I spent two full weeks listening to Bach means nothing in terms of the assignment of carving out a definitive top 10 list.

Therefore, I'm going to do my very best to represent the man the best I can with a list that includes some of his most iconic work, along with some of my own personal favorites (p.s. - I might have to do a Hilary Hahn list at some point … I love her).

No two lists on Bach will look the same, but here's my attempt at a respectable attempt. Let's get on with it.

Last five songs out: Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben

10. The St Matthew Passion, BWV 244 Part II

It feels like the angels are singing to me.

9. Partita for solo violin No. 3 in E major, BWV 1006.

I fell in love with this piece after listening to my favorite. Hilary Hahn.

8. Jesus bleibet meine Freude" BWV 147

The final movement in a 10-movement church cantana that could easily be at the top of the list.

7. Cello Concerto in C-Minor

Just an exquisite piece of music.

6. Violin Concerto in A minor , BWV 1041

One of my favorite violin concertos that Bach produced.

5. Toccata and Fugue in D minor

It's not his best piece of work, but it is arguably his most famous piece of work and certainly his most famous organ work. If I put my organ bias aside (my least favorite of the Bach collection), this piece has to be on the list somewhere.

4. Goldberg Variations

From an e-mailer this week: "You MUST hear the 1981 Glenn Gould recording, one of the most acclaimed of all classical records. Flawless artistry and imagination." He was right.

3. Ouverture No. 3 in D Major "Air" BWV 1068

One of Bach's most famous works.

2. Cello Suite No.1 - Preclude

Again one of the most famous pieces of music in the history of the world. This version from 1985 won Yo-Yo Ma won a Grammy. Amazingly, this group of suites was mostly unknown until the last 80 years, as they were originally thought to be restricted to studies before Catalan cellist Pablo Casals solved the puzzle and put the piece to a record.

1. Partita in D minor for solo violin

Considered by many to be one of the finest pieces of music ever written for the violin and I absolutely love Hilary Hahn's rendition.

Archives List

Blues/Jazz: Listen via Spotify )

Classical: Listen via Spotify)

Electronic: Listen Via Spotify

Funk: Listen Via Spotify (Part II ? After Hours))

Metal: Metallica

Pop: Listen via Spotify )

Punk: Listen via Spotify)

Random: My Number 1's on Spotify

Rap: Listen via Spotify),

R&B: Listen via Spotify)

Reggae: Listen via Spotify)

Rock: Listen via Spotify )
and Listen via Spotify )

This post was edited on 4/14 8:57 AM by Ketchum

Reactions: HornsOverTexas
ADVERTISEMENT