ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

That's a shitty attitude.
Your effort was slow 🐌,
and the sooners beat you. They snapped up the free government land in the process.
You reap what you sow. In this case you reaped your own 💩 💩 💩 💩

Don't waste it. Go ahesd and use it as fertilizer when you plant your crops.

The ou game matters a lot to emotional fans.

Season success in today’s CFP world doesn’t depend at all on the outcome of the game.

Both can be true.
again, everyone needs to stop reading in extremes.

The OU game matters. No one has said otherwise. It just matters less in this new SEC world.

@Ketchum Do you have A&M game as more important than OU game because…?
(A) A&M will be more nationally relevant than OU? Or…
(B) We have a greater chance of losing to A&M? Or…
(C) All the intangibles involved in the renewing of that rivalry?
C

I'm surprised it needs to be explained.

Reactions: Major Major
So, Sark being 1-2 against OU doesn't matter as much? Not sure any Texas coach with a losing record against OU didn't hear constant chirping from the fan base which compounded their stress. If Sark loses to OU this year and becomes 1-3 he's got a massive hole to dig out of.
It didn't matter last year and it really didn't matter the year before, either. Not in the larger scheme of things.

IMO OU is dangerously like Nebraska when they left the Big 12. Decades of elite football just - but lost their recruiting base and became just another small state football school
This is hilarious. Ou will never become Nebraska - too close to dfw.

The Cowboys just aren't a serious franchise. They're a complete joke. The good news is that outside of Lamb, Prescott has no weapons. The run game is going to awful. We should be able to ditch him. I'm coming to the point that I think Dallas is tanking and looking for a complete rebuild.

I don't agree with all your takes @Ketchum, but 100% there with you on the relative importance of A&M vs. OU both in 2024 and going forward. Last year shows exactly how you can crap the bed in Dallas and still win and recruit. As for A&M game, I can't think of any season record for the two teams where the game won't be hair-on-fire level. Texas could be undefeated and A&M have four wins, and the game will be critical because A&M can salvage their season and recruiting. Texas could find itself surprisingly underdelivering, with 2 or three losses heading to College Station, and the stakes would be obvious in terms of who is top dog in the state. Etc. A&M will play out of its minds in any case because everything--EVERYTHING--is a function of how they stack up to Texas.

This in no way takes away from my dislike of OU.

Reactions: Ketchum
[/QUOTE]

That's the part Ketch is pumping that people aren't sold on. Neither am I. I have decades of dialogue with OU people in my life that isn't going away anytime soon.

We'll see what we all think in a few years. I'm not willing to be nearly as dug in on this as some.

No one said it won't mean anything.

I said it would mean less.
No more or less than any other rivalry. Or any other team for that matter. That's the whole point. The regular season games will just mean less due to the playoffs.

The Cowboys just aren't a serious franchise. They're a complete joke. The good news is that outside of Lamb, Prescott has no weapons. The run game is going to awful. We should be able to ditch him. I'm coming to the point that I think Dallas is tanking and looking for a complete rebuild.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Reactions: AlpacaCorch
I don't agree with all your takes @Ketchum, but 100% there with you on the relative importance of A&M vs. OU both in 2024 and going forward. Last year shows exactly how you can crap the bed in Dallas and still win and recruit. As for A&M game, I can't think of any season record for the two teams where the game won't be hair-on-fire level. Texas could be undefeated and A&M have four wins, and the game will be critical because A&M can salvage their season and recruiting. Texas could find itself surprisingly underdelivering, with 2 or three losses heading to College Station, and the stakes would be obvious in terms of who is top dog in the state. Etc. A&M will play out of its minds in any case because everything--EVERYTHING--is a function of how they stack up to Texas.

That's definitely a big part of it.

The OU game matters. No one has said otherwise. It just matters less in this new SEC world.

Again not for me. And probably not for the ones who attend the game annually. And like I said agree or not the loss last year still stings for me.

That's the part Ketch is pumping that people aren't sold on. Neither am I. I have decades of dialogue with OU people in my life that isn't going away anytime soon.

We'll see what we all think in a few years. I'm not willing to be nearly as dug in on this as some.
[/QUOTE]
I've said nothing about lessoning the hate, just the importance.

Again not for me. And probably not for the ones who attend the game annually. And like I said agree or not the loss last year still stings for me.
Honestly, you don't know yet. It hasn't happened yet.

I forecasting the future.

Honestly, you don't know yet. It hasn't happened yet.

I forecasting the future.

Oh I know. The ou game will always be very important to me. Again others can feel different. But I will also add beating aggy always bring great joy as well.

Oh I know. The ou game will always be very important to me. Again others can feel different. But I will also add beating aggy always bring great joy as well.
Again, it's not that it won't be very important.

It's that there's no way it won't be less important. We're going from a place where the world partly revolves around them to one where they haven't yet proven that they'll still matter the same.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't every scheduled game less important with a 12 team playoff? I buy that premise because for the last 15 years this game has MATTERED above all, and that won't be the case anymore. For lots of obvious reasons.

But I don't think it's ever going to be like the 90s you remember again. And I do wonder if it will return to the most important game at some point very, very soon?

The 90s were before my time. My time was a decade later when aggy couldn't win anything and OU was all that mattered. We cared about aggy in that we needed to win for sure but they weren't a real threat.

As much as we suspect OU might become non-elite, if aggy remains in that category and OU returns than it might look like the 2000s again.

Isn't every scheduled game less important with a 12 team playoff? I buy that premise because for the last 15 years this game has MATTERED above all, and that won't be the case anymore. For lots of obvious reasons.

But I don't think it's ever going to be like the 90s you remember again. And I do wonder if it will return to the most important game at some point very, very soon?

The 90s were before my time. My time was a decade later when aggy couldn't win anything and OU was all that mattered. We cared about aggy in that we needed to win for sure but they weren't a real threat.

As much as we suspect OU might become non-elite, if aggy remains in that category and OU returns than it might look like the 2000s again.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that every game is less important, but the world has revolved around beating OU for 20+ years.

That's not the name of the game any more.

Reactions: ColladorUT
Again, it's not that it won't be very important.

It's that there's no way it won't be less important. We're going from a place where the world partly revolves around them to one where they haven't yet proven that they'll still matter the same.

ou could go 0-12 every year and that game will matter to me regardless of our results. Again I get your point but for me even if we win a National Championship but lose in October it will sting and stay in my gut until the next October. Not saying I am right. But that is how I feel. The individual game may not mean anything at the macro level going forward but me me at the micro it is everything.

ou could go 0-12 every year and that game will matter to me regardless of our results. Again I get your point but for me even if we win a National Championship but lose in October it will sting and stay in my gut until the next October. Not saying I am right. But that is how I feel. The individual game may not mean anything at the macro level going forward but me me at the micro it is everything.
Let's revisit this in 5 years once a new norm has set in.

I've had others tell me it's the best movie of 2024 so far.
Despite the fact that Challengers is the first movie with more male nudity than female nudity I can remember, it was a very well constructed story.

I loved the Fall Guy show from the 80s and the star power is undeniable. I think it will be one of the better popcorn movies we’ve had in a while. But Challengers was a really good flick.

Reactions: Ketchum

I wouldn't say that every game is less important, but the world has revolved around beating OU for 20+ years.

That's not the name of the game any more.
[/QUOTE]

Every game has to be less important. It's mathematically impossible for it not to be.

Last year proved the world didn't revolve around beating OU. Over the previous 5-7 they proved the whole world didn't revolve beating us b/c they made the playoffs with one loss to us. Hell in 2008 we beat them and the world didn't revolve around it and we got (wrongly) left out.

Despite the fact that Challengers is the first movie with more male nudity than female nudity I can remember, it was a very well constructed story.

I loved the Fall Guy show from the 80s and the star power is undeniable. I think it will be one of the better popcorn movies we’ve had in a while. But Challengers was a really good flick.
I'm in with both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT