ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

Not really. The Big 12 isn't the SEC.
If its not NIL related, why do we think UT is going to perform any better than OU will given how they have pretty much won way more conf rings than we did?

What it kind of feels like this thread is turning into:

bugs bunny fighting GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
Great gif

Reactions: ColladorUT
You are misreading the fanbase. Simply making the playoff, if coupled with losing three out of four against ou, is not a recipe for ongoing success. You have all people should know that.
I'm not misreading the fanbase when I noticed that almost no one cared about that loss from 30,000 when the team won the conference and played in the playoff.

It didn't remotely define the season.

Reactions: AlpacaCorch
That is you looking back, not on game day. If it had kept us out of the playoffs would it have "not mattered?"

Every birthday party is diminished 5 months after it's over
It was diminished weeks later, not 5 months.

Great to have this column back. You nailed it. The build towards the aggy game will hit everyone once it's on the horizon. The chatter all season in the media will be about Texas and aggy renewing, so by the time that game comes around the feels will be in full effect. Also, there's a world where Elko gets his team to a respectable season with a soft schedule that could change the narrative around that game and the road ahead. Texas has to make sure aggy doesn't have any hope of changing the narrative, which I don't feel is the case with OU currently.
exactly

I cannot understand how people are sincerely arguing in this thread that a win or loss against OU is in the same stratosphere of importance as making the playoff and winning playoff games. If Texas goes 0-5 in the next 5 years against OU and makes the playoff in each of those 5 years, it would not matter one iota to Sark's job security.

They'll eventually learn about the new world once they've lived in it a little.

I understand your point re OU but if the team takes the approach that it’s just another game on the schedule we might never beat them again. It will continue to be a holy war for them.
The Texas game is a little less important for them as well.

It's unavoidable.

Its the most exciting time to be a Texas Longhorn fan

when your # 2 concern for the team ( and its potential weaknesses) is the punter

id say its the most exciting time to be a Texas Longhorn fan
Still gotta get one, though!

If its not NIL related, why do we think UT is going to perform any better than OU will given how they have pretty much won way more conf rings than we did?

Ultimately, we don't know that. It's not really part of the discussion I'm having.

I'm not misreading the fanbase when I noticed that almost no one cared about that loss from 30,000 when the team won the conference and played in the playoff.

It didn't remotely define the season.
No one cared? That’s not how I remember this board after Texas/ou 2023. Of course no one brought the loss after Texas ran the table, avenged some prior losses against KSt, Tech, and ISU, and the won the championship and made the playoff. To conclude from the exuberance of winning a championship for the first time since 2010 and making the playoff for the first time that no one cared about losing to ou, or that the importance of Red River was somehow diminished, is not only illogical but laughable. The vast majority of responses to this thread bear out the point that among Texas alumni and fans, we care greatly annd passionately about both beating ou and achieving the goals of the season. Those two things are hardly mutually exclusive.

No one cared? That’s not how I remember this board after Texas/ou 2023. Of course no one brought the loss after Texas ran the table, avenged some prior losses against KSt, Tech, and ISU, and the won the championship and made the playoff. To conclude from the exuberance of winning a championship for the first time since 2010 and making the playoff for the first time that no one cared about losing to ou, or that the importance of Red River was somehow diminished, is not only illogical but laughable. The vast majority of responses to this thread bear out the point that among Texas alumni and fans, we care greatly annd passionately about both beating ou and achieving the goals of the season. Those two things are hardly mutually exclusive.
Directly after the game. Yes, of course. Once the season was completed?

Not hardly.

That's a shitty attitude.
Your effort was slow 🐌,
and the sooners beat you. They snapped up the free government land in the process.
You reap what you sow. In this case you reaped your own 💩 💩 💩 💩

Don't waste it. Go ahesd and use it as fertilizer when you plant your crops.
What are you even saying? I was saying shit because I wasn’t first.

Ketch - I'm coming around on your take for a different reason. The fear I have is that this also means the regular season doesn't mean sh*t anymore. 12 teams in the playoff - season good or bad? Did we make the playoff - period. Just look at college basketball - I couldn't remember from year to year who we beat in the regular season, but can tell you who we beat/lost to in the tourney.

The biggest game is Georgia, period. There are true ramifications there. Bad take.

Punter? We don't need no (I know, double neg. for a english majors) stinkn punter! We going to score everytime we get the ball! ;o)

Reactions: Ketchum
I cannot understand how people are sincerely arguing in this thread that a win or loss against OU is in the same stratosphere of importance as making the playoff and winning playoff games. If Texas goes 0-5 in the next 5 years against OU and makes the playoff in each of those 5 years, it would not matter one iota to Sark's job security.

No one said the ou game would cost Sark his job. Good lord that is hyperbole. But as someone who attends the ou game every year it is VERY important to me.

Ketch - I'm coming around on your take for a different reason. The fear I have is that this also means the regular season doesn't mean sh*t anymore. 12 teams in the playoff - season good or bad? Did we make the playoff - period. Just look at college basketball - I couldn't remember from year to year who we beat in the regular season, but can tell you who we beat/lost to in the tourney.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

No one said the ou game would cost Sark his job. Good lord that is hyperbole. But as someone who attends the ou game every year it is VERY important to me.
What year did your OU game visiting begin?

People were arguing that though, saying if Sark goes 1-3 against OU in his first four years the boosters will be up in arms, even if he were to make the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT