ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (OU just doesn't matter as much any more...)

People were arguing that though, saying if Sark goes 1-3 against OU in his first four years the boosters will be up in arms, even if he were to make the playoffs.
The reality is Sarks report card for success has adjusted since he was hired because of the conference change and the playoff expansion. In the past, an OU loss typically meant a big shot to Texas conference and playoff hopes so yeah 1-3 against them often signals Texas didn’t live up to expectations, but last year being the lone loss and moving forward having a 12 team playoff in a new conference changes the view of Texas record against OU in terms of his job stability. Beating them is important to the fanbase and boosters but it’s not the death knell it has been moving forward nor the marker of program success it once was. Also, I think the series is about to swing the other way.

Reactions: Yahweh74
The reality is Sarks report card for success has adjusted since he was hired because of the conference change and the playoff expansion. In the past, an OU loss typically meant a big shot to Texas conference and playoff hopes so yeah 1-3 against them often signals Texas didn’t live up to expectations, but last year being the lone loss and moving forward having a 12 team playoff in a new conference changes the view of Texas record against OU in terms of his job stability. Beating them is important to the fanbase and boosters but it’s not the death knell it has been moving forward nor the marker of program success it once was. Also, I think the series is about to swing the other way.
Bingo.

I think that is fair. But it was a pretty heated rivalry in the 90's as well. At least between fans
True. I’ve also been to most OU games since 1980. The biggest difference between OU and ag is that we don’t live in the middle of a bunch of Sooners. Aggies are generally insufferable . They go to another level when they beat Texas. The 1980’s losing streak was awful. Great discussion.

True. I’ve also been to most OU games since 1980. The biggest difference between OU and ag is that we don’t live in the middle of a bunch of Sooners. Aggies are generally insufferable . They go to another level when they beat Texas. The 1980’s losing streak was awful. Great discussion.
It makes me feel old that the 80s and 90s were so long ago that a lot of fans have no idea of what once was.

I have UGA ranked No.1 on the schedule.
“The Texas/OU game didn't define the 2023 season in Austin and it sure as hell won't in 2024. If we're being honest, the biggest game on the schedule in 2024 is the resumption of the A&M rivalry. That's the game more than any other that the Longhorns absolutely must win. The second biggest game? It's Georgia.”

Ketch, I don’t think anyone would say that aggie isn’t an important game, particularly this year, and I agree with your take that all regular season games will be diminished if there is a big playoff run, but to say that aggie is more important than OU is historically inaccurate.

Sure, listening to some hillbilly uncle or some asshole brother in law after an Aggie win is something all of us want to avoid, but nothing stings like walking out of the Cotton Bowl with a loss.

I would also argue that most of the recruiting losses burned deeper with OU than aggie because you knew that OU usually turned it into wins. aggie…not so much.

It makes me feel old that the 80s and 90s were so long ago that a lot of fans have no idea of what once was.
It was basically a Bowl Game in the middle of the season. A Blast. The Atmosphere. We know I could go on and on. I love everything about the entire experience. Kids have enjoyed themselves recently so it will carry on.

Reactions: Ketchum
“The Texas/OU game didn't define the 2023 season in Austin and it sure as hell won't in 2024. If we're being honest, the biggest game on the schedule in 2024 is the resumption of the A&M rivalry. That's the game more than any other that the Longhorns absolutely must win. The second biggest game? It's Georgia.”
The A&M game has the mist significance.

Ketch, I don’t think anyone would say that aggie isn’t an important game, particularly this year, and I agree with your take that all regular season games will be diminished if there is a big playoff run, but to say that aggie is more important than OU is historically inaccurate.

Sure, listening to some hillbilly uncle or some asshole brother in law after an Aggie win is something all of us want to avoid, but nothing stings like walking out of the Cotton Bowl with a loss.

I would also argue that most of the recruiting losses burned deeper with OU than aggie because you knew that OU usually turned it into wins. aggie…not so much.
Were you around from 84-94?

It was basically a Bowl Game in the middle of the season. A Blast. The Atmosphere. We know I could go on and on. I love everything about the entire experience. Kids have enjoyed themselves recently so it will carry on.
The 95 game wasn't a bowl game. ;)

Reactions: PreamoHorn
Were you around from 84-94?
Graduated in ‘93. I remember Peter Gardere’s four victories over OU vividly. Admittedly, aggie under Sherril and Slocum were formidable for that decade.

Those Texas teams were not completely talented and were poorly coached.

I would be curious what former players would say.

You'd agree that the importance of the game reach new heights after Mack and Stoops were in control?
The reality is the importance of the game has been here since the 60’s with Darrel Royal and Bud Wilkinson. You really don’t know the history behind this game Ketch. You’re just not looking at history.

Reactions: streettopeschel
Graduated in ‘93. I remember Peter Gardere’s four victories over OU vividly. Admittedly, aggie under Sherril and Slocum were formidable for that decade.

Those Texas teams were not completely talented and were poorly coached.

I would be curious what former players would say.
You don't remember the obsession with beating Aggie?

Reactions: KoolMoD
You really don’t know the history behind this game Ketch.

You got me. I don't know the history of the game,

I suppose I need to go back and read my book, which is largely about the history of the program, which features a photo on the cover from the game.

• Haha
Reactions: texaspaulo
Fair points on all accounts. I believe the ou game still means a bunch to the players for pride, recruiting, bragging rights, etc. Making a playoff run or SEC championship is also a huge part of the season. Besting the Aggies is similar to beating ou. Dismissing a loss to Georgia in hopes of catching them in the SEC championship game is fools gold. ALL games matter if we're gonna step into tier 1🤘🏻💯

Reactions: 7 Day Free Pass
Fair points on all accounts. I believe the ou game still means a bunch to the players for pride, recruiting, bragging rights, etc. Making a playoff run or SEC championship is also a huge part of the season. Besting the Aggies is similar to beating ou. Dismissing a loss to Geauga in hopes of catching them in the SEC championship game is fools gold. ALL games matter if we're gonna step into tier 1🤘🏻💯
We've gone from there being sometimes 1 truly big game a per year to numerous.

THat's kind of part of my point.

Reactions: KoolMoD

That point is valid for 2023 because we ran the table for the rest of Big 12 play and had a chance to win against UW in the playoff. Had the remainder of the regular season played out differently, the narrative about a diminished ou game wouldn’t be a topic right now. @Ketchum seems to forget that Texas was sitting 6th or 7th in the CFP rankings heading into CCG precisely because of the ou loss. The team took care of business and the loss didn’t keep us out of the CFP, but that was hardly assured right up until the time the final rankings were announced.

This has been an interesting thread, and ultimately I look at it this way. Last year was so much fun and the team met if not exceeded expectations. Because of that, the loss to ou was somewhat discounted in the final analysis. I’m not willing to go out on a limb and conclude that means Red River won’t be as important going forward. Nor am I willing to project the type of improvement for Aggy that is implicit in Ketch’s original post. Elko may be the guy to harness their talent and get them going in the right direction, but that’s nothing more than speculation right now. But it makes for excellent offseason debate and a 12-page thread and counting. Cheers. 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT