ADVERTISEMENT

LB Shemar Smith has UT on top, official visit is scheduled

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1716595.jpg

Texas successfully dipped into the state of Florida in last year's recruiting class, securing commitments from a number of prospects from the Sunshine State. The coaches are again recruiting a number of top Floridians in 2016, and the Longhorns are in great shape with at least one defensive prospect.

Miami Jackson linebacker Shemar Smith, who holds a UT offer, has the Longhorns atop his list and will take an official visit to UT in September.

Key quote: "They offered me a little while ago. Texas, that's No. 1 right there. I didn't commit yet, but that's on my mind," Smith said. "I'm going to officially visit in September. I've set that up with the coaches. For the Oklahoma State game."

Others of note: Smith said the other programs that are high on his list are South Florida and Oregon State. He doesn't have any other official visits set up, but said he is planning to take several visits.

Texas in close contact: Smith stays in touch with the UT coaches pretty regularly, including catching up with Chris Vaughn last week. The relationship Smith has built with Vaughn and Charlie Strong is really helping UT's chances.

"Sometimes I hit them up, but we have a bond already. Both coaches really," Smith said. "They talk about academics, say they can put me in their scheme, a lot of things. They're always talking aboput the defense and how I could play for them - I can rush off the edge, can drop into coverage."

Better than his ranking: The 6-2, 200-pound Smith is rated only as a two-star prospect and has a Rivals ranking of 5.4. The film and the production don't agree with those numbers.

Last year, Smith recorded 70 tackles, 18 sacks, three forced fumbles and a defensive touchdown. His efforts earned him Miami Herald Defensive Player of the Year in Miami-Dade County. His film shows a player who fires off the edge like he's shot out of a cannon. His athleticism and natural feel as a pass rusher would seem to be a perfect fit for the Fox position in the Texas defense.

Shemar Smith junior season highlights

My thoughts: The way this one stands right now, I really like the Longhorns' chances. Smith's relationship with the UT coaches has Texas out in front, and there's a very good chance this one falls Texas' way. One thing to watch closely will be whether or not Miami jumps into the mix with an offer. As much as he likes Texas, Smith has said previously that the Hurricanes are his childhood favorite, so a Miami offer could shake things up. But as of right now, it looks good for Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News