ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Mike Stoops to

So looks like it’s going to be either Elko or Elijah Robinson (current interim HC). Can you imagine firing Jimbo just to hire Elko or the interim??

Let’s see if we figure out what happened yesterday:

- Apparently Aggie AD Bjork and the Regents agreed on one candidate, and then Bjork went against their wishes and tried to hire Stoops behind their back?

- The Stoops to Aggie news gets leaked to the media yesterday and sounds like it’s a done deal. There were even reports that Stoops had said goodbye to staffers and players.

- HUGE negative reaction from Aggie fans and the media after the stoops news is announced.

- Stoops upsets #9 Louisville yesterday while all of this is going on.

- This is the one that’s a little unclear. Either Stoops decided to stay at UK and turn down Aggie after beating Louisville, or Aggie decided to back off with all the negative backlash. Both are equally hilarious and dumpster fire-y lol.

Aggie is truly the current laughing stock of CFB. Their AD completely botched this entire search. Reminds me of the time when Tennessee tried to hire Greg Schiano and then backed out of the deal.
Points 1-4 are pretty spot on.

Point 5-
Stoops makes it to Blue Grass airport in Lexington-- I flew into there in 2019- executive airport- gets a phone call from "someone" telling him the deal is off and the aggy BOR will not support it. Stoops then leaves the airport quickly to avoid exposure. Too late- you were spotted there.
Now he's got to slink back to his team and explain all this.

Points 1-4 are pretty spot on.

Point 5-
Stoops makes it to Blue Grass airport in Lexington-- I flew into there in 2019- executive airport- gets a phone call from "someone" telling him the deal is off and the aggy BOR will not support it. Stoops then leaves the airport quickly to avoid exposure. Too late- you were spotted there.
Now he's got to slink back to his team and explain all this.
Where did you see he was spotted at the airport? Hadn’t seen that yet.

This is what is so fvcking laughable--

Aggy has found themselves in this absolutely cosmicly embarrassing situation simply because of "FEAR" of losing face.

The leave the Big12 because of Texas.
They join the SEC thinking they're moving up to the big show.
They win a Heisman and think "we've arrived".
They stun Bama and just KNOW they're one step away from greatness.
Then they slump. So they react by firing Sumlin and bring in a HEAVY in Jimbo.
He's going to get it done.
They've ascended Texas who's now in the midst of its worst slump in school history.
They give Jimbo record money. 100+ million.
They give him a ranch.
They give him maroon alligator boots.
They give him a National Championship trophy with fill in the blank dates.
They advertise their new found supremity in college football.
They start off mid.
They have a great covid season.
They give Jimbo a raise AND an extension.
The NIL opens up and they BUY the greatest recruiting class in CFB history. <- it's ON now
They are betrayed by their conference's hand shake deal and find out Texas is coming.
They are butt hurt.
But they've still got Jimbo, oil money, the number 1 recruiting class and a decade plus head start on Texas in the SEC.
They see Texas barely lose to Bama.
They go 5-7.
They are now in panic over drive.
All eyes are on Austin.
They see Texas destroy Bama on Bama's field.
They decide right there that Texas is 1 year away from embarrassing them at home, in year 1 of their SEC tenure, so they have a choice to make: lose to Texas year 1 with Jimbo- thus conceding any recruiting advantage they've claimed to have had the last decade plus by being in the SEC (I mean it's gone. All.gone in the blink of an eye) AND suffer the embarrassing fallout of having their 100 million dollar coach crushed by the team they HATE the most-
OR
Fire their 100 million dollar coach, pay the 77 million buyout, hire a new coach who- if he loses to Texas in year one, Aggy now has a built in excuse for losing year one to Texas. "But...we had a first year head coach".... and kick that can down the road for a year and HOPE that the new big name coach and aggy NIL money keeps recruiting from collapsing all together.

Now-- enter Mark Stoops.

Not a big name. Not a proven winner. In fact, his record at Kentucky is about the sake as Jimbos record at aggy----- but without the resources.
BOR realizes he is the hire they need for "cover" if they lose early. But if he has their resources, he MIGHT be able to win big in a few years.

Aggy fans don't feel it's a big enough "splash" and revolt, en mass, all over the net. BOR feels like they're being lynched so they turn on Bjork.
Bjork is left twisting in the wind.

Aggy destroys Bjork's reputation and now has put Stoops in a VERY uncomfortable situation.
And NOW they've got SO much egg on their face (as a program AND fan base) that nothing short of hiring Jesus H Christ esq will save them from any amount of further embarassment-- ESPECIALLY if they lose at home to Texas next year.

I don't know if you all realize what's in play now. We are seeing one of the wealthiest programs in college sports teeter on total implosion.
Regardless of who they hire next, if they lose to Texas in 2024, it won't be a slow spiral into purgatory. It will be a full throttle burn directly into a smoking crater. Imagine firing a Saturn V rocket (all 3 stages) from 120,000 feet straight down into the Grand Canyon.

It will take them a half century to recover.

This is what is so fvcking laughable--

Aggy has found themselves in this absolutely cosmicly embarrassing situation simply because of "FEAR" of losing face.

The leave the Big12 because of Texas.
They join the SEC thinking they're moving up to the big show.
They win a Heisman and think "we've arrived".
They stun Bama and just KNOW they're one step away from greatness.
Then they slump. So they react by firing Sumlin and bring in a HEAVY in Jimbo.
He's going to get it done.
They've ascended Texas who's now in the midst of its worst slump in school history.
They give Jimbo record money. 100+ million.
They give him a ranch.
They give him maroon alligator boots.
They give him a National Championship trophy with fill in the blank dates.
They advertise their new found supremity in college football.
They start off mid.
They have a great covid season.
They give Jimbo a raise AND an extension.
The NIL opens up and they BUY the greatest recruiting class in CFB history. <- it's ON now
They are betrayed by their conference's hand shake deal and find out Texas is coming.
They are butt hurt.
But they've still got Jimbo, oil money, the number 1 recruiting class and a decade plus head start on Texas in the SEC.
They see Texas barely lose to Bama.
They go 5-7.
They are now in panic over drive.
All eyes are on Austin.
They see Texas destroy Bama on Bama's field.
They decide right there that Texas is 1 year away from embarrassing them at home, in year 1 of their SEC tenure, so they have a choice to make: lose to Texas year 1 with Jimbo- thus conceding any recruiting advantage they've claimed to have had the last decade plus by being in the SEC (I mean it's gone. All.gone in the blink of an eye) AND suffer the embarrassing fallout of having their 100 million dollar coach crushed by the team they HATE the most-
OR
Fire their 100 million dollar coach, pay the 77 million buyout, hire a new coach who- if he loses to Texas in year one, Aggy now has a built in excuse for losing year one to Texas. "But...we had a first year head coach".... and kick that can down the road for a year and HOPE that the new big name coach and aggy NIL money keeps recruiting from collapsing all together.

Now-- enter Mark Stoops.

Not a big name. Not a proven winner. In fact, his record at Kentucky is about the sake as Jimbos record at aggy----- but without the resources.
BOR realizes he is the hire they need for "cover" if they lose early. But if he has their resources, he MIGHT be able to win big in a few years.

Aggy fans don't feel it's a big enough "splash" and revolt, en mass, all over the net. BOR feels like they're being lynched so they turn on Bjork.
Bjork is left twisting in the wind.

Aggy destroys Bjork's reputation and now has put Stoops in a VERY uncomfortable situation.
And NOW they've got SO much egg on their face (as a program AND fan base) that nothing short of hiring Jesus H Christ esq will save them from any amount of further embarassment-- ESPECIALLY if they lose at home to Texas next year.

I don't know if you all realize what's in play now. We are seeing one of the wealthiest programs in college sports teeter on total implosion.
Regardless of who they hire next, if they lose to Texas in 2024, it won't be a slow spiral into purgatory. It will be a full throttle burn directly into a smoking crater. Imagine firing a Saturn V rocket (all 3 stages) from 120,000 feet straight down into the Grand Canyon.

It will take them a half century to recover.
Spot on. Texas has lost face for a decade and has aired most of its dirty laundry in the public eye. Aggy can't do this. When energy prices spike horribly, and it is coming, these mega conferences will go to regional pod scheduling to save dollars. That's when Aggy goes back to being a cellar dweller against Texas, OU, Piggy, and Mizzou. It's going to be and already is hilarious.

Sounds like UH fired Holgerson. Gotta think that’s where Jeff Traylor ends up if he doesn’t end up at A&M. Maybe Herman goes back to Houston?

Sounds like UH fired Holgerson. Gotta think that’s where Jeff Traylor ends up if he doesn’t end up at A&M. Maybe Herman goes back to Houston?
Traylor has a great gig. Get UTSA to a bowl game and he's a God. No pressure. No expectations. No billionaires breathing down his neck. He's made more money than he's ever dreamed. He makes millions and gets to ENJOY it.

If Aggy treated Stoops this way, that's going to send the wrong message to all other candidates that will make them never want any part of that mess. If they treated him with that much unprofessionalism and disrespect, no candidate will want to be there working for those clowns. I think they end up promoting the interim coach because nobody else wants to be there. A&M is officially toxic poison to all aspiring and established coaches. What a shytshow!!

Traylor has a great gig. Get UTSA to a bowl game and he's a God. No pressure. No expectations. No billionaires breathing down his neck. He's made more money than he's ever dreamed. He makes millions and gets to ENJOY it.
I agree. But coaches wanna move up.

Someone please explain....why did Aggy fire Jimbo?

Surely their donors and regents are successful in business, politics and such. How in the hell do you fire a $77 million coach and have no plan whatsoever on who the next coach is going to be?

Most rational and logical thinking businessmen only fire key employees when they know exactly who the replacement will be prior to firing said key employee.

You just can't make this up.

Their transfer portal entries are going to be massive. I'll be surprised if they'll be able to field a decent squad for their bowl game.

• Haha
Reactions: 2300 Nueces

Surely their donors and regents are successful in business, politics and such. How in the hell do you fire a $77 million coach and have no plan whatsoever on who the next coach is going to be?

Most rational and logical thinking businessmen only fire key employees when they know exactly who the replacement will be prior to firing said key employee.

Their transfer portal entries are going to be massive. I'll be surprised if they'll be able to field a decent squad for their bowl game.
Doc--

Go about 8 posts up and read why they fired Jimbo. I laid it all out for you.

The Orangecoats are coming.

Reactions: StainedOrange
Traylor is doing just fine at UTSA. In a couple years, he'll have them in the Big 12. He's an older coach, no spring chicken. So he's not as drawn to making a big name for himself as someone like Tom Herman was at the time he was up and coming. Traylor is like 57 years old and is a different dude. He doesn't think like some of these younger coaches. He's fairly content at UTSA and has made a nice home for himself there with immense respect and adulation from fans, boosters and the city of SA. At his age, I'm not so sure he wants to go out and try to build another program and deal with asshole donors and boosters. If I were him, I would use this as an opportunity to extract another raise and extension from UTSA.

Doc--

Go about 8 posts up and read why they fired Jimbo. I laid it all out for you.

The Orangecoats are coming.
I read it. Well said. I swear those people have lost their damn minds!! Talk about a major lack of self esteem and insecurity. Geezus!

A&M fired Jimbo because Texas is 11-1. Seriously. That’s the reason they fired Jimbo.

Reactions: StainedOrange
So um----- I hate kicking someone when they're down. It's just bad form.

So I'm not going to kick-- I'm just going to post a thread for you to read-- the enjoyment/shauenfreude is up to you.

Reactions: freeper
If Aggy treated Stoops this way, that's going to send the wrong message to all other candidates that will make them never want any part of that mess. If they treated him with that much unprofessionalism and disrespect, no candidate will want to be there working for those clowns. I think they end up promoting the interim coach because nobody else wants to be there. A&M is officially toxic poison to all aspiring and established coaches. What a shytshow!!
I don't know how much of how they recruited Stoops then reneged is true and how much is just internet fodder. But the agents of the coaches talk, and you can guarantee that the other coaches in the profession will know the truth of the story.

A&M paid $76M to fire its head coach just so it could hire the DC that that same head coach had brought in previously? Elko may be a good hire, but I can't imagine that the average A&M fan feels very satisfied.

As for Traylor, I'll be interested to see if he takes the Houston job. I assume he's their first target.

A&M paid $76M to fire its head coach just so it could hire the DC that that same head coach had brought in previously? Elko may be a good hire, but I can't imagine that the average A&M fan feels very satisfied.

As for Traylor, I'll be interested to see if he takes the Houston job. I assume he's their first target.
Why leave SA where you have zero billionaire asshole boosters breathing down your neck, to go to Houston where you have the biggest asshole billionaire booster ever, who will ALWAYS be breathing down your neck?

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
For Houston Rhett Lashley might be a name to look at. SMU 10 wins in his 2nd year. Houston in the big 12 is probably a better job than SMU in the ACC

Why leave SA where you have zero billionaire asshole boosters breathing down your neck, to go to Houston where you have the biggest asshole billionaire booster ever, who will ALWAYS be breathing down your neck?
I didn't say he'd take it. I wouldn't. And clearly you wouldn't. But it takes someone being wired differently to be a head coach in today's game, and what you or I may consider excessive pressure, these guys see as just another opportunity to prove what they can handle.

For Houston Rhett Lashley might be a name to look at. SMU 10 wins in his 2nd year. Houston in the big 12 is probably a better job than SMU in the ACC
The challenge with Lashley is how much was his doing? Most of the players there were brought in under the prior regime. So while he did win, he did it with players brought in by Dykes.

The challenge with Lashley is how much was his doing? Most of the players there were brought in under the prior regime. So while he did win, he did it with players brought in by Dykes.
So Gary Patterson made the national title last year? A lot of people use the argument “well he won with the previous guys players” so why couldn’t the previous guy win?

So Gary Patterson made the national title last year? A lot of people use the argument “well he won with the previous guys players” so why couldn’t the previous guy win?
Gary didn't make the title game last year. But a lot Gary's players did. How'd TCU do this year? As we get further away from Gary's influence on that program, it will be very interesting to see how Dykes performs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT