ADVERTISEMENT

Lost my Pops

drdda

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2005
As a member of this great community, I’ve had the pleasure to meet and know some great Longhorns and fans. I’ve read incredible stories written by talented wordsmiths who eloquently paint a picture of their fathers and shared experiences cheering for the Longhorn sports teams. I was always touched by the sincerity and heart felt sentiments about your dads.

I lost my dad at 5 pm yesterday. He fought Lewy Body dementia and Alzheimer’s for way too long. He suffered a fractured hip on Wednesday, thankfully while I was in country. He didn’t even know he had fallen.

As a pharmacist, he was responsible for knowing and understanding the many medications, remedies, and their interactions. He helped his small town medical community by ensuring the drugs prescribed were safe for his patients. He was respected by his peers and loved by his customers. He was a pilar of the community. What started at UT changed the world for many of his beloved followers in Big Spring, Texas.

My life began as I joking say as a bio chem experiment between he and my mom while he was a pharmacy student in 62. I introduce myself as a Longhorn by birth at the tailgates. I did not graduate from the University, but proudly wear the t-shirts, holding my horns high alongside my dad.

As my mom reminisced of their humble beginnings in their Deep Eddy housing, to the UT clothes she made for my first game, and finally his 50th class reunion, I’m proud and honored to have followed and loved his alma mater.

Hold the hand of your father a little longer while you can. Take him to a game, share old sports stories, and thank him for his unwavering love. I held my dads hand one last time, and am for ever grateful for the lessons they taught me. For it was those hands that first shaped my fist with an extended index and little finger some 54 years ago.

I love you dad.

Hookem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News