ADVERTISEMENT

MBB – B/S questions answered (part 1; part 2 coming later today)

Keenan Womack

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2021
Original thread is here:

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 9.13.51 AM.png

@JRock Hookem

BUY

I think Texas has done an excellent job with this recruitment, and the fact that now it's just between Baylor and Texas, and NOT between those two AND G-League Ignite. I think he will probably end up at UT. How the 'Horns can help themselves is by (A) demonstrating development at the guard spots (for ALL guards, not just the freshmen), and (B) showing development of high-level prospects, i.e., Dillon Mitchell. He's improved drastically since last season – maybe Tre sees that and thinks he'll get good development out of his one year with the 'Horns.

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 9.17.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 9.19.33 AM.png

@longhornmjc
@ndennis25

BUY – Sweet 16
SELL – Final Four

Before people think I'm doubting this team, let me explain why I can't say "BUY" on making a Final Four. Guaranteeing anything beyond a Sweet 16 is sort of tough to do, despite the loaded nature of this roster. Look at Alabama last year. In my opinion, outside of UCONN, probably the best team in 2022-23.

But you saw what happened to them – they dealt with injuries, off-the-court stuff, and ended up running into a buzzsaw in San Diego State, who ran a grinding system that slowed the Tide down and prevented them from running the Aztecs off the floor with superior athleticism. This Bama team had a top-two pick (Brandon Miller), a top-21 pick (Noah Clowney), and plenty of other badass pieces (Bediako, Sears, etc).

If they didn't walk away with it, I think it's hard to promise anything past a Sweet 16.

Could they do it though? The talent is certainly there.

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 9.27.26 AM.png

@concan

BUY

I think a top-three finish is pretty realistic for this team. There are 3-4 teams that could possibly get ahead of them in the standings (according to preseason evals): Kansas (duh), Baylor, and Houston. Now obviously, KU is no. 1 in the nation, so they're naturally the favorite, according to my very tenuous grasp of mathematical principles.

Baylor is Baylor; Houston is Houston. Texas Tech is going to struggle in their first year under Grant McCasland on the offensive end; they'll be elite defensively. As I've often said, the Big XII schedule is physically taxing, so there are no "gimme" wins in conference play, especially on the road.

I still believe they finish top three, however. First place? Not quite sure about that.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 6.33.15 AM.png

@#1Tiger

BUY

Disu is slated for a mid-December return, and conference play starts in January. I like the odds he's back for the Big XII opener. He might be a bit rusty, but I like his chances after 5-10 games to return to a really solid player that can start and hold down the four spot.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 6.35.05 AM.png

SELL

As much as I like Dylan Disu, I don't see his playing at an "All-American" level, as there are SO MANY mouths to feed. I think we as analysts and y'all as fans are quick to assume a couple of big games means All-American candidate – even big games against good teams in high-pressure environments.

In order for Disu to be an AA, he'd have to put up some gaudy numbers. Something like 18/10/2 on very high eFG%. As good as he is, I don't see that kind of scoring output over the course of 20ish games.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 7.05.58 AM.png

@metaldetektor

SELL

This is a close one, as they play two games I think they could lose in the preseason slate: at no. 4 Marquette and vs. either no. 5 UConn or Indiana. Despite the Hoosiers' being unranked, they are loaded talent wise. I have seen some issues with effort on the defensive end with IU and issues with shot selection, but the talent is overwhelming, and I think they'll be better by the time the 'Horns play them on Nov 20th (if they in fact play IU and not the defending national champs).

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 7.11.58 AM.png

@tkbarnett

BUY

For the uninitiated, effective field goal percentage, or eFG%, is a metric that accounts for the three-point shot's value of 3 over a regular field goal of 2.

This was a really tough one, but I think the fact that Texas (A) has Shedrick, Onyema, Disu, Cunningham, and Anamekwe that they will get some good looks inside. Add that to the ability of Max Abmas and IT Horton to shoot the hell out of the ball (and sometimes Tyrese Hunter), and I think you end up with a slightly better overall eFG% for the season.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 7.16.18 AM.png

@longhorns27

BUY

I could have gone either way with this one, because while I like the way that Mitchell cuts to the rim and how quick he is coming out of off-ball screens, he's not always going to be the go-to guy necessarily. His way to change this is attacking the basket off the dribble and essentially forcing possessions where he can use his athleticism to create decent looks. We've seen his midrange game is vastly improved, as has his confidence while slashing.

BUY

Disu in my opinion is the most skilled post player on the team. While Onyema and Shedrick are also successful at the rim, Disu has legitimate post moves, spins, and fakes that make him a nightmare to guard for bigs, especially when he has his push-shot from the short-to-midrange going, which killed Xavier in the Sweet 16 last year.

SELL

I think this team is better offensively but worse defensively. We don't have enough information to make a point statistically about this, but from the eye test, guys like Abmas are going to struggle defending bigger back courts (Hunter is excluded, because despite his size, he's an EXCELLENT point-of-attack defensive player.

PART TWO COMING IN THE AFTERNOON. I'd attach more but there is a limit on pictures I can post.

Don't worry, I'll get to all of your questions.

-Keenan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 7.15.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 7.15.05 AM.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News