ADVERTISEMENT

Moving an AC Compressor

TCUGuy

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2002
Anyone ever done this?

Wrapping a major remodel of the house, where two ac unit’s we’re moved from the back of the house to the east side of the house, where they share a wall with the master bath/bedroom.

Master bedroom is vacant right now, as floors just went in, but the humming noise from the units is loud, beyond what I would say is acceptable. When you put your ear to the wall it’s a loud humming/vibration. These are brand new units on a thick concrete pad.

We put heavy duty bath insulation in the wall before the units we’re installed, but it seems to not be helping. The room is an echo chamber right now with no furniture and hardwood floors, I would assume some furniture, rugs, bedding will somewhat help.

The ac tech is recommending compressor blankets, foam insulation in the attic where the wall meets the angled roof, and vibration isolation on the refrigerant lines.

The area on the exterior of the wall where the refrigerant lines come through the brick is not sealed properly as I can get a couple of fingers into the cavity of the wall so this needs to be addressed as well. Wondering if the weep holes in the immediate area need attention as well?

I’m considering adding mass loaded vinyl on the exterior walls as another layer of soundproofing, but starting to wonder if I need to just ditch the above efforts and insist they move the units to the other side of the house by the garage.

Refrigerant lines are in place, as well as the power/disconnects, so this would have to be rerouted which would be an absolute pain, especially since we’re well past the point of closing everything up, but after going through a seven month renovation I’m not willing to settle for something that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advise?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News