ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Somebody oughta chk this out as I don't have the channel and see what we up against.. or how bad we gonna get beat whichever. probably over anyway...

Draw a play....http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/college-sports/notre-dame-university/2015/04/17/Seven-Notre-Dame-players-to-watch-during-the-Blue-Gold-Game-April-18.html

If they letting fans draw a play then it can't be too bad can it?

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/...watch-during-the-Blue-Gold-Game-April-18.html
Hook'em

This post was edited on 4/18 3:35 PM by FlourBluffHorn

Spring

hate the domers.

No amount of time seems to change it. Would be curious to see who I would tolerate if 'domers vs sheep f*krs' play. In reality--could never see pulling for aggy in a n y t h i n g.

Certain there are qualified high school coach's in the fan base who could draw up something just about to par as the staff for one play.

Friendly poster here...... ND is pretty confident coming out of the spring. Strong offensive line, could be one of the surprises of the year. Golson looks like he'll be the starter, with Zaire the backup qb coming in when the ball is in the red zone....

One stud receiver in Will Fuller, and a solid core of WR top to jotted. Easily an 8-9 WR rotation.

Defensively we're expecting better play. The players seems to react quicker, but it's only spring.

Players to watch.... Question Nelson, CJ Procise..

Very condensed post but I'd be glad to expand if there are any questions, seeing our teams see each other in game one.

Last edited:
Can't wait for this game. A solid test early in the season that should let us gauge the progress (or lack thereof) with the qb and oline, as well as our overall defense. Win or lose, I hope we give the Irish a game.

Hook 'em

Can't wait for this game. A solid test early in the season that should let us gauge the progress (or lack thereof) with the qb and oline, as well as our overall defense. Win or lose, I hope we give the Irish a game.

Hook 'em

Hornosaurus......I also can not wait for this game....."Game Day" worthy IMO even though there are a few other marquee games .....

ND feels that out of the first three games (Texas, Virginia, Georgia Tech) their toughest game is GT due to the problems ND has been having with the triple option lately. They're like a Navy on steroids, and Navy always gives ND problems.

From ND's perspective, and correct me if I'm wrong, Texas has got some issues at QB to deal with, while their (Texas') strength lies at the DL. ND feels that their OL can negate that however.....6'5 325 per man and athletic. Left Tackle is a RD 1 lock in the next draft, Right Tackle is a 6'7 325 monster, and a future high round pick as well. The Oline will be even better this year. This is the same offensive line that put 270 yards on 50 carries against LSU (#1 SEC defense last year).

It could go one of two ways.....in the last few openers ND has put up about 50 points, but they traditionally start off slow. I don't see a very high scoring game, but I don't know too much about Texas and their spring this year.

Hornosaurus......I also can not wait for this game....."Game Day" worthy IMO even though there are a few other marquee games .....

ND feels that out of the first three games (Texas, Virginia, Georgia Tech) their toughest game is GT due to the problems ND has been having with the triple option lately. They're like a Navy on steroids, and Navy always gives ND problems.

From ND's perspective, and correct me if I'm wrong, Texas has got some issues at QB to deal with, while their (Texas') strength lies at the DL. ND feels that their OL can negate that however.....6'5 325 per man and athletic. Left Tackle is a RD 1 lock in the next draft, Right Tackle is a 6'7 325 monster, and a future high round pick as well. The Oline will be even better this year. This is the same offensive line that put 270 yards on 50 carries against LSU (#1 SEC defense last year).

It could go one of two ways.....in the last few openers ND has put up about 50 points, but they traditionally start off slow. I don't see a very high scoring game, but I don't know too much about Texas and their spring this year.

I wouldn't bank on the Spring game to give you answers, the staff is sand bagging...

The glorified practice was missing key personnel:
Roderick Bernard
Caleb Bluiett
Desmond Jackson
Derick Roberson
Jermaine Roberts
Duke Thomes
Marcus Johnson
Sheroid Evans
Darius Jones
Chris Nelson
Dalton Santos

Did not participate. Several starters in this group. The only take away I got from the simplified game calls due to it being practice was that the offense is moving at a faster pace, it is a spread, nothing pro form about it, Both QB's made their reads fairly well,the OL is improved but still a year away, the new offense helps the under developed line play, Heard can burn you, Swoopes is more refined I'm not saying he's a threat, Heard can throw a good ball and throw it hot, the defense will be good but young, opposing teams rushing the football will be met by Malik Jefferson, Jason Hall, Edwin Freeman and those yet to be named. They are going to end up being pretty good in the middle and Jefferson can get where he needs to be in a hurry, the DL is the strength of the team but ND will get a good push, it's the backfield that will need to contain. If Texas has to load the box, ND will likely get a great opportunity to expose the youth that will be in the secondary. Ya never know until we see them play.

ND will score....Can Texas?

ND seems to be happy about the offense, what is their take on the defense?

I wouldn't bank on the Spring game to give you answers, the staff is sand bagging...

The glorified practice was missing key personnel:
Roderick Bernard
Caleb Bluiett
Desmond Jackson
Derick Roberson
Jermaine Roberts
Duke Thomes
Marcus Johnson
Sheroid Evans
Darius Jones
Chris Nelson
Dalton Santos

Did not participate. Several starters in this group. The only take away I got from the simplified game calls due to it being practice was that the offense is moving at a faster pace, it is a spread, nothing pro form about it, Both QB's made their reads fairly well,the OL is improved but still a year away, the new offense helps the under developed line play, Heard can burn you, Swoopes is more refined I'm not saying he's a threat, Heard can throw a good ball and throw it hot, the defense will be good but young, opposing teams rushing the football will be met by Malik Jefferson, Jason Hall, Edwin Freeman and those yet to be named. They are going to end up being pretty good in the middle and Jefferson can get where he needs to be in a hurry, the DL is the strength of the team but ND will get a good push, it's the backfield that will need to contain. If Texas has to load the box, ND will likely get a great opportunity to expose the youth that will be in the secondary. Ya never know until we see them play.

ND will score....Can Texas?

ND seems to be happy about the offense, what is their take on the defense?

ND feels pretty good about their defense and expect and effort closer to the first 6 games of the season than the end of the season....NFL style scheme, 2nd year in the system, the athletes needed to execute it, etc. Depth is a slight concern at safety, but we have a 5th year transfer in Sebastian coming in that should fight for 2nd team...Redfield and Shumate are pretty much ingrained as the starters. Shumate is the hitter, Redfield has range to cover the field. Producing a rush without blitzing is going to be a concern.....right now it looks like ND might have one lineman that could rush the QB, and maybe another 2 or 3 unproven (freshman) players. Linebacker is finally deep, and we have a couple of really good ones in Smith and Morgan. Corners are actually stout, and ND feels very very good about where they are at with the starters, Cole Luke and K. Russell (if he returns from academic issues). ND is expecting a top 25 type defense, and it may be a legitimate goal this year. Last year ND started with a 12 ppg against average, only to end the last 6 games allowing about 40 ppg, before getting their stuff together vs LSU...so it was all over last year, but overall, the feel is that ND will have a good to very good (not great) defense, unless there is some overachieving, a la 2012.

I'm actually looking forward to this game just the fact that we are playing ND and its a must see game. And to see Tori Hunter son and Patrick Robinson son two Texas boys.

Of the ND teams under Kelly this 'should' be his best, roster wise. Now what we will actually see no one knows. Just like for the Texas spring game. The ND spring game was very vanilla. And just a glorified scrimmage. On the offense there will be this stupid 'QB contest' right up until a couple of weeks before the Texas game. However I would be happy with either one taking the first snap.

I'm not as sold on the ND offensive line as many are. I think it is a solid line. I don't think it is as elite as many think. For the running game, there are some great horses in the stable. The question will be what they do with them. ND last year was very balanced 50/50 in pass vs rush attempts. But the vast majority of the yards came in the pass game, not the run game. ND's best rusher last year was Folston and he didn't break the 900 yards for the season mark. At WR, and TE. That is seriously where ND has more depth and quality of depth then almost any team in the nation. Fuller, Carlisle, Robinson, Hunter, Brown, Koyak, Smythe, Prosise. All of those can hit you for big yards.

On Defense if the expected happens for each spot. Then every starter could be a returning starter. And every 2nd deep player will have at least 1 while at ND. Their problem will be execution. There isn't much outright edge pass blitz. So they will instead rely on pushing the pocket and collapsing it to force the QB to the edge and help the pass rush. The single biggest difference that Texas will see in ND vs Texas, vs ND and say the USC game. Is the ND team being healthy. ND was absolutely snake bitten in injuries down the stretch last year.

I am thinking it will be a 7 point game at the end of the day. I really like Strong. I really liked him when he was at ND. Wish he would have came back as a HC. Like his way of doing business.

I'll be heading up to South Bend (1 sister and both brother-in-laws are alumni) and will be fully expecting a 2 TD loss. I'd say ND is up by around 10 after the 2nd quarter and stays there. Never comfortable but never in trouble.

Brian Kelly will have the offense ready. Although Strong is a defensive coach, Texas linebackers are a weak point and the secondary still has massive holes to fill. If we don't have young players ready to step up or senior players who have progressed extremely well under his second year, our "strength" will be in shortening the game.

Was hard to tell a lot from the spring (very vanilla) but what we did get...

On the whole QB peices...
1.) Golson looked legit but is transferring. Zaire will be the starting QB
2.) Zaire is an elite athlete, absolutely lethal with his legs in the zone-read, and has every passing tool in the book (arm strength, accuracy, etc.)
3.) Zaire is inconsistent in the passing game and in his reads. He made gorgeous throws into some small windows for HUGE gains...and then missed easy throws to wide open receivers, on screens, etc. He also simply made the wrong decisions in the run game and passing game at times

On the rest...
1.) Our starting OL should be dominant. They looked much more settled than in 2015 and seemed organized and physical. Every tool in the book is present (size, length, athleticism, power, experience, depth, etc) but they need to show up and be consistent and physical each week

2.) Our RB/APB position is the best it's been at ND in a long time. 2014's leading rusher Folston (900 yards, 5 YPC, 5 TD), and #2 Rusher Bryant (300 yards, 5.4 YPC, 3 TD) both return...but are both being pushed for time by the star of the entire spring WR/RB Prosise. Prosise has moved into a hybrid WR/RB role, after being productive in the slot in 2014 (500 yards, 18 YPC, 2 TD) and has already shown a lot of promise running the ball. He brings a size/speed/athleticism element to the position that we didn't have before

3.) WR/TE will be one of the most talented and versatile units in CFB for 2015...but we need to build more consistentcy here. Not many teams can match the talent, production, or versatility of the ND WR and TE positions with players like Fuller (5'11", elite speed --1,100 yards, 15 TD), Robinson (6'5", elite range -- 550 yards, 5 TD), etc. returning...but they need to show they can consistently run clean routes and catch the ball cleanly

4.) DL still lacks a real edge rush. Our DL looks pretty strong agaisnt the run, especially as it continues to get healthier. But there doesn't appear to be a legit edge rusher who can get after the QB. This will have to be done by commity and blitzes...which is risky

5.) CB play should be elite. With Cole Luke and KaiVarrie Russell, ND could well have the best CB duo in all of CFB. We'll need a #3 CB to emerge, but Nick Watkins is starting to look like he could do that. This should be a great unit

6.) Safety play will likely be the KEY to the defense...and the key to safety play will be mental and communication. We have all the athleticism possible at safety, but we need MASSIVE improvement in recognition, understanding, decision-making, and communication. We heard that this was really improving during the spring...but it needs to show up on the field

Those are really the main take-aways for ND from the spring

I'm sure we'll learn a lot more in the fall, as health and the QB position sort themselves out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT