ADVERTISEMENT

Official RRR thread

So now all of the sudden Texas is the better team? lol They played better and with more emotion TODAY. The week before they got killed by TCU and will probably suffer the same fate to Baylor and others.

I think that it's hard to say who's "better". Given the makeup of our team, I think we're at a point where we have the potential to be a better team when things are clicking and the potential to be a worse team when things aren't. Cop out answer? Maybe. But that's the nature of the beast. I guess the question would be, on the average, who is the better team? And so far this season, probably OU. But it's entirely possible this is the point where our improvements are gaining on whatever OU has to offer? But there's only one way to find out, and that's to watch the rest of the games.

I think this year it would be silly to expect that we couldn't possibly have another dud with all the youth on the field, but it would be entirely possible... maybe even likely, for us to play up to and beat someone we "aren't supposed to" and that we should be in most of the other games.

I expect that, provided recruiting goes decently this year, next year will be a better version of that. People on this board have wanted to try to quantify how many games we need to win for Coach Strong to feel good about his prospects going forward, but I think that's tricky. For one, it clearly depends a bit on how good other teams are. But I think maybe even bigger, we're going to have a good enough upside to have an upset or two and beat the "tough" teams on the schedule, but will be a season away from not having at least one of those games where we reeeeeally shouldn't have lost it.

I'll say, just like I said before this week's game, the biggest thing this year will be if we play well enough to convince recruits and current players that things might be getting better. The chaos with the tweets and the media and fans going after Coach Strong last week hurt that possibility. A game like this week's helps fix that.

Hopefully they spend the next to weeks working their asses off to get ready for KSU. That would be a huge game to win, given the next two games that come after that. A 4 game winning streak isn't impossible, and would be a reeeeeally big deal right now. In the mean time, it should be interesting to watch you guys play them next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT