ADVERTISEMENT

OL Recruiting - You Win Upfront

dj701919

Nov 20, 2012
This is going to be long, but based on the Brockermeyer’s commitments, we need to have this discussion.

Since 2011, we have signed 43 OL recruits.

OL offers since 2011: 16 5 Star – 1 signed(He transferred), 80 4 Star – 24 Signed, 49 3 Star – 17 Signed, 2 2Star – 1 Signed

2011 - Signed
  • Garrett Greanlea – 4 Star (Texas) Started zero games
  • Josh Cochran – 4 Star (Texas) Started 21 games, 7 Games at LT Fr year, retired 3 games into Jr season (shoulder issues)
  • Taylor Doyle – 3 Star (Texas) Started 23 games - JAG
  • Sedrick Flowers – 4 Star (Texas) Started 35 games - JAG
  • Marcus Hutchins – 3 Star (Texas) Started 12 games as a junior and 2 as a senior – JAG
2012 - Signed
  • Kennedy Estelle – 4 Star (Texas) Started 1 Game and played in 12, got kicked out of the program
  • Camrhon Hughes – 4 Star (Texas) Started 6 games – not even a JAG
  • Donald Hawkins – 4 Star (Texas) Started 11 games as Jr, moved to DL as Sr
  • Curtis Riser – 4 Star (Texas) – never started a game
2013 - Signed
  • Kent Perkins – 4 Star (Texas) – Started 33 games, 2nd Team Big 12 as a senior
  • Desmond Harrison – 3 Star (Texas) never started a game
  • Darius James – 5 Star (Texas) – Started 2 games, transferred to Auburn and started 20 games
  • Rami Hammad – 4 Star (Texas) – never played a down, stalker, went to prison?
  • Jake Raulerson – 4 Star (Texas) – Started 5 games, transferred to Arkansas and started 9 more games

2014 - Signed
  • Elijah Rodriguez – 3 Star (Texas) Started 18 games JAG
  • Alex Anderson – 3 Star (Texas) Started 1 game JAG
  • Terrell Cuney – 3 Star (Texas) Started 8 games JAG

2015 - Signed
  • Connor Williams – 3 Star (Texas) Started 28 games, 2016 AA, 2nd Rnd, best Olineman on campus the day he arrived
  • Brandon Hodges – 3 Star (Texas) Started 9 games JAG
  • Buck Major – 3 Star (Texas) ruptured the flexor tendon in his ring finger and medically retired
  • Tristan Nickelson – 2 Star (Texas) – Started 12 games
  • Garrett Thomas – 3 Star (Texas) gave up football after Fr season
  • Patrick Vahe – 4 Star (Texas) Started 45 games
2016 - Signed
  • Jean Delance – 4 Star (Texas) Played in 2 games, transferred to Florida, Started 13 games as a Sr JAG
  • JP Urquidez – 4 Star (Texas) Zero starts JAG
  • Patrick Hudson – 4 Star (Texas) Zero starts, medical retirement
  • Denzel Okafor – 4 Star (Texas) Started 1 game JAG
  • Tope Imade – 3 Star (Texas) Zero starts JAG
  • Zach Shackleford – 3 Star (Texas) Started 40 games, 1st Team B12, slightly above JAG

2017 - Signed
  • Sam Cosmi – 3 Star (Texas) Started 26 games, Fr AA, 2nd Team B12, Project 1st day pick
  • Derek Kerstetter – 3 Star (Texas) Started 28 Games JAG

2018 - Signed
  • Junior Angilau – 4 Star (Texas) Started 12 games,
  • Reese Moore – 4 Star (Texas) Started zero games, knee injury
  • Rafiti Ghirmai – 4 Star (Texas) Started zero games
  • Max Grandy – 3 Star (Texas) Didn’t get out of Spring football, medically retired concussions
  • Christian Jones – 3 Star (Texas) Started zero games

2019 - Signed

• Tyler Johnson – 4 Star (Texas)
  • Isaiah Hookfin – 4 Star (Texas)
  • Javonne Shepherd – 4 Star (Texas) – Already Transferred
  • Willie Tyler – 3 Star (Texas)

We went from the Mack Brown Era to guy who evidently have no idea how to evaluate OL talent. We followed that up with a guy that recruits using the carpet bombing method. He had success recruiting by trying to lockdown all of the talent in the city. He gets to Texas and ignores State talent to recruit nationally and lets Alabama, Ohio State, and ou come in and have their pick of OL talent.

Those programs understand the value of quality linemen. We like Wrs and DBs. I've never heard anyone say you win from the outside.

First off, there is a reason Mack and Strong don't coach here any more. Tom's recruiting is all that matters.

I don't fault Tom for the hand he was dealt his first two years, however last year and this year are on him. when Blake Brockermeyer doesn't want his kids at Texas you know something is wrong. Keep in mind Bruce Matthews didn't want his kids at Texas when Mack was here. That should also tell you something. Two great offensive linemen who know how to play the game doesn't want his kids here.

To me this says we have a problem with the oline coach. That has been the case since Mack Brown took the job at Texas.

We have some talent, but we obviously need an upgrade to a offensive line coach that has the respect of guys who know how to teach the position of offensive line. I have no idea who that should be, but I'd talk to guys like Brockermeyer, Gene Chilton, and some of our other Exes that spent time in the NFL to get a handle on who is the best.

Reactions: westx
BTW, I would go after Jack Del Rio for our next coach. I think he is exactly what we need on the sideline, not sure if he fits the culture at Texas, but he knows NFL coaching.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
First off, there is a reason Mack and Strong don't coach here any more. Tom's recruiting is all that matters.

I don't fault Tom for the hand he was dealt his first two years, however last year and this year are on him. when Blake Brockermeyer doesn't want his kids at Texas you know something is wrong. Keep in mind Bruce Matthews didn't want his kids at Texas when Mack was here. That should also tell you something. Two great offensive linemen who know how to play the game doesn't want his kids here.

To me this says we have a problem with the oline coach. That has been the case since Mack Brown took the job at Texas.

We have some talent, but we obviously need an upgrade to a offensive line coach that has the respect of guys who know how to teach the position of offensive line. I have no idea who that should be, but I'd talk to guys like Brockermeyer, Gene Chilton, and some of our other Exes that spent time in the NFL to get a handle on who is the best.

I was just trying to provide some context of how bad we have been and the impact. Tom Herman isn't closing the deal with the premiere OL talent in the state and in some instances, he hasn't even offered.

I do not believe that we put the appropriate emphasis on oline recruiting.

Lots of scenarios where there is no reason to offer. Good example is the ags didn't offer the Brockermeyer bros. Not that they weren't good enough for an offer, they knew it was a waste of time and resources to offer them. Same with blowu.

When we don't offer someone it is generally because we have either no shot, they have little shot of making it into school, or there is something we don't like about them. It could be physical, it could be behavior problems. You never know. It's 100% on the coaches. They will never give us the why they didn't offer, I take it as they had their reasons.

Lots of scenarios where there is no reason to offer. Good example is the ags didn't offer the Brockermeyer bros. Not that they weren't good enough for an offer, they knew it was a waste of time and resources to offer them. Same with blowu.

When we don't offer someone it is generally because we have either no shot, they have little shot of making it into school, or there is something we don't like about them. It could be physical, it could be behavior problems. You never know. It's 100% on the coaches. They will never give us the why they didn't offer, I take it as they had their reasons.
Aggies and sooners would have taken bother Brockermeyers in a freaking heartbeat
Reason 1-- talent
Reason 2-- to rub in our faces forever

BTW, I would go after Jack Del Rio for our next coach. I think he is exactly what we need on the sideline, not sure if he fits the culture at Texas, but he knows NFL coaching.

Del Rio would be good, however, he doesn't resemble Shaka Smart so he's not a fit.

Del Rio?....seriously...Why Del Rio?

NFL chops, check. NFL head coach, check. Evaluate and train talent, check. Rigid enough personality to hold admin and players accountable, check. He would rub the sjw's the wrong way so it will never happen.

NFL chops, check. NFL head coach, check. Evaluate and train talent, check. Rigid enough personality to hold admin and players accountable, check. He would rub the sjw's the wrong way so it will never happen.

Jack Del Rio huh?

NFL loser? Check
NFL loser twice? Check

Jack Del Rio huh?

NFL loser? Check
NFL loser twice? Check

Don't get me wrong here. I would rather have Urban Meyer or Dabo. I would take Saban in a millisecond but let us be truthful here, Jack Del Rio is better than Tommy 2 fingers.

I know that there are people on here that will throw a fit, but I would have a conversation with Tony Dungy.

I know that there are people on here that will throw a fit, but I would have a conversation with Tony Dungy.
I would take Jerry Glanville at this point. I would also take Dungy. I would take any coach who knows how to win and keep the focus on winning. I would love Urban Meyer to coach here but I guess that is wishful thinking. I hope Herman can turn it around but seriously doubt it.

Art Briles?

You think the SJWs will let anyone named Briles near our campus?

This is not going to go over well, but Josh Heupel is a guy to keep an eye on.

Texas needs to get over the "must have prior head coaching experience" requirement.

You think the SJWs will let anyone named Briles near our campus?

This is not going to go over well, but Josh Heupel is a guy to keep an eye on.

Texas needs to get over the "must have prior head coaching experience" requirement.

Nope, the next head coach needs to have skins on the wall. Anyone who has to learn their way around will not work at Texas because there is too much of a learning curve and I'm not talking about a mid major school either. That is why Strong failed and why Tommy is failing.

Jack Del Rio huh?

NFL loser? Check
NFL loser twice? Check
Agreed. Del Rio is a southern Cali guy and an NFL guy. He doesn't have the mentality to deal with children. He's used to seeing with professionals. We have far more children on our roster than professionals.

Tommy is failing
I wouldn’t go that far. I am as unhappy these days as anyone, but he is making slow progress. He hasn’t produced a conference title, I get that. But, he has only been here for 3 seasons. It took Mack 7-8 seasons to win his first outright conference championship then ended his career at Texas on a 4 year dry run. One more thing, he has been here 3 seasons and is 3-0 in bowl wins with the last two being over very high ranked Georgia and Utah. This upcoming season seems to look very good for Texas with Ehlinger, Cosmi, Ossai, and the whole secondary. Right now, I see the glass half full and believe it or not, I haven’t given up on Herman.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Thought this thread was about getting good OL and an OL coach. Was daddy Brock interested or offered the OL coaching position at Texas or anywhere else?
Alot of speculation has been said where the Brockmeyers chose bama, but wonder what the real reason from their own mouth as to why?

Thought this thread was about getting good OL and an OL coach. Was daddy Brock interested or offered the OL coaching position at Texas or anywhere else?
Alot of speculation has been said where the Brockmeyers chose bama, but wonder what the real reason from their own mouth as to why?

I think that it came down to Blake's lack of confidence in Herman and the lack of big-time success of winning and Texas not developing O-linemen and putting them in the NFL. Also, Bama's track record of winning and putting players in the NFL.

I wouldn’t go that far. I am as unhappy these days as anyone, but he is making slow progress. He hasn’t produced a conference title, I get that. But, he has only been here for 3 seasons. It took Mack 7-8 seasons to win his first outright conference championship then ended his career at Texas on a 4 year dry run. One more thing, he has been here 3 seasons and is 3-0 in bowl wins with the last two being over very high ranked Georgia and Utah. This upcoming season seems to look very good for Texas with Ehlinger, Cosmi, Ossai, and the whole secondary. Right now, I see the glass half full and believe it or not, I haven’t given up on Herman.

How many mediocre teams will he need to lose to this year before he's a failure?

Nope, the next head coach needs to have skins on the wall. Anyone who has to learn their way around will not work at Texas because there is too much of a learning curve and I'm not talking about a mid major school either. That is why Strong failed and why Tommy is failing.

I originally started this thread to show how a decades worth of abysmal Oline recruiting has lead us to our current situation.

At least Herman has RS his oline recruits. All of the major programs RS their lineman unless he is an absolute stud. The problem is that there are some stud Oline recruits in Texas this year and not only are they not committed to Texas, they're committed to Alabama and Ohio State.

Reactions: freeper
How many mediocre teams will he need to lose to this year before he's a failure?
I'll put it this way, this year's result is big. Anything less than conference title and/or 10 win season. He has "his" guy at QB and his recruits with experience at key positions. Btw, your OP is 100% on point. Why can't we focus more energy on the OL and DL. I have made the same argument. We had Orlando trying to run a 3 man defensive front without the real horses needed to run that scheme. The abundance of WR/DB aren't as effective when your OL/DL is average at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT