ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (1979) - Apex of Musical Storytelling

VY44

Silver Member
Sep 10, 2023
Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (1979) was the band's 11th studio album, as well as a full length musical feature film

When you start to peal the layers back, the storyline and comprehensiveness of this record is remarkable. The originality, storyline, and creativity is unparalleled in my opinion.

"The Wall" is like a novel. The listening experience from end to finish hits different. There is a plot to it. The albums storyline and cohesiveness is a thing of beauty. If you are unaware of the background to this record, or the feature film, and it's plot, etc...I recommend you read up on it and watch the movie. For some perspective on the inception of the album:

"Pink Floyd had just come off a huge stadium tour on which the Waters experienced a sense of loathing and contempt toward audience members who were ‘singing along’ and exhibiting unhinged behavior. It got so bad that Waters spat in a fan’s face...He fantasized about creating a wall between the band and the audience and used this as a springboard to build a story brick by metaphorical brick..."

"Waters began writing storylines and ideas for two different albums, one of which featured a character named Pink who was somewhat based upon his own life. Like Waters, Pink is left with feelings of abandonment caused by the death of his father in World War II. He is traumatised by his dealings with authority figures such as an over-protective mother and abusive schoolteachers and in the ultimate act of defiance, becomes a rock star. The dark side of public celebrity and success rears its ugly head and Pink succumbs to drug use and infidelity and even has hallucinations of being a violent fascist."

here are some pieces that I think speak to the genius of this musical creation:

Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2
Mother
Young Lust
Hey You
Is There Anybody Out There?
In the Flesh
Run Like Hell & Waiting for the Worms
The Trial

I personally think "The Wall" is unparalleled - one of the most groundbreaking and greatest pieces of music ever put together, largely due to the comprehensive and cohesive nature of the music. I don't think anything has ever been done quite like it.

Where does this record stand in the opinion of others?

I am curious to hear what other albums people think are on a similar level to these creative aspects of this timeless record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News