ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sales tactics

Dirty_Franke

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I work for a local brewery (The Brewtorium) selling draft beer to the Austin market and suburbs. I started in February and things are going pretty well considering we're basically starting from near zero. This is my first foray into sales and wondered if any of you sales guys out there have any techniques for creatively getting the buyers attention? It's an uphill battle for me as we're self distributed, don't have much brand recognition and our tap handles are non-specific to the type of beer in the keg which doesn't draw the customers eye super well.

I've tried to look at the market and identify places with over 12 taps that are willing to try new things and have self distributed beer on tap. Basically right now I go in, get contact information for the decision maker and try to set up tastings and failing that dropping off samples for them to try at their leisure. I've had very good success in Georgetown where I live and to some extent Round Rock but the Austin market is a tough nut to crack with buyers not being around much during the day and being locked into the established brands that are distributed by the big guys. I've extended invites to come to the brewery for food and beer with no success and mainly I just try to pester them into giving us a shot and depending on the quality and variety of the beer we produce to make inroads.

Anyone have any tricks of the trade that may help? TIA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News