ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 expansion & UT/OU exit article on The Athletic

Travis Galey

@travisgaley
Aug 12, 2012
The Athletic is out with a new piece on Pac-12 expansion. There are some interesting nuggets in the article.

Basically, the Pac-12 hasn’t done a new media rights deal yet because it hasn’t found anyone willing to pay what they think they’re worth. I will note (or brag - depending on your point of view), I wrote multiple articles this summer outlining all of the reasons why I thought the Pac-12 would struggle to find a good deal. So now the conference is probably going to sign away most of its deal to a streaming partner…hence the interest in SMU and San Diego State.

I do believe the fact that Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff is so publicly visiting expansion targets means they are close to expanding. I also believe that it means a new media rights deal is close too. You don’t add those schools if you don’t know exactly what kind of value they add in any new deal.

Finally, the article also talked about UT and OU’s Big 12 departure but they basically repeated exactly what @Anwar Richardson has been reporting…that talks for a 2024 departure continue.

Reactions: Maximus3405
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News