ADVERTISEMENT

Poker Players … what would you do?

Travis Galey

@travisgaley
Aug 12, 2012
So I’m playing in the $1,100 main event on Card Player poker cruise. The blinds are at $400-$800 and I’m on the button with about $45k in my stack.

There is a raise to $2,500 in front of me with one caller. I look down at the Queen/10 of hearts and call.

The flop comes 7-8-9, rainbow giving me an open-ended straight draw. The first to act raised to $6k leaving him $18 behind and the next guy calls. I thought about it and decided that these guys were likely to end up playing for it all (about $25k each). Given that, I decided against chasing the draw and laid it down but I hated doing so.

What would you have done?

##### SPOILERS #####

The turn came a Q which would have given me top pair and the open ended draw. The first player shoved and the other guy called. They turn their cards over and the first to act had pocket 7’s and flopped a set, the second guy had pocket Q’s and turned a better set. The river was a 6 giving me the straight and the win … had I stayed. That would have put me at about $90k and in a commanding position to make day two.

As it was, I ended up getting crippled when someone hit trip 10’s and then busted when my A-10 got beat by an A-Q.

The good news is that my wife made day two and is fourth in chips heading into play tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News